Sennheiser HD 600s or HD 650s for rock / techno?
Aug 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

davidvanderbilt

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I decided to go ahead and take the leap into higher end gear since I now have a headphone amp. My question is which one of these cans will be best suited for rock/techno? I don't know if anyone has heard the sound signature (tapered off highs and highly present mids) of the HD 448s, but I loved them for rock and techno, I just wish they had a little more defined bass. I am afraid that if I go with the 600s they will be to bright or if I go with the HD 650's they will be too dark for rock. Can anyone give me any advice?

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 10
The HD 650's are not too dark for rock. Basically all I listen to is Rock/Electronic. Just keep in mind they have a smooth sound signature that not everyone likes. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 10
exactly, it's about taste, 600/650 are not perse good or bad for whatever style music.

I liked the more musical 650's more, much more then 600. Others prefer the more neutral 600.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Heya,

The HD600's are not bright, at all. They're very laid back. They're a good neutral easy-mode-listening headphone. The HD650's are similar, with more bass, and even more roll off, making them dark and veiled sounding. Are you completely sold on Sennheiser or something? Check out the Grado SR225, Ultrasone HFI 580 (or go straight to PRO 900), Beyer DT770.

Very best,

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 10
I will recommend the HD600 (over HD650) for these genres because it offers forward midrange with good bass impact. The other headphones for rock n techno are like HFI2400, SR325i, Sony SA5000, DT990 and AD900.

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Heya,

The HD600's are not bright, at all. They're very laid back. They're a good neutral easy-mode-listening headphone. The HD650's are similar, with more bass, and even more roll off, making them dark and veiled sounding. Are you completely sold on Sennheiser or something? Check out the Grado SR225, Ultrasone HFI 580 (or go straight to PRO 900), Beyer DT770.

Very best,

Thanks for the response. I have actually tried both the SR 225 and the Ultrasone HFI 580s (which i currently have still- i think they are good but too bright), but i just like the sound signature that the sennheisers have to offer normally. I do like the Ultrasone HFI 580s, they are fun -  I just really like most of the Sennheisers I've listened to and wanted to see what all the fuss is about with the higher end models.

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 10
One fuss you might encounter with more expensive headphones is you might find them "fussier" with amplification. That said if you get it right, you get it really right. I find my HD600 sounds different with every amp I've plugged it into and (for now since my old Marantz CD60 stopped reading mixed CD-Rs) I've settled on a diyMod for my source and a Toucan for my amp. Really open sound, a little bright but Rockbox Crossfeed is enough to reduce the glare on the cymbals by moving it closer to the center of the stage.

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 10
I know a lot of people say that the HD650 has a veil and maybe that's the case for the ones with the older drivers, but I just got a new pair myself and used them to replace a pair of AT AD700s which are a brighter Can, but I tell you what I don't think there is a "veil" at all with the 650s.  Yes they are much smoother so there is less edge to some rock tunes, but they sound great for Rock overall and I really like them. 

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I know a lot of people say that the HD650 has a veil and maybe that's the case for the ones with the older drivers, but I just got a new pair myself and used them to replace a pair of AT AD700s which are a brighter Can, but I tell you what I don't think there is a "veil" at all with the 650s.  Yes they are much smoother so there is less edge to some rock tunes, but they sound great for Rock overall and I really like them. 

Right... they're referring to the "old version" - the "new version" has no veil. 

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 10
I'd vote for the 650 if you are going to invest in a proper amp at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back