Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #2,446 of 23,454

I'm sure you would hear an improvement with a dedicated amp (hd600 scales great) I feel the same way listening to trap and dubstep music through my hd600 sounds much better than it does going through the two 12 inch rockford fosgates. So many people argue about cables making a difference you can spend years reading about it on here.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #2,447 of 23,454
Hi, I just took the pads off my HD600's and I saw the black material around the driver is quite beaten up. Does this change the sound somehow? I read from another thread it doesn't change the sound but would like a confirmation before I sell these.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #2,448 of 23,454
I found that taking off that material and replacing it with much thinner panty hoes (oil from ears can damage the drivers) recessed the bass and exposed the tremble a little bit more. Removing the grills opens up the sound stage as well IMO

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #2,450 of 23,454
Quote:
I found that taking off that material and replacing it with much thinner panty hoes (oil from ears can damage the drivers) recessed the bass and exposed the tremble a little bit more. Removing the grills opens up the sound stage as well IMO

Just a small correction - because I see this term used a bit around this site.

To tremble is to shake.

The word you want is treble.

(Sorry - pet-hate, and I'm showing a hint of OCD 
wink.gif
)

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #2,456 of 23,454
Hi!

Yesterday I decided to return to the stock configuration, after spending several days listening to the modded HD600.

I used denser foam on the back side of the driver. It reduced bass quantity slightly, balancing sound a bit, and it seemed to me the bass was a bit better defined.
That was using my DELL notebook, Sony receiver, Sony Minidisc deck and MD walkman as sources, without ANY amplification.
But, on 0 Ohm output impedance headphone amplifier, the bass was not as clean as before, and the change , or scaling for better sound, was not as pronounced, IMO.
The soundstage was little smaller and bass around 100 Hz developed additional small measurable - for me inaudible - harmonic distortions.

Now I returned foam mimicking the original one in shape, density, thickness and size back in place.

What a relief - my old HD600 are back, like meeting with an old friend again. :)

So this is my story trying to be smarter than the Sennheiser engineers, and deciding I'm not :)

Now I know, that acoustical damping is compromise, allowing better sound on lesser amps, or no amps, but limiting the level of SQ these headphones can achieve on good system with superior electrical damping.
The sad truth is, I spend almost no time using the big headphone amp, listening every evening from my MD walkman almost exclusively :frowning2:

Moonwalker

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #2,457 of 23,454
Is it ok to hand wash the pads and put them back on that way?  Had my HD600s for one year and I can kinda smell the oil and feel it too or would I need new ones?  If I need new ones should I get the original ones or something else and where should I buy it? 

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #2,458 of 23,454
Hi!

I hand washed them, using Woolite, but they are softer and softer after each washing, even when I did not sqeezed them, just let it spontanneously dry.
Also, they became a bit discolored, turning to brownish tan.

They have nice odour now :)

Moonwalker

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #2,459 of 23,454
Well my 600s finally arrived last night.  I currently have them burning in with some music while at work.  Definitely sound much different than my AKG 240 sextetts.   Looking forward to having more burn in time on them, but will use them while doing so.  I'm going to have to dig out some of my more interesting cds this weekend. 
beyersmile.png

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #2,460 of 23,454
Quote:
Well my 600s finally arrived last night.  I currently have them burning in with some music while at work.  Definitely sound much different than my AKG 240 sextetts.   Looking forward to having more burn in time on them, but will use them while doing so.  I'm going to have to dig out some of my more interesting cds this weekend. 
beyersmile.png

Glad to hear you like them, I'm a huge fan of the 600's. I got mine about a week ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back