Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #2,641 of 23,423
Quote:

Yes - but I would only use an adaptor cable.

The integrated barrel adaptors put a hell of a lot of strain on the 3.5mm socket and I would not touch them with a bargepole.

Very true.  I've found that Hosa makes a great product - it has about 4" of cable between the plugs on the adapter. It can be purchased from Best Buy - on their Web site, or at their stores where they have an instruments and live audio section for $3.99.  It works as well as the $14.00 variant from Grado.  It just doesn't have the gold-tone connectors.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #2,642 of 23,423
I started another thread asking about the cardas cables for the 600, but no answers yet so I'm reposting it here:

Cables, if ever would be the last one I'll upgrade. Get used to and enjoy your HD600 and after a reasonable amount and you wish to upgrade your cable, you'll be able to appreciate the difference. There is a difference but not much to quantify spending that much dough.

Enjoy the headphone. I listen to alot of lues and it makes it sing.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2,643 of 23,423
Quote:
Cables, if ever would be the last one I'll upgrade. Get used to and enjoy your HD600 and after a reasonable amount and you wish to upgrade your cable, you'll be able to appreciate the difference. There is a difference but not much to quantify spending that much dough.

Enjoy the headphone. I listen to alot of lues and it makes it sing.

You have a Mood Audio Silver Dragon listed in you profile?  You don't hear a big difference between that and the stock cable on the HD600?  The HD600 really likes a tube amp to sound best!

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #2,644 of 23,423
You have a Mood Audio Silver Dragon listed in you profile?  You don't hear a big difference between that and the stock cable on the HD600?  The HD600 really likes a tube amp to sound best!

I do enjoy the difference. Awhile back, put back the HD600 cable just to see if it's all placebo. After two days, I put back the silver dragon. I just didn't want him to think that a cable change would be a top priority. $155 is a big chunk. Again, we sometimes forget to enjoy the music.
If upgrading cables become possible, then by all means, go for it.

In the case of the silver dragon, it made a positive change. Some cables may be inferior than the stock cable.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #2,645 of 23,423
Got my 650 cable in the mail today.  Much thicker and better built.  And I am definitely noticing a slight difference in the sound...seems fuller and more detailed with a bit more oomph in the bass.  I also did a mod by removing the soft pads on the insides of the ears, and they sound less veiled now....my 600s continue to wow me, so I am a happy man right now :)

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #2,646 of 23,423
Quote:
Got my 650 cable in the mail today.  Much thicker and better built.  And I am definitely noticing a slight difference in the sound...seems fuller and more detailed with a bit more oomph in the bass.  I also did a mod by removing the soft pads on the insides of the ears, and they sound less veiled now....my 600s continue to wow me, so I am a happy man right now :)

Glad to see another user other than me and tdockweiler modding them on this thread.  I've had the grills on mine off for the past several months as well.  Seems to improve the soundstage a little (still not amazing) and make the treble sound a bit more clear. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #2,647 of 23,423
Quote:
Glad to see another user other than me and tdockweiler modding them on this thread.  I've had the grills on mine off for the past several months as well.  Seems to improve the soundstage a little (still not amazing) and make the treble sound a bit more clear. 

A really awesome mod to try is to replace the HD-600 drivers with HD-650 drivers!!

Sorry, bad joke!

Best mod I ever did was to put Creatology foam on the back of the driver "vent" (tiny square), but it does change it a bit too much. No point really if you love the stock sound. Makes the HD-600 sound more neutral and a lot more clear. Reduces warmth slightly and I know that will make most people sad. People can say it will blow up the driver but it still gets air from the sides. It sounds very close to using the HD-600 with no grills.

I still can't understand how anyone can like the sound when removing the foam off the BACK of the driver (not behind the pads!).
normal_smile .gif
. On mine it bloated the bass and sucked out my mids.

HD-650 cable has a much higher capacitance than stock cable so it will naturally sound warmer/fuller. Not a huge difference, but audible by some with $300,000 amps like mine. I like the 650 cable on my 650 a lot..

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #2,652 of 23,423
Quote:
In case other people want to get new HD600 for 300 from an authorized dealer, you can go to Razordog and use coupon code RAZORDOG100 at check out.

I tried to buy one last night because I missed the HD600 I returned so much (I originally overpaid and decided to buy it again when there was a good discount).  The $100 discount coupon did not work so I emailed them. I was informed this morning that they fixed the code and it should work with the HD600 now. 

If anyone tried to get the $100 discount off when purchasing the HD600 and it failed to go through, try again now. :) 

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2,653 of 23,423
It's my second night with my new HD600s and I would like to drop my humble opinion in a few lines. First thing I should say: I'm coming from RS 170 (sennheiser, wireless), so this is or at least should be a major step forward. Second thing: I listen directly from my laptop, FLACs, mostly indie and electro (although the latter part may not be relevant).

First few tracks I was impressed, loved the sound. Then I started to be tempted by the equalizer. And now I know for sure that I'm not hearing what I should be hearing for the 300EUR HD600s.

I'm currently waiting for an Audio GD FUN purchased from a fellow head-fier. I really hope it will blow away my urge to use the EQ. Will it be night and day?!

Let me explain the urge of using the EQ: I feel that the sound isn't deep enough, it's "flat", not profound, like coming from my car's stereo. It's not the case with all the tracks, but I feel like that about too many tracks. Again, all FLACs. Take for instance Lights Out, Words Gone by Bombay Bicycle Club: I'm tempted to listen to it loud, or have some extra mids and lows from the eq.

On a distinct topic, considering the dac/amp mentioned above, does anyone have solid arguments for going the extra mile to HD650s? Or would the difference in sound be worth less than the 50 EUROs price difference?

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #2,654 of 23,423
Quote:
Let me explain the urge of using the EQ: I feel that the sound isn't deep enough, it's "flat", not profound, like coming from my car's stereo. It's not the case with all the tracks, but I feel like that about too many tracks. Again, all FLACs. Take for instance Lights Out, Words Gone by Bombay Bicycle Club: I'm tempted to listen to it loud, or have some extra mids and lows from the eq.

On a distinct topic, considering the dac/amp mentioned above, does anyone have solid arguments for going the extra mile to HD650s? Or would the difference in sound be worth less than the 50 EUROs price difference?

From what you're describing, I think you may like the HD650 more. 

What are you currently amping with? 

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #2,655 of 23,423
Nothing at the moment, headphones plugged straight into laptop... I should receive an Audio GD Fun this week. I feel like a reply is coming my way: "put the headphones away until you get the amp"

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back