Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 24, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #6,736 of 6,844
This is has been confusing
Jermo uses capsules and and drivers interchangeably in the same paragraph just as the capsules/drivers can be interchanged. :)
Just to add some background: An HD 660S2 with the HD 650 capsules (drivers) will sound exactly like an HD 650, since the earpads and the baffle (metal mesh part around the driver) is exactly the same. The same applies vice versa.
You can get a different result by implanting HD 660S2 drivers (capsules) into the HD 600, since the baffle has less acoustic impedance and you lose some amplitude below 1kHz, which makes the upper mids more forward and less "mellow".
That being said, I don't endorse taking your headphones apart ;^)

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #6,737 of 6,844
My understanding is that the term "capsule" has always been used for a driver alone. Hence it is rather confusing to start using it for the enclosure surrounding a driver or part of the enclosure. (I hope I am not making things worst).

May 26, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #6,738 of 6,844
So I have a set of HD660S V2 on the way. What can I expect over the 6XX/650 or 600? I have both of those right now.

May 26, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #6,739 of 6,844
My understanding is that the term "capsule" has always been used for a driver alone. Hence it is rather confusing to start using it for the enclosure surrounding a driver or part of the enclosure. (I hope I am not making things worst).
The drivers are encased in a capsule to facilitate replacement by the end user so we often say capsule or driver, Tyll Hertsens called it the lollipop. : )

May 27, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #6,741 of 6,844
Running these today on a new-to-me amp, the Lehmann Audio Linear amp. Very clean and clear amp. Pretty neutral. Sweet combo.

IMG_20240527_163017787_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20240527_160415075_HDR~2.jpg

May 27, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #6,742 of 6,844
Hi, looking for a portable device to power the 660S2. Has anyone paired the S2 with a Mojo2? Can a Mojo2 push the S2 comfortably?

May 27, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #6,743 of 6,844
Running these today on a new-to-me amp, the Lehmann Audio Linear amp. Very clean and clear amp. Pretty neutral. Sweet combo.
Due to their design philosophy Lehmann was on my short list for years.....never did get to use one though. As Sennheiser used them at their demos probably closer to my HDVD800 than my Bryston BHA1, I would think. :thinking:

May 27, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #6,744 of 6,844
Due to their design philosophy Lehmann was on my short list for years.....never did get to use one though. As Sennheiser used them at their demos probably closer to my HDVD800 than my Bryston BHA1, I would think. :thinking:
Nice sound and tons of power, for me. I am on the lowest gain setting and I can't go past 10:00. My hardest to drive headphone now is likely my Arya's and I will pull them out tomorrow.

May 28, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #6,745 of 6,844
Hi, looking for a portable device to power the 660S2. Has anyone paired the S2 with a Mojo2? Can a Mojo2 push the S2 comfortably?

I have it and it's a great match:darthsmile:

May 28, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #6,746 of 6,844
May 28, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #6,748 of 6,844
Okay so I have the 660S2 in my possession. Right now doing a comparison with my HD600 and 650/6XX. First impressions are there is more bass than the 600. I assume the 600 would be the most flat or neutral of the three. May even be a touch more bass than the 6XX but not much. Despite more bass the 660S2 may be more detailed than the others. But I think that also depends on what amp you're are using. My Feliks Echo Mk2 seems to bring the vocals and mids more forward than my Schiit Midgard. Almost makes the 660S2 seem "shouty". When using the 660S2 I noticed a bigger change switching amps compared with the 6XX when switching amps. I honestly don't know how long the seller had the 660S2 for. They do seems brand new as the pads are still very firm. Definitely not broken in yet.

May 28, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #6,749 of 6,844
I've noticed the shout too but only with one specific song in my library featuring a female vocalist. I think they're perfect with the amount of treble energy however.

I used to have an Echo and was debating grabbing another but if a cheap Wa6 pops up again I'll grab that instead to save some desk space and $$$

I still think this headphone is absolutely phenomenal. The level of detail without sibilance or being overly hot is incredible, while still having a full and satisfying mid range. I continue to be in love with the imaging which really makes you feel like you're in the music. I also think the soundstage itself is perfect, I could take bigger but I don't feel limited by it and the music itself is spread out so well it's really immersive. It's a big change because I used to be a soundstage chaser but these changed what I listen for

May 28, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #6,750 of 6,844
I've noticed the shout too but only with one specific song in my library featuring a female vocalist. I think they're perfect with the amount of treble energy however.

I used to have an Echo and was debating grabbing another but if a cheap Wa6 pops up again I'll grab that instead to save some desk space and $$$

I still think this headphone is absolutely phenomenal. The level of detail without sibilance or being overly hot is incredible, while still having a full and satisfying mid range. I continue to be in love with the imaging which really makes you feel like you're in the music. I also think the soundstage itself is perfect, I could take bigger but I don't feel limited by it and the music itself is spread out so well it's really immersive. It's a big change because I used to be a soundstage chaser but these changed what I listen for

Well the ones I got are essentially brand new. The previous owner said he barely used them since getting them last fall. So maybe they need some more time to break in.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back