Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #2,434 of 23,456
Quote:
...if you ask nicely, they'll ship the combo for $200 :wink:

Opps..

My bad..  I meant $200
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #2,435 of 23,456
It's been a while since I've been around the whole headphone scene due to lack of funds, and I've been running a "good enough" setup for a few years now. I just recently jumped on a pair of HD600s and I'm lost for an amp. My knowledge on these head phones were that they craved tubes, like something from little dot or darkvoice, but it seems like they aren't brought up much anymore. The schitt amps seem good, but are they just the flavour of the month? What would be a good amp to pair with this around $300? I'm definitely open to buying used as well.

PS: I listen to a little of everything, lots of alt rock, jazz, and acoustic stuff.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #2,436 of 23,456
Quote:
It's been a while since I've been around the whole headphone scene due to lack of funds, and I've been running a "good enough" setup for a few years now. I just recently jumped on a pair of HD600s and I'm lost for an amp. My knowledge on these head phones were that they craved tubes, like something from little dot or darkvoice, but it seems like they aren't brought up much anymore. The schitt amps seem good, but are they just the flavour of the month? What would be a good amp to pair with this around $300? I'm definitely open to buying used as well.

PS: I listen to a little of everything, lots of alt rock, jazz, and acoustic stuff.

I'd bet on the Corda Rock, but I say you wait for feedback on the Magni and Modi on the HD600. There might be one up on their discussion thread now :)

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #2,437 of 23,456
Quote:

The darkvoice is still very nice, I liked it over both my Corda Arietta (and sold it) and the Audio-gd NFB5.2

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #2,438 of 23,456
Quote:
What's a good amp/dac combo for the HD600 for ~$400?
I'm thinking the Nuforce HDP might synergize well with the HD600? Any better options out there?

I use the 600 with the HDP and feel it works really well.  Hooked up to my mac via USB it sounds quite accurate and musical.  I was quite happy with this set up until I added the hiface 2 this served to extend the treble and increase the perceived depth and width of the soundstage.  I recently built a bottlehead crack as well and feel that the HDP has a much larger soundstage if a little less extension at the extreme frequency ranges.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #2,439 of 23,456
littledot mk4se opens up the hd600 better than the Lyr. 
popcorn.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #2,441 of 23,456
Quote:

Perhaps try the Asgard

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2,444 of 23,456
Quote:
Is the SE really worth the extra $100? 

They do come with upgraded RCA and H/O jacks - but more importantly, the SE has the 6H30PI Gold power tubes (instead of standard Sov 6H30EH) and Mullard M8100 (instead of the JAN 5654s).

Depends on your preferences - but I am using the 6H30PI now on my MKIV, and an upgraded JAN 5654W (although I do own the M8100s as well).

The SE offers a much better base combo of driver/power tubes IMO. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2,445 of 23,456
Greetings, my fellow head-cases.

I just got my HD600s last week and I am absolutely loving them.  I'm not an experienced hifi listener, so I can only compare them to the HD598s I was using before.  But the difference between the 598s and the 600s is stark.  The first thing I noticed was the bass extension (I think that's the right term).  In dubstep and other EDM, I can now hear the reverberations of the lowest notes, which, with the 598s were basically inaudible.  Also, they just seem generally clearer and more detailed.

I have some questions for experienced head-fi-ers:

I'm using an ASUS Xonar STX computer sound card as my combined DAC and amp.  It can do 24-bit, 192 kHz upsampling and output with a 124 dB SNR (claimed) and can drive 600 ohm headphones.  It certainly seems to have no issues driving the HD600.  Would I hear an appreciable improvement in sound by using an external desktop amp?

Maybe I'm just thinking too digitally, but does changing the headphone cable have any effect on sound quality?  It seems like snake oil to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back