Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #2,941 of 23,458
My friend just help me order HD600 from Radiowolf.de . Cost me 241 euro for a B-Stock item. Hope it worth the price. Now, time to start crossing date on my calendar until the package arrive. Oh, and saving for Aune T1, for I am very interested in this pretty DAC/AMP. Anyone had experience driving HD600 with Aune T1?

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,942 of 23,458
Quote:
My friend just help me order HD600 from Radiowolf.de . Cost me 241 euro for a B-Stock item. Hope it worth the price. Now, time to start crossing date on my calendar until the package arrive. Oh, and saving for Aune T1, for I am very interested in this pretty DAC/AMP. Anyone had experience driving HD600 with Aune T1?

Pardon my french but does B-stock means open box or with slight cosmetic imperfections?

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2,943 of 23,458
I've been trying to find a metaphor for my thoughts on the HD600 vs the HE-500. I think this is it:

The HE-500's sound stage (and overall sound) compared to the the HD600's can be described as such: 

Imagine two rooms of equal size/dimensions. One room is furnished as a family room, while the other is a bachelor's living room. The family room has a 40 inch television, along with a few couches, side tables, and plush chairs. The bachelor's living room has an 80 - inch television, but only a tiny leather sofa. On first glance the bachelor pad may seem more open and appealing, but over time you begin to notice its lack of charm and functionality. The family room now seems like a much more practical and useful space. Then, to compound the issue, you start to notice that the bachelor pad has somewhat short ceilings that you occasionally bump your head on.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the two.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #2,945 of 23,458
Quote:
Pardon my french but does B-stock means open box or with slight cosmetic imperfections?

I think it could mean either but the large majority of the time it means like-new, open box.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #2,946 of 23,458
First time posting here but have lurked a bit over the years. I am thinking of picking a pair of HD600 to go with my first AMP/DAC setup (Magni/Modi stack). Based on some of the posts I have read this combo seems to get some mixed reviews? These phones are replacing my HD555's that just crapped out on me after many years of abuse. I am pretty sure my mind is going to be blown no matter what considering I have never heard amp driven headphones before. Also does anyone know where or when you can typically find a great price on these? 400 is max of my budget and would much rather spend close to 300. The RazorDog deal seems dead for good as I get the "The discount does not meet the requirements set by the shop for this checkout".

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #2,947 of 23,458
Quote:
First time posting here but have lurked a bit over the years. I am thinking of picking a pair of HD600 to go with my first AMP/DAC setup (Magni/Modi stack). Based on some of the posts I have read this combo seems to get some mixed reviews? These phones are replacing my HD555's that just crapped out on me after many years of abuse. I am pretty sure my mind is going to be blown no matter what considering I have never heard amp driven headphones before. Also does anyone know where or when you can typically find a great price on these? 400 is max of my budget and would much rather spend close to 300. The RazorDog deal seems dead for good as I get the "The discount does not meet the requirements set by the shop for this checkout".

You may take my word with a grain of salt seeing as I'm new poster here too
biggrin.gif

I personally love my HD600 and I used to pair it with the Headroom Micro AMP/DAC (to give your Magni/Modi some point of comparison). IMO, it's not picky with what drives it but does sound just sublime with a nice amp. Of course the caveat to all this is that you simply won't like it. As for a good price, I've never known the HD6XX line to be change much in price, your best bet might be to get it used if you don't want to pay the full price.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #2,949 of 23,458
Sad to say I am going to try to sell my HD600s :frowning2: . I really liked them but then I got the HE-400 and now I never listen to the HD600. I'm actually trying to fund a possible LCD-2 upgrade.

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2,950 of 23,458
So its been a few weeks since having the HD600 and I'm loving them so much more now that I got an amp for higher impedance HP's.  It a S.M.S.L. sApIII which I'm sure no ones heard of but man its a fantastic amp and for only $65 one ebay makes it a seal imo. 

Before I got it I was using the C&C BH which is a great portable amp and had plenty of power to puch the HD600 but once I paired them with the sApIII it was like "wow so this is what these are supposed to sound like".  Much better detail and resolving along with a larger more cohesive sounding soundstage.

If anyone wants to check the amp out here's the ebay link, oh and there's only 1 left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290797739690?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #2,951 of 23,458
Quote:
Sad to say I am going to try to sell my HD600s :frowning2: . I really liked them but then I got the HE-400 and now I never listen to the HD600. I'm actually trying to fund a possible LCD-2 upgrade.

I have both also and while I do think over all the HE-400 is technically a better headphone I would say I still very much like the HD600 and they compliment each other very well and the HD600 is a good change of pace HP.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #2,952 of 23,458
when it comes to amps, I think they are excellent with the asguard.  If the M&M combination does not work, perhaps you can keep the dac and substitute the second amp.  I's call Schitt and ask.  They helped me a lot in choosing the amp

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #2,953 of 23,458
I didn't get this amp to be my end all be all, I'm going to get the Schiit Lyr for my nice amp, I just got the sApIII to hold me over tell I got enough cash.  For $65 the sApIII is better or as good as most under $200 amps I've heard.  The clarity is very good and it gives the soundstage a more open feel as well.  Its meant for high impedance HP's as it can handle up to 600 ohms.  Also its made with quality components and I think its worth people to checkout if your wanting a nice HP amp for under $100.

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #2,954 of 23,458
Quote:
So its been a few weeks since having the HD600 and I'm loving them so much more now that I got an amp for higher impedance HP's.  It a S.M.S.L. sApIII which I'm sure no ones heard of but man its a fantastic amp and for only $65 one ebay makes it a seal imo. 

Before I got it I was using the C&C BH which is a great portable amp and had plenty of power to puch the HD600 but once I paired them with the sApIII it was like "wow so this is what these are supposed to sound like".  Much better detail and resolving along with a larger more cohesive sounding soundstage.

If anyone wants to check the amp out here's the ebay link, oh and there's only 1 left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290797739690?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It sounds good is this a Amp/Dac or just a tube Amp. Their were a  lot of pictures. How do you know if it's reliable?

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2,955 of 23,458

Hello, if you do end up selling your HD600 please let me know. I've been considering getting one from razordogs but if the ones you have are in mint condition and the pricing is a good bit less, I may be interested.

Quote:

I have both also and while I do think over all the HE-400 is technically a better headphone I would say I still very much like the HD600 and they compliment each other very well and the HD600 is a good change of pace HP.

I am of the same opinion. One thing I have noticed though is that as my other equipment gets better,  the HE-400 hardly changes. I've found the HE-400 to pair nicely with some old vintage marantz receivers but recently I grabbed the Lyr and the senns surprised me so much. It is no joke when many people on the forums say the pairing is great. I tried the HE-400 and the Lyr as well but the improvement was just a decent step up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back