Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #2,926 of 23,461
Quote:
hd600......the secret is out .
blink.gif

Ha. It wasn't mine. I have pretty close cropped hair that doesn't shed.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #2,931 of 23,461
These sound great coming out of my dads old flagship yamaha rx-v1 receiver makes me wonder if I should cancel my bottlehead crack order. My dad's receiver has an feature called "bass extension" and when I turn it on it really brings out the sub bass on my HD 600.

Do the bottlehead crack really live up to the hype? I bought the Crack with Speedball and I am having second thoughts about canceling my order. $ 400 is a lot of money, I could almost build a computer + xonar stx with that type of money.

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #2,934 of 23,461
There is a thread where a user asked this same question (way back in '03). 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/39206/using-sennheiser-hd-600-with-the-yamaha-rx-v1

That being said, it's hard to say whether-or-not your ears will perceive a 'upgrade' between the Crack vs. the receiver.  I have a couple modern receivers (Sony ES + Pioneer Elite) and I've noticed the thing they have in common is that everything seems pushed forward, which makes for a very exciting (but compressed) sound.  I personally prefer the Crack's sound; there is an airy character to the Crack which to my ears, sounds more natural and pleasing.

Quote:
These sound great coming out of my dads old flagship yamaha rx-v1 receiver makes me wonder if I should cancel my bottlehead crack order. My dad's receiver has an feature called "bass extension" and when I turn it on it really brings out the sub bass on my HD 600.

Do the bottlehead crack really live up to the hype? I bought the Crack with Speedball and I am having second thoughts about canceling my order. $ 400 is a lot of money, I could almost build a computer + xonar stx with that type of money.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #2,936 of 23,461
Yup, I went through this recently searching for a receiver that was Sennheiser friendly. Most companies dont publish headphone jack output impedance specs, so i went to Best Buy and Magnolia with my Sennheisers and Denons to physically check output impedance.

I tested Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Pioneer, Marantz, Rotel, Onkyo, and NAD. The only receivers that where low output impedance were the Pioneers. From the big expensive Class D AVRs down to the lowly $300 VSX series, they all tested low.

I ended up with a B-Stock VSX-1122 that drives my Sennheisers and speakers beautifully. Cost me $200 - less than most dedicated headphone amps. Unless you need a small footprint or portability, I think a receiver is a great way to go.

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2,937 of 23,461
I just ordered a Lyr so amping won't be an issue.  I was surprised at that impedance specs of my Yamaha receivers.  One is 560 ohms and the other 390 ohms. Too be honest my main one doesn't sound bad, but why the crazy specs?

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2,938 of 23,461
Quote:
I just ordered a Lyr so amping won't be an issue.  I was surprised at that impedance specs of my Yamaha receivers.  One is 560 ohms and the other 390 ohms. Too be honest my main one doesn't sound bad, but why the crazy specs?

I'm just going off what I read somewhere so take this with a grain of salt, but don't integrated amps just dump a large resistor in line of the speaker outputs and route it to the headphone jack?  If so that would account for the obscenely high output impedance.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #2,939 of 23,461
Quote:
I just found out something about my main Yamaha receiver.  The headphone output impedance is 560 ohms.  What were they thinking?

no wonder my hd 518 and m-50s sounded bad out of the yamaha rx-v1 but sounded great out of the HD 600.

I got a little more information about my dad's receiver it has a PCM 1704 dac chip, (R2R and NOS) no wonder it sounded so good. It is the best DAC according to audiophiles that don't like delta sigma. And the amplifier has low distortion.

I ordered my bottlehead crack anyways. I can't always be plugging in my headphones into the main receiver.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #2,940 of 23,461
Awesome.  One piece of advice on your build from someone who recently completed a BH Crack.  Go slow.. besides the obvious reasons (safety, avoiding errors), assembly is such an enjoyable experience that you'll be disappointed if you race through it.

Sorry to steer the thread off-topic. 

Back to HD600 Appreciation: I think it's a testament to these headphones that people are willing to build a rig around them that costs several times their value to extract their full potential. 
smile.gif

Quote:
no wonder my hd 518 and m-50s sounded bad out of the yamaha rx-v1 but sounded great out of the HD 600.

I got a little more information about my dad's receiver it has a PCM 1704 dac chip, (R2R and NOS) no wonder it sounded so good. It is the best DAC according to audiophiles that don't like delta sigma. And the amplifier has low distortion.

I ordered my bottlehead crack anyways. I can't always be plugging in my headphones into the main receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back