Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #2,957 of 23,430
Quote:
Sad to say I am going to try to sell my HD600s :frowning2: . I really liked them but then I got the HE-400 and now I never listen to the HD600. I'm actually trying to fund a possible LCD-2 upgrade.

So do you think the HE-400 is overall better than HD600? Are you running them both with your Schiit Asgard 2 amp?

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #2,958 of 23,430
Quote:
One thing I have noticed though is that as my other equipment gets better,  the HE-400 hardly changes. I've found the HE-400 to pair nicely with some old vintage marantz receivers but recently I grabbed the Lyr and the senns surprised me so much.

HD600 is too cheap. If they were more expensive people would tend to pair it with higher end amps that can really squeeze all that sweet juice out.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,959 of 23,430
Quote:
First time posting here but have lurked a bit over the years. I am thinking of picking a pair of HD600 to go with my first AMP/DAC setup (Magni/Modi stack). Based on some of the posts I have read this combo seems to get some mixed reviews? These phones are replacing my HD555's that just crapped out on me after many years of abuse. I am pretty sure my mind is going to be blown no matter what considering I have never heard amp driven headphones before. Also does anyone know where or when you can typically find a great price on these? 400 is max of my budget and would much rather spend close to 300. The RazorDog deal seems dead for good as I get the "The discount does not meet the requirements set by the shop for this checkout".

I've had my HD600 for around a year now and used to pair them up with my fiio e7/e9 combo.

However I never really used my HD600s all that much since on the e7/e9 combo they sounded a little sibilant, cold and harsh to my ears, I wasn't too sure if this was due to the amp or the headphones(since the general consensus is that the HD600 is more neutral compared to the HD650 I thought it was the headphones). For extended listening sessions I would have to listen to tracks eq'd for extra bass in order for them to be comfortable. For added perspective I actually preferred listening to my pair of DT770 pros 80ohms over my HD600s, simply because the sound is more relaxed, though muddy and too bass heavy. 

Anyway I replaced my e7/e9 in the last month with the Magni/Modi stack, and I'm happy to report that the sound has much improved! I didn't get a chance to A/B the e7/e9 directly against the Magni/Modi stack, but I instantly noticed an improvement on soundstage, clarity and most importantly bass punch+warmth. Overall the HD600s sound much more musical coming out of the Magni/Modi stack, I now find my ears isolating and appreciating the individual instruments in each song, e.g. individual guitar plucks have more warmth depth and texture to them, this wasn't really possible with the e7/e9. And now I'm happy with their sound with no eq straight out of itunes(and the DT770s get no time on my ears!). 

In the interim period between selling my e7/e9 and buying the Magni/Modi stack, I started to use the HD600 unamped straight from my macbook and noticed that they were actually quite enjoyable and easy to listen to compared to the e7/e9. The sound was very muddy and had little soundstage but had a nice warmth similar to what the Magni/Modi stack has. 

So to conclude I'm pretty sure that the HD600s with the Magni/Modi stack will blow your unamped HD555 out of the water. Additionally, although I'm not too sure how the Magni/Modi stack compares to other similar priced DAC/amp setups like the ODAC/02, if you can't find any conclusive evidence to tip you over any other DAC/amp combo in the price range, I can recommend that the Magni/Modi combos well with the HD600s to my ears! 

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2,960 of 23,430
Quote:
I've had my HD600 for around a year now and used to pair them up with my fiio e7/e9 combo.

Nice man the e7/e9 and Hd600 is the best set up I've ever had (and that I've listened to for longer than 10 minutes) I'm not completely sure yet but I think I might want to upgrade my e7/e9 to a bifrost & asgard 2 or lyr, keeping the HD600 and squeezing out all of the quality.  And then eventually upgrading the HD600s to LCD 2s or something along those lines.  Feels like I'd be making a massive jump from HD600 to LCD 2 but I guess there isn't very much ground to cover in between.

I actually really like the amount of bass the E7/E9 produces with the HD600.  Then again I haven't had any quality time with better set ups so I can't say very much.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #2,962 of 23,430
Quote:

However I never really used my HD600s all that much since on the e7/e9 combo they sounded a little sibilant, cold and harsh to my ears, I wasn't too sure if this was due to the amp or the headphones(since the general consensus is that the HD600 is more neutral compared to the HD650 I thought it was the headphones). For extended listening sessions I would have to listen to tracks eq'd for extra bass in order for them to be comfortable. For added perspective I actually preferred listening to my pair of DT770 pros 80ohms over my HD600s, simply because the sound is more relaxed, though muddy and too bass heavy. 

Anyway I replaced my e7/e9 in the last month with the Magni/Modi stack, and I'm happy to report that the sound has much improved! I didn't get a chance to A/B the e7/e9 directly against the Magni/Modi stack, but I instantly noticed an improvement on soundstage, clarity and most importantly bass punch+warmth. Overall the HD600s sound much more musical coming out of the Magni/Modi stack, I now find my ears isolating and appreciating the individual instruments in each song, e.g. individual guitar plucks have more warmth depth and texture to them, this wasn't really possible with the e7/e9. And now I'm happy with their sound with no eq straight out of itunes(and the DT770s get no time on my ears!). 

In the interim period between selling my e7/e9 and buying the Magni/Modi stack, I started to use the HD600 unamped straight from my macbook and noticed that they were actually quite enjoyable and easy to listen to compared to the e7/e9. The sound was very muddy and had little soundstage but had a nice warmth similar to what the Magni/Modi stack has. 

