Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #2,701 of 23,456
I'm new to headphone amps and DAC's. Bought a Senn HD600 new from Amazon last year at a great price and am now going to purchase an amp (with pre-outs) and DAC.  Pretty much decided on the Woo WA2, which is the limit of my budget. Temporarily had purchased a FIIO E10 USB DAC/Amp for $75 last year until I was ready to spend the $ on a good amp. (No enjoyment there, but I was not expecting much.)  I'm hoping the headphone and new amp will keep me happy for a long time, as I'm not one to keep upgrading. (Recently sold my stereo Conrad Johnson PV6 preamp which I had for ~25 years!).  I have a few questions:

-Am considering the Bifrost DAC, would that be too polite of a DAC for the HD600/WA2?
- Any other DAC suggestions in the <$500 price range?

I'm will be feeding it ripped Flac files and Hirez downloads from USB out.
(I'll cross post this in the Woo WA2 forum also.)

Thanks,
Glenn

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #2,702 of 23,456
Quote:
I'm new to headphone amps and DAC's. Bought a Senn HD600 new from Amazon last year at a great price and am now going to purchase an amp (with pre-outs) and DAC.  Pretty much decided on the Woo WA2, which is the limit of my budget. Temporarily had purchased a FIIO E10 USB DAC/Amp for $75 last year until I was ready to spend the $ on a good amp. (No enjoyment there, but I was not expecting much.)  I'm hoping the headphone and new amp will keep me happy for a long time, as I'm not one to keep upgrading. (Recently sold my stereo Conrad Johnson PV6 preamp which I had for ~25 years!).  I have a few questions:

-Am considering the Bifrost DAC, would that be too polite of a DAC for the HD600/WA2?
- Any other DAC suggestions in the <$500 price range?

I'm will be feeding it ripped Flac files and Hirez downloads from USB out.
(I'll cross post this in the Woo WA2 forum also.)

Thanks,
Glenn

The ConJohn had a great phono stage and as a preamp was quite good also. I recently got a Beresford Bushmaster and it sounds amazing with the HD600. The Bushmaster will bring out the HD600 bas very well and precisely controlled. If you're also into detail, detail, detail, the Bushmaster will most probably please you. A bit easy on the highs that could veil the last atmospheric shimmer and decay the HD600 does so well. In contrast it's also very holographic on the top end, so here's a tradeoff that could work out for you.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,703 of 23,456
Xaval, Yes the C-J was nice.  I was sad to see it go; it was my first high-end purchase.
Am not familiar with Beresford.  That DAC also has a HA, so I feel I would be paying for a feature that I do not need.  But, thanks for the info.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2,704 of 23,456
Well, I've finally found a flaw with my HD600.

Classical music. 

My collection has grown over the last few months, and it was portrayed beautifully by my DT880. The HD600 seems so much less dynamic and open when I need it the most. The DT880's treble took the experience to another level.

Sigh.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,705 of 23,456
I often listen to classical music with the HD600, and personally I think it's one of the best headphones for chamber music and solo instruments. For very large orchestral works it's not the most ideal pair of headphones, that's true - however, in the end I didn't enjoy the HD800 or T1 (which both are generally perceived to be outstanding performers when it comes to orchestral music) more either as I'm sensitive to treble peaks (which can make headphones sound wonderfully clear and open, but at a price).

Anyway, I'm constantly amazed at the HD600's qualities. Or perhaps amazed isn't the right word, satisfied is more like it. Sure, there are other headphones I've enjoyed more for a while - or made me think I enjoyed them more - but I always end up reaching for the HD600 after a while. I've not heard a pair of headphones that delivers a similar continuity in its musical presentation. I'd possibly go as far as to say that I like the LA7000 and the Koss ESP-950 a little more than the HD600, but If I had to pick one of those three it would be the most humble one, every time.
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #2,707 of 23,456
Quote:
I often listen to classical music with the HD600, and personally I think it's one of the best headphones for chamber music and solo instruments. For very large orchestral works it's not the most ideal pair of headphones, that's true - however, in the end I didn't enjoy the HD800 or T1 (which both are generally perceived to be outstanding performers when it comes to orchestral music) more either as I'm sensitive to treble peaks (which can make headphones sound wonderfully clear and open, but at a price).

Anyway, I'm constantly amazed at the HD600's qualities. Or perhaps amazed isn't the right word, satisfied is more like it. Sure, there are other headphones I've enjoyed more for a while - or made me think I enjoyed them more - but I always end up reaching for the HD600 after a while. I've not heard a pair of headphones that delivers a similar continuity in its musical presentation. I'd possibly go as far as to say that I like the LA7000 and the Koss ESP-950 a little more than the HD600, but If I had to pick one of those three it would be the most humble one, every time.
wink.gif

It's definitely a great for that, but I fired up one of my favorite operas of all time (Carmina Burana), and the HD600 simply wasn't as involving.

