Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #4,427 of 23,431
I think my ideal headphone would be an HD600 with angled pads that also very slightly increase the low bass. I'm sure Senn will never do that because you would have a $500 headphone that competes with the HD800. ;p

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I used to own the HD600 and enjoyed them for a long time. The HD600 is a very fine headphone, and it's good enough to satisfy anyone for a lifetime - so long as you never try the HD800. The HD800 is better than the HD600 in every way. Once I heard the HD800, I knew I would never go back.

The HD800 is a completely different headphone engineered from the ground up to be one of the best headphones in the world. The drivers, the build materials, the design are all there to achieve top-tier performance. The HD600 is not capable of competing no matter what you do to it (pads, grills, cables, etc.).

I think the HD600 is the best headphone in its segment and anyone shopping in the sub $1000 headphone category should seriously consider it. But if ones budget allows the HD800, then it's a no-brainer. The 800 wipes the floor with the 600.

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #4,428 of 23,431
Well obviously changing the grills or cable isn't going to get you an HD800 but angled pads/drivers alone would go a long way towards giving the HD600 the kind of soundstage the HD800 apparently has. Obviously there is more to the HD8800 than its improved soundstage and positioning and your point is well taken. I haven't heard the HD800 yet. I'm getting a chance to demo the HD700 soon so that should be interesting. But I would love to try the HD800 alongside the T1. One of those two will likely be my next big purchase.

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #4,429 of 23,431
  Well obviously changing the grills or cable isn't going to get you an HD800 but angled pads/drivers alone would go a long way towards giving the HD600 the kind of soundstage the HD800 apparently has. Obviously there is more to the HD8800 than its improved soundstage and positioning and your point is well taken. I haven't heard the HD800 yet. I'm getting a chance to demo the HD700 soon so that should be interesting. But I would love to try the HD800 alongside the T1. One of those two will likely be my next big purchase.

I have experimented with swapping pads on other headphones (HE-500 and D-7000) and never been satisfied. In my experience, it's robbing from Peter to pay Paul, and the results are never as good as the original. I know other people have enjoyed their results though so it might be fun to try it for yourself.

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #4,430 of 23,431
Yeah different pads can have a huge effect on the sound and usually the result is worse than just using the original pads that were designed for that headphone. I was really only referring to angling the drivers which can be accomplished with properly shaped pads. That alone makes a huge difference in terms of soundstage. Just hold your HD600's at a slight angle and see for yourself. :wink:

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #4,432 of 23,431
It also ruins the "seal" at the same time. Not a good way to demonstrate.

Yep you lose the seal so it requires a bit of imagination. Just focus on the image itself and you'll notice it gets wider and the center image in particular gets stretched out and is more "in front of you". Angling drivers is known to improve soundstage dramatically thus the angled drivers of the HD800, T1, and many others that share wide soundstages and great positioning and separation.

Oh yeah, and cables don't pick up the signature of the cans they are used with either. That's crazy.

Haha. Obviously. :wink:

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #4,434 of 23,431
I upgraded to the HD650 cables for the HD600 and I did hear a noticeable difference. I never thought cables would make that much of a difference but I am a believer. Get the HD650 cables or better. Drop  me a line if they sound better with custom cables.

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #4,435 of 23,431
I've got the HD650 cable and noticed no difference sonically. I do prefer it though because of its 1/4" plug and thicker build.

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #4,436 of 23,431
Yeah I'd have agree with Palmfish here. The 600's can be endgamers just as long as you don't hear the 800's. But I'd also add one valid point, and thats to do with treble. Some simply don't like the hd800's very revealing top end. The HD600's don't have that.. They roll off nicely. 

So it may be case of horses for courses in that respect. 

I only own two headphones now apart from my IEM's. The HD800's and HD600's. I have no need for any more.   

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #4,437 of 23,431

Don't buy the HD700s until you've had a chance to compare them to the HD800s. The HD700s are not cheap. For that kind of money, I want better. The HD800s are expensive, but still offer value for money because you get so much more. I still think you're better off with HD600s over the HD700s.

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #4,438 of 23,431
Don't buy the HD700s until you've had a chance to compare them to the HD800s. The HD700s are not cheap. For that kind of money, I want better. The HD800s are expensive, but still offer value for money because you get so much more. I still think you're better off with HD600s over the HD700s.

Totally agree with AMCAN here..

Never heard the hd700,...so...can't compare,,..I sold most of my other headphones,to help finance the 800's ,with no regrets.
With my setup,amp,dac,silver cable,& 2 new power cords{copper},,my results are outstanding-smooth,very detailed,excellent instrument separation,& just overall outstanding SQ.
Many head-fiers say that the highs on the 800's are too bright.
I have never had this issue ,maybe because 75% of my music ,is a bit on the dark side---,classical,jazz,opera,female vocals,80's rock...nothing really what I would call.."bright"

Just so you know,I got mine used, on the B/S forum for under $1K---I'd keep looking there,they do occasionally come up for sale there,and most head-fiers will work with you ,on price{.just my .02 }
They are still ...,in like new condition.

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #4,440 of 23,431
  Thanks for the input, I heard the stock cable was the weak part of these headphones and didn't really consider using it

Thats a whole other discussion..

I tried a few,but settled on the Ted Allen cables.
I use his silver-copper ,& his Silver cable,on my 800's
Outstanding prices & tech support

Users who are viewing this thread

Back