Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #2,656 of 23,450
Quote:
Nothing at the moment, headphones plugged straight into laptop... I should receive an Audio GD Fun this week. I feel like a reply is coming my way: "put the headphones away until you get the amp"

No, the HD600 is really not that bad poorly amped, but please wait to make any decisions until you get some juice behind them! hey are not a super demanding headphone but their dynamic range will really suffer without enough current. They will sound ok... but they will also definitely sound flat! 

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #2,658 of 23,450
Originally Posted by imackler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, the HD600 is really not that bad poorly amped, but please wait to make any decisions until you get some juice behind them! hey are not a super demanding headphone but their dynamic range will really suffer without enough current. They will sound ok... but they will also definitely sound flat! 

Correct.. the HD600 is fairly easy to drive.. but it greatly benefits from HQ, dedicated amplification.  I found it to sound terrific with the 'modest' Objective2 amp... but I prefer to drive it through a nice tube amp (look into something like the Aune T1 if you want to get a taste of that at a very affordable price).

Also, just for some clarification.. the (relatively) high sensitivity, high impedance HD600 (97 dB/mW, 300 ohms) likes lots of voltage, not current.  Orthos (like the HE-400, HE-500, LCD-2, etc.) are the phones that like oodles of current (watts) due to low sensitivity and low impedance.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2,659 of 23,450
Quote:

Also, just for some clarification.. the (relatively) high sensitivity, high impedance HD600 (97 dB/mW, 300 ohms) likes lots of voltage, not current.  Orthos (like the HE-400, HE-500, LCD-2, etc.) are the phones that like oodles of current (watts) due to low sensitivity and low impedance.

Thanks for the correction. Yes, voltage swing seems to make the HD6xx shine. I think that is why you portable amps like the Neco Soundlab and SR71A do so well with them. I'm not an engineer but the 2 9 volt battery model does good things w/ voltage swing. Its probably why Justin w/ his Pico Power has chosen that design for a new amp... 9 Volt batteries seem a little archaic, but they are also a little magical w/ the HD6s. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #2,660 of 23,450
Quote:

Thanks for the correction. Yes, voltage swing seems to make the HD6xx shine. I think that is why you portable amps like the Neco Soundlab and SR71A do so well with them. I'm not an engineer but the 2 9 volt battery model does good things w/ voltage swing. Its probably why Justin w/ his Pico Power has chosen that design for a new amp... 9 Volt batteries seem a little archaic, but they are also a little magical w/ the HD6s. 

Even so, there's no comparison with a desktop that can swing + or - 12V (24V p-p), 15V (30V p-p) or more.
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #2,662 of 23,450
Quote:

There is no magic there. Either there is enough power or there isn't.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2,664 of 23,450
If you are the kind of guy who enjoys DIY the Bottlehead Crack is highly recommended with the 600s.  I recently built one and It is much better than my Nuforce HDP for driving the 600s.  It's a little more expensive than your entry level desktop amp at $280 but I'm pretty sure It's the last amp I'm buying unless I get orthos in the future.

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #2,665 of 23,450
I've had my 600s a couple of months now and I'm very happy with them.  While I can power them with my cmoy, there is a big difference when I plug them into one of my Yamaha receivers.  They really come alive then.  I can listen for hours with no fatigue.  When my budget allows, I'd like to add a desktop amp and dac to my system.

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #2,666 of 23,450
I've had my 600s a couple of months now and I'm very happy with them.  While I can power them with my cmoy, there is a big difference when I plug them into one of my Yamaha receivers.  They really come alive then.  I can listen for hours with no fatigue.  When my budget allows, I'd like to add a desktop amp and dac to my system.

You've hit the nail in the head: one album straight from laptop and my ears scream "no more!!". Can't wait for the audio gd to get here...

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #2,667 of 23,450
Quote:
You've hit the nail in the head: one album straight from laptop and my ears scream "no more!!". Can't wait for the audio gd to get here...

If these fit the sound signature you are looking for, then I think you'll love them.  I know I do.  They are much more enjoyable than my 240 Sextetts to my ears.  I like the 240s but the 600s are more me.  
dt880smile.png

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,668 of 23,450
Quote:
There is no magic there. Either there is enough power or there isn't.

Yes, well ... the magic is in determining whether there is or isn't ... and/or designing one that has it.  It becomes much less clear when considering transient peaks that may far exceed normal listening dB's, but those are the detail peaks that one strives to reproduce for a quality listening experience.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #2,669 of 23,450
listening to the 600's through the GF TubeDAC-11 tonight.  havent listened to them in a while.  I forgot how great they are.  seriously considering that bottlehead amp though.  read such great things about it.  I could sell something off I'm sure.

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #2,670 of 23,450
The Crack is great with the 600s.  I haven't been able to compare it to TOTL amps yet but in it's stock form it outperforms my Nuforce HDP easily.  Hopefully I'll install the Speedball this summer, I'm expecting a significant jump in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back