Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #4,442 of 23,472
  Well obviously changing the grills or cable isn't going to get you an HD800 but angled pads/drivers alone would go a long way towards giving the HD600 the kind of soundstage the HD800 apparently has. Obviously there is more to the HD8800 than its improved soundstage and positioning and your point is well taken. I haven't heard the HD800 yet. I'm getting a chance to demo the HD700 soon so that should be interesting. But I would love to try the HD800 alongside the T1. One of those two will likely be my next big purchase.

Don't buy the HD700s until you've had a chance to compare them to the HD800s. The HD700s are not cheap. For that kind of money, I want better. The HD800s are expensive, but still offer value for money because you get so much more. I still think you're better off with HD600s over the HD700s.

The HD700 are a very different headphone from the HD600 and even the HD800. I wasn't impressed with it and prefer the HD600. IMO the HD700 would only appeal to those who want ultra-clarity and apparent detail at the expense of realism and natural timbre. They are actually nowhere near as detailed as the HD800, but the sound signature is such that details are exaggerated and pushed in your face so it sounds a lot more detailed than it really is. It also results in a dazzling bell-like clarity that some people would appreciate but I personally find a bit unrealistic. The HD600 is much more natural sounding.

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #4,443 of 23,472

The HD700 are a very different headphone from the HD600 and even the HD800. I wasn't impressed with it and prefer the HD600. IMO the HD700 would only appeal to those who want ultra-clarity and apparent detail at the expense of realism and natural timbre. They are actually nowhere near as detailed as the HD800, but the sound signature is such that details are exaggerated and pushed in your face so it sounds a lot more detailed than it really is. It also results in a dazzling bell-like clarity that some people would appreciate but I personally find a bit unrealistic. The HD600 is much more natural sounding.

I after reading feedback from AMCAM,& now you...I'm thinking of maybe??? ,trying a pair of the 600's
Can you tell me what your driving them with..amp/dac/cables??,& whats your music preference is?

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #4,446 of 23,472
Bottlehead Crack
Bottlehead Crack
Bottlehead Crack

All else is secondary.

LOL
LOL
LOL

I know you have the crack-I read every post you write
Unfortunately,I sold my crack & bought a used Taboo

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #4,447 of 23,472
  I after reading feedback from AMCAM,& now you...I'm thinking of maybe??? ,trying a pair of the 600's
Can you tell me what your driving them with..amp/dac/cables??,& whats your music preference is?

I'm using the built-in amp on my Yulong D100 MKII DAC. The best sounding amp previously owned was the Matrix M-Stage and compared to the M-Stage (with stock op amp), the D100's amp has slightly better treble but sounds identical otherwise. With an op amp upgrade (LM4562) the M-Stage had better bass but the difference wasn't big enough to justify having both at the same time. I'll only get a dedicated amp when I can afford something that's significantly better. From what I'm hearing around these parts, the Crack is a contender.

Edit: oh right, music preferences. Umm mostly pop, Latin, salsa, world, and power ballads.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #4,451 of 23,472
Stop teasing about the Crack
tongue.gif

I'd totally get it if it weren't for its size and lack of a preamp function.

I am seriously looking at getting one, but as you said the size kind of puts me off. Hard to tell with photos, but it looks to be pretty big, nearly the same size as my cd player.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #4,452 of 23,472
Well, the Crack isn't a portable, but as high-performance amps go, I actually find it to be on the smaller end of the scale (the Violectric V181 and V200 are smaller). Strictly in terms of desk area, it's actually pretty small.

As for the HD700, I actually didn't find it all that detailed. I've read that several times, but it just didn't jive with my experience. I guess this stuff is subjective. In any case, the HD800 has buckets of detail. But I agree with DefQon, the HD600 + Crack is an endgame setup for most people. And if you ever go for the HD800s, it's not like you need a new amp.

For anyone considering the HD700s, I would ask this: what do you think it will give you that the HD600s won't? And is that something, whatever it is, worth $500-700 over the cost of the HD600s?

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #4,454 of 23,472
The Modi / Magni is a pretty tough hurdle in terms of size... If that's your bar, you might as well stop looking. But I'm willing to bet the Crack wipes the floor with the Magni when used with the HD600s.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #4,455 of 23,472
Quick question for the HD600 owners.

I have a driver on the way out.  I bought them 2nd hand (part of a trade) for an extremely good price but noticed that one earpiece is definitely lighter than the other.  I opened the cans to check, and one of the actual divers has a visible mark (indentation in the membrane) - and I'm pretty sure that's the issue.

Anyway - I got a quote today - and can get HD600 drivers (brand new pair - matched replacements) for ~ US 200 delivered.  Problem is that it could be around 3 weeks to get them.  Or I could get a matched pair of HD650 drivers for ~ US 140 delivered - and they have them in stock now - so delivery in a matter of days.

I'm based in NZ - so I can't try before I buy.  My old HD600 were black screen - so it's not simply a matter of replacing one driver.

I could get a pair of brand new HD600 for around US $300 - but by the time I pay shipping and tax - it'll run well over US $400 - so repair is the better option.

Has anyone tried using the new (silver screen) HD650 driver in an HD600 frame - and how different was it?  I've heard the HD650 - and liked it.  But I love my HD600.  Problem is that I haven't heard the new HD650 which is supposedly more neutral sounding.

Bit of a dilemma for me.  Not sure what to do.  Any help appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back