So to conclude I'm pretty sure that the HD600s with the Magni/Modi stack will blow your unamped HD555 out of the water. Additionally, although I'm not too sure how the Magni/Modi stack compares to other similar priced DAC/amp setups like the ODAC/02, if you can't find any conclusive evidence to tip you over any other DAC/amp combo in the price range, I can recommend that the Magni/Modi combos well with the HD600s to my ears! 

Funny that you said how good the HD600 sounds with the Mac Book. I have on order a refurbished HD650 and I'm working on deciding on a combo for the HD650. But I'm wondering just how good the Macbook is so at least its a great source. Thanks

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #2,963 of 23,430
Quote:
Quote:
HD600 is too cheap. If they were more expensive people would tend to pair it with higher end amps that can really squeeze all that sweet juice out.

That juice ferments into nectar of the gods when brewed with bottlehead crack.

Did you build the crack yourself?  I've had my little tube amp for 5 years, don't know if I could part with it, but the crack is tempting as a second. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #2,964 of 23,430
I'm a bit mad that I'm going to have to get my HD600 replaced already because of a faint rattling sound on the left driver with the bass hits.  Its under warranty of course but its going to suck to have to wait for a new pair as I'm realling enjoying them but at least I have the HE-400 or else I'd be pissed.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #2,965 of 23,430
Quote:
I'm a bit mad that I'm going to have to get my HD600 replaced already because of a faint rattling sound on the left driver with the bass hits.  Its under warranty of course but its going to suck to have to wait for a new pair as I'm realling enjoying them but at least I have the HE-400 or else I'd be pissed.

Take off the pads and look at the driver. There's more than likely some hair under there. I had that problem last week, but a quick clean cleared it right up. It might save you a few days of frustration.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #2,966 of 23,430
Quote:

Yep, most likely a hair. I've had that happen a few times. Its an easy fix. Use tape or a lint roller to remove any hairs from the pad and the felt covering the driver. If its still there remove the pad and suck/blow any hairs out of the driver and make sure there aren't any on the opposite side of the felt.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #2,967 of 23,430
Quote:

Take off the pads and look at the driver. There's more than likely some hair under there. I had that problem last week, but a quick clean cleared it right up. It might save you a few days of frustration.

Well I didn't see any hair or anything but I blowing out the driver and through the grill and now I don't hear it anymore so what ever it was is gone now so thanks for the tip eke and now I know to keep them clean and clear.

As for how they sound now that I've had about 30 or more hours on them is very good as they've opened up quite a bit.  The treble sound more crisp and brighter but still not harsh at all and the bass sounds cleaner along with a more open sounding midrange.  Also the soundstage feels larger and more cohesive but it hasn't been a drastic change but enough that you can notice.  The HD600 is a great change of pace HP compared to the HE-400 that I think is a bit better technically but I like both equally.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2,968 of 23,430
Quote:
So do you think the HE-400 is overall better than HD600? Are you running them both with your Schiit Asgard 2 amp?

I do. But that's just because my preferred sound signature has more bass and is darker. Plenty of people like the HD600 more. 

Yes, I'm running both with the Asgard 2. It does a fine job of running both. Volume knob at about the same point for both of them. But to be honest, the HE-400 sounds great out of even an ipod.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #2,969 of 23,430
The HE-400 & HD600 are among the most complimentary phones I've ever owned.  If I didn't get the HD800, I'd probably still own those two and call it a day as far as open backed phones go.  It's quite tough to compare the HD600 & HE-400.. their tuning is not similar enough, IMO, to draw any kind of meaningful comparative analysis.  If I had to take one though, it would be the HD600.  It doesn't have the 'mainstream' appeal the HE-400's tuning has (enhanced bass & treble).. but I find the HD600 more versatile and easier to listen to for hours on end.  Also, I find the HD600 scales better than the HE-400.  There are members running H600 off some of the finest tube amps made (i.e. Eddie Current, DNA, etc.) and mention that they were blown away by the HD600 ability to take advantage of all that upstream refinement & power. Outside of the Paradox & HD800, the HD600 is my favorite full sized phone.. it's simply timeless.

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #2,970 of 23,430
Quote:
The HE-400 & HD600 are among the most complimentary phones I've ever owned.  If I didn't get the HD800, I'd probably still own those two and call it a day as far as open backed phones go.  It's quite tough to compare the HD600 & HE-400.. their tuning is not similar enough, IMO, to draw any kind of meaningful comparative analysis.  If I had to take one though, it would be the HD600.  It doesn't have the 'mainstream' appeal the HE-400's tuning has (enhanced bass & treble).. but I find the HD600 more versatile and easier to listen to for hours on end.  Also, I find the HD600 scales better than the HE-400.  There are members running H600 off some of the finest tube amps made (i.e. Eddie Current, DNA, etc.) and mention that they were blown away by the HD600 ability to take advantage of all that upstream refinement & power. Outside of the Paradox & HD800, the HD600 is my favorite full sized phone.. it's simply timeless.

Its tuff for me to chose one also so I'm glad I don't have to having both and they do compliment each other great.  The reason I think the HE-400 is a bit better technically over all is because I think the portray a bit more micro detail and the bass is so clean and nice sounding but the HD600 is also an awesome HP and I love the fact and can put them on press play and listen for hours no problem.  Both are very comfortable to me and I have no problem wearing them for 4 or 5 hours straight.  Like I've said I'm so glad a made the jump to HP's over IEM's but I wish I did it sooner because they sound just better imo and the open feel of the soundstage is a big part of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back