Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2,716 of 23,434
Quote:

For smaller works, sure it's great. However, with larger scale stuff it doesn't capture the essence like the DT880 did.

For instance, Bizet's Carmen is much better on the HD600. On the other hand, Carmina Burana is more engaging on the DT880.

I think that was the definition of an impulse. I moved so quickly to send a PM that it was almost like a reflex :)

Which recording of Carmina Burana do you have? Some are definitely better than others...

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #2,717 of 23,434
Quote:
Which would be a better pairing amp/DAC for HD 600's (across all genres of music)?

Audio-gd NFB 15.32
-or-
O2 & ODAC

(Also, I'm currently using a Fiio stack -> E10(DAC)/E9(Amp), and am wondering if either of the two above would provide an obvious enough upgrade over the Fiio's for the $250-$300 price tag.)

Not sure how many people you'll find have owned both to give you a comparison.  Because the O2/ODAC has been more popular - you're likely to find a lot more plugging that combo ...... but you may not be getting an actual comparison.

All I can do is suggest - based on my comparison of NFB-12 (same DAC set-up, different USB chip) to the E7/E9 combo - that I very much preferred the NFB-12.  The E7/E9 was just a little too thin for me.  The NFB-12 had more warmth, more fullness (body?) to the overall presentation.  I wish I could describe it in terms of frequency response - because my description sounds wishy-washy.  But for me the NFB-12 (for similar money to the Fiios) was a decent upgrade.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the O2/ODAC.  Hopefully someone else can.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #2,719 of 23,434
Quote:
Which would be a better pairing amp/DAC for HD 600's (across all genres of music)?

Audio-gd NFB 15.32
-or-
O2 & ODAC

(Also, I'm currently using a Fiio stack -> E10(DAC)/E9(Amp), and am wondering if either of the two above would provide an obvious enough upgrade over the Fiio's for the $250-$300 price tag.)

I also listen to almost all genres of music, the NFB  15.32 looks nice, too bad I just dropped $360 on a graphics card 
frown.gif
  I'll probably sell my E9 and keep the e7 for my mobile amp/dac. 

EDIT: dang E9s are only worth $50-$70 on ebay now... to think that I payed $180 for both of them around 2 years ago.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #2,720 of 23,434
Quote:

Jochum's 1968 version. It's the best ever made!

I agree it's a great performance (my favorite too), but sound-wise there are better recordings.

When I'm in an Orff mood, I usually reach for my Chially Berlin RSO recording. Great performance and fantastic recording.

I also have the Telarc (Shaw - Atlanta) recording. It sounds fantastic but it's not the best performance IMO.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #2,721 of 23,434
Quote:

Not sure how many people you'll find have owned both to give you a comparison.  Because the O2/ODAC has been more popular - you're likely to find a lot more plugging that combo ...... but you may not be getting an actual comparison.

All I can do is suggest - based on my comparison of NFB-12 (same DAC set-up, different USB chip) to the E7/E9 combo - that I very much preferred the NFB-12.  The E7/E9 was just a little too thin for me.  The NFB-12 had more warmth, more fullness (body?) to the overall presentation.  I wish I could describe it in terms of frequency response - because my description sounds wishy-washy.  But for me the NFB-12 (for similar money to the Fiios) was a decent upgrade.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the O2/ODAC.  Hopefully someone else can.

thanks for your thoughts.
is this a general impression of the NFB-12, or how it sounded with the HD 600? I'm wondering if it has enough juice to power those cans well.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #2,722 of 23,434
Quote:
thanks for your thoughts.
is this a general impression of the NFB-12, or how it sounded with the HD 600? I'm wondering if it has enough juice to power those cans well.

I honestly don't think the HD600 are overly hard to drive.  As far as having enough power - the NFB-12(& 15) will put 300 mW into 300ohms.  It's more than enough to power them properly.

With my current cans - I prefer the DT880 with the NFB-12/LD MKIV combo, the HD600 shines both straight out of the NFB-12 or with the NFB/LD combo, and the K701 I actually prefer just out of the NFB-12.

The 325i sounds great out of everything (including an iPod)  :)

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #2,723 of 23,434
Quote:

I honestly don't think the HD600 are overly hard to drive.  As far as having enough power - the NFB-12(& 15) will put 300 mW into 300ohms.  It's more than enough to power them properly.

With my current cans - I prefer the DT880 with the NFB-12/LD MKIV combo, the HD600 shines both straight out of the NFB-12 or with the NFB/LD combo, and the K701 I actually prefer just out of the NFB-12.

The 325i sounds great out of everything (including an iPod)  :)

I love your set up, but again our set up is so similar!

I love my set up!

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #2,724 of 23,434

One day I'll get to one of the Aussie meets - and hopefully get to meet you and hear some of your gear.   Would really like to hear an MS Pro/RS1 at some stage.

I'd also love to try something further up the Audi-gd scale ......... but then I remember .......... I'm loving my own set-up so much, why do I need to improve anything?  Haven't bought any other gear for almost a year now - and honestly don't really feel the need to (although at some stage I'd like to satisfy my curiousity and buy a planar - maybe a pair of Mad-dogs).

Now I just buy music instead.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #2,725 of 23,434
Quote:
Well, I've finally found a flaw with my HD600.

Classical music. 

My collection has grown over the last few months, and it was portrayed beautifully by my DT880. The HD600 seems so much less dynamic and open when I need it the most. The DT880's treble took the experience to another level.

Sigh.

Listen through the 650s for a few hours .... the 600s will then sound a lot more satisfying

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2,726 of 23,434
Quote:

One day I'll get to one of the Aussie meets - and hopefully get to meet you and hear some of your gear.   Would really like to hear an MS Pro/RS1 at some stage.

I'd also love to try something further up the Audi-gd scale ......... but then I remember .......... I'm loving my own set-up so much, why do I need to improve anything?  Haven't bought any other gear for almost a year now - and honestly don't really feel the need to (although at some stage I'd like to satisfy my curiousity and buy a planar - maybe a pair of Mad-dogs).

Now I just buy music instead.

I'm after a pair of W1000X to put a big pause on my 'expansion'... I am actually afraid of buying a planar because it would either
1. Not be worth it because it gets out-shined by my other headphones; or
2. Make me sell all these headphones which I am already emotionally attached to!

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #2,727 of 23,434
Quote:

Classical music. 

My collection has grown over the last few months, and it was portrayed beautifully by my DT880. The HD600 seems so much less dynamic and open when I need it the most. The DT880's treble took the experience to another level.

Sigh.

I happen to have them both, and love them both.

To me HD600's performance is so elegant and soothing but somewhat colored,
therefore is not so accurate as Dt880 in classical music.

However, after lstening for 2 or 3 hours, dt880 tend to be more fatiguing.
Not a good choice for relaxation.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #2,729 of 23,434
Quote:

Classical music. 

Sigh.

Scratch that. I just listened to Carmina Burana again in its entirety.

It seems the DT880 only wins in larger orchestral works.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,730 of 23,434
Quote:
how does the weight of the hd600 compare to the hifiman he-400?  is the difference significant?

the difference is quite significant.

the HD 600 is mostly lightweight plastic; I often forget I'm wearing them during a long listening session.
the HE-400 has weight to them - you feel them on your head, pulling down slightly.

i'll stop-short saying that the 400's are uncomfortable, because that's personal. but for me, I wouldn't want them on my head for longer than 30 min to an hour at a time (for what it's worth, I'm pretty sensitive to clamping pressure, so maybe I just like cans looser and lighter than most). to others, as i've read, the weight isn't a problem - so maybe they can chime in. regardless of comfort, there is definitely a significant difference in weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back