Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2,686 of 23,482
Have been listening to my 600's purchased from wje for about two weeks and I absolutely love them!  
darthsmile.gif
  Running them with the Magni/Modi stack and also a custom built "starving student" tube hybrid amp. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2,688 of 23,482
I bought a set of the HD600 earlier in the week, and it arrived yesterday. I sent this in a PM to a friend.

I think I'm done buying headphones and iems.

As good as my DT880 is, I'm floored by the mid range of the HD600. I barely have words to describe what I'm hearing. I first fired up Firewood by Regina Spektor, and it instantly reaffirmed the fact that these headphones are only tools to help the music shine through. It also reminded me that the soul of a song is in the mids. 

So, between my GR07, MH1C, HD600, and my incoming ASG-2/ASG-1.3, I'm just...good. I'm almost not even concerned with the upcoming Vsonic stuff.

Seriously, these are awesome in the true sense of the word. I'm thinking of getting a Bottlehead Crack in the future, since everyone say they're the bee's knees with the Sennheisers.

You can look at my profile to see the list of headphones/iems I've owned or auditioned, and these have to be the most sonically complete headphone I've ever heard.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #2,690 of 23,482
Yes, I guess the keyword is timbre, sounds and voices have the same timbre as live voices transformed through the air. Not like some diaphragm pushing against ones ears. How good the HD650 may be I immediately rejected it as it sounds colored, ie the sound has passed through some filter to sound more impressive and bold which it is but it is not natural. The HD600 sounds extremely natural and fluid, I have even been scared several times because I thought something/someone was moving around in the room 
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #2,691 of 23,482
Got the HD600 a few days ago.
From the very first listen I knew that this is definitelly a reference performer, no non-sense stuff here.
They sounded very much like I would expect them to sound. all the frequencies are displayed equally clear and detailed, great tunning here, Sennheiser definitelly knows how to do it's stuff. I used to own and loved their PX100 and I think the HD600 are a great upgrade from those.
They still show some slow decay, specially around 2 to 4 KHz and some slight! artificiality in the way how they achieve their (very coherent!) presentation but there's great control all over the spectrum and they manage to sound natural, reasonably transparent and enjoyable with good timbre.
I guess one can't ask more from a 300$ headphone.
I like these, very good headphones.
I think they're technically very good, just short of brilliant.

Compared to the HD600 my modified GMP, with the stock earpads, sounds somewhat V-shaped and, ocasionally, uncoherent, haha, so I still have a lot of work to do with the Maestros.
This doesn't mean that my GMP have less overall mid presence than the Sennies, to my ears the difference is more around the 2 to 5 KHz area where the GMPs suddenly dip some dbs at 2KHz and then rise until a 5KHz peak (or so it seems), while the HD600 maintains a linear response throughout all the midrange but with a somewhat emphasized 2 to 4KHz area where I think the decay is slower than the rest of the spectrum... which I suspect, in conjunction with the absence of 10KHz peak, forms the source of the "veiled character" attibuted to this headphone...
On the contrary the GMP has more bass and lower mid presence relative to the uppermids and a treble peak and depending on the song either headphone will sound thinner or fuller or more natural (subjective, not neutral) than the other, it's a bit weird, but I think the HD600 is, generaly, the more technically correct, because of the bloomier, less articulate character of the GMPs lower frequencies and recessed upper mids.

The veil I've seen atributed to the Sennies... I think it's unfair... it sounds no more veiled to me than the DT880 (which has peaked treble), but I can see how both would sound kind of washed out/unclear when compared to superior stuff. My GMP manages to do so on some tracks but it's not as consistent performer as the Sennheiser and the Beyer, partly due to it's higher transparency and partly due to not as good tuning.
I don't think my GMP is superior to the HD600 though, they're different and the Sennheiser is, generally, easier to understand...

I also have the Beyer here with me but I still haven't compared them head to head with the HD600 because I detest them so much.
But I think it's safe to say that the Sennies are definitelly the better headphones among both.

Good stuff from Sennheiser here,
Good stuff!

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #2,692 of 23,482
Quote:
Yes, I guess the keyword is timbre, sounds and voices have the same timbre as live voices transformed through the air. Not like some diaphragm pushing against ones ears. How good the HD650 may be I immediately rejected it as it sounds colored, ie the sound has passed through some filter to sound more impressive and bold which it is but it is not natural. The HD600 sounds extremely natural and fluid, I have even been scared several times because I thought something/someone was moving around in the room 
biggrin.gif

+1. I've heard this said before about the HD600 and its true... of all my headphones only with the HD600 do I occasionally get spooked by a sound that I perceive as actually coming from behind me in my room. Other headphones that have good sounstages can be similarly impressive but only with the HD600 is it a case of my brain actually being 100% convinced that the sound is real. Its pretty spooky at first, when it happens, and really impressive once you realize its just the headphones.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,693 of 23,482
Quote:
I just got my hd600 2 days ago. the pads are completely worn out so i replaced them with the pads from my fa002w headphones. :)

you bought them used? on amazn market place? what price if u mind me asking

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2,694 of 23,482
+2 I've found that the reproduction of the following instruments has a wonderful life-like timbre:

Cello,
Acoustic Guitar,
Saxophone,
Snare-drums

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #2,695 of 23,482
I just got mine on Friday and at first they sounded pretty bad, but after an over night burn-in they opened up amazingly. I let my father listen to Pink Floyd's album "the wall" that night and he stayed at my place for hours listening to music.
The sound is incredible, but I wish it had a tad bit more bass. Ah well, I have my M100s for that bass kick. I'm happy with these!

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2,696 of 23,482
Quote:
I just got mine on Friday and at first they sounded pretty bad, but after an over night burn-in they opened up amazingly. I let my father listen to Pink Floyd's album "the wall" that night and he stayed at my place for hours listening to music.
The sound is incredible, but I wish it had a tad bit more bass. Ah well, I have my M100s for that bass kick. I'm happy with these!

How are you amping them?  Mine really shine when driven by my Yamaha receivers.  

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #2,697 of 23,482
Vintage receivers tend to work very well with these cans. These headphones scale very well with amps far more "expensive" also. Anyhow, feed them voltage and they will be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back