Still, I bought it to be a more laid-back replacement for the DT880, so I guess it's serving its purpose beautifully.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2,708 of 23,456
Quote:

Classical music. 

My collection has grown over the last few months, and it was portrayed beautifully by my DT880. The HD600 seems so much less dynamic and open when I need it the most. The DT880's treble took the experience to another level.

Sigh.

I have some bad news for you. As long as you are only using a Fiio E10 (as your profile states), you're not getting the most out of your HD600, not even close. I started with the E10 (for a few days) and it doesn't do the HD600s justice at all. Until you get a better amp and DAC the E10 will always be the weak link.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,709 of 23,456
Quote:

Classical music. 

Sigh.

I love the HD600 for string quartets. In fact, I just brought my HD600 from home to the office, where I listen to lots of strings; i think the HD650 is a little too weighty for some recordings. For symphonies, I prefer the HD650... You make me want to get a DT880 though. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #2,710 of 23,456
I have some bad news for you. As long as you are only using a Fiio E10 (as your profile states), you're not getting the most out of your HD600, not even close. I started with the E10 (for a few days) and it doesn't do the HD600s justice at all. Until you get a better amp and DAC the E10 will always be the weak link.

I also read on the last page about the e7/e9 with the hd600 should my next step be upgrading my amp and dac? I know the hd600 scales well but would there be that big of a difference going from e9/e7 to a combo that could be had for less than $400?

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #2,711 of 23,456
Quote:
I also read on the last page about the e7/e9 with the hd600 should my next step be upgrading my amp and dac? I know the hd600 scales well but would there be that big of a difference going from e9/e7 to a combo that could be had for less than $400?

The E7 DAC is going to be the weakest link here. I would think something like the Schiit Modi/Magni or O2/ODAC would be a considerable upgrade despite the prices being almost the same.  The world of low cost audio has progressed quite a bit since those were introduced.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #2,712 of 23,456
Quote:

Classical music. 

Sigh.

Ah, so it was you who ended up being the lucky purchaser on the best price for the HD-600s in the F/S forum for 2013.  
size]

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #2,713 of 23,456
Just my 2c

@ eke2k6 - I use my HD600 for classical (mainly Tchaikovsky violin concertos & Mozart 'anything') as well as opera (especially soprano/mezzo soprano) - and I actually prefer the HD600 to the DT880 (most of the time I usually use either HD600 or K701) .  I know it could be purely preference - but I also wonder if it might be the E10?  The HD600 definitely aren't difficult to drive IMO - but I did notice quite a difference going from an E7/E9 combo to my current NFB-12 (with or without the LD MKIV).  Can you get to a meet sometime and try your Senn with some other source+amps?

@ linglingjr - although it's under $300 - if you just want a desktop dac/amp, also consider the Audio-gd NFB 15.32 (replacement for the NFB-12).  I stopped worrying about source/amp when I got the NFB-12.  It does everything I need and can drive even the DT880 600s with ease.  I see it's out of stock at the moment - but a simple email should get a reply regarding status (http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15.32/NFB15.32EN.htm)

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #2,714 of 23,456

I need to take that out of my sig. I haven't owned the E10 in almost a year. I'm running them through a Sabre 9023 dac, out to a very nice one of a kind amp.

Quote:
Just my 2c

@ eke2k6 - I use my HD600 for classical (mainly Tchaikovsky violin concertos & Mozart 'anything') as well as opera (especially soprano/mezzo soprano) - and I actually prefer the HD600 to the DT880 (most of the time I usually use either HD600 or K701) .  I know it could be purely preference - but I also wonder if it might be the E10?  The HD600 definitely aren't difficult to drive IMO - but I did notice quite a difference going from an E7/E9 combo to my current NFB-12 (with or without the LD MKIV).  Can you get to a meet sometime and try your Senn with some other source+amps?

For smaller works, sure it's great. However, with larger scale stuff it doesn't capture the essence like the DT880 did.

For instance, Bizet's Carmen is much better on the HD600. On the other hand, Carmina Burana is more engaging on the DT880.

Quote:

Ah, so it was you who ended up being the lucky purchaser on the best price for the HD-600s in the F/S forum for 2013.  
size]

I think that was the definition of an impulse. I moved so quickly to send a PM that it was almost like a reflex :)

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,715 of 23,456
Which would be a better pairing amp/DAC for HD 600's (across all genres of music)?

Audio-gd NFB 15.32
-or-
O2 & ODAC

(Also, I'm currently using a Fiio stack -> E10(DAC)/E9(Amp), and am wondering if either of the two above would provide an obvious enough upgrade over the Fiio's for the $250-$300 price tag.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back