Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #1,261 of 23,482
Here's a very interesting graph. Based on my experiments it makes perfect sense and I know some will disagree:

Looks like the less air the driver gets, the more forward it's upper mids and treble are.

I'm going to experiment more and try to make a closed HD-600 with some old HD-580 grills. Yes, i'm weird.
The soundstage of the HD-600 actually won't get that small.

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #1,262 of 23,482

Quote:
 Yes, i'm weird.

Won't argue with ya.  
tongue_smile.gif

Have you tried taking the ear cup foam out yet?

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,263 of 23,482

Quote:
Won't argue with ya.  
tongue_smile.gif

Have you tried taking the ear cup foam out yet?

I did that on my old pair, but with this pair I haven't felt the need to do this.
Previously I had used some Parts Express Speaker fabric to cover the driver.
I haven't yet removed the foam from the BACK of the driver.

So far i've not heard of any reports of sound differences. This HD-600 has more than enough treble for me.

I guess one reason I like doing these crazy tests is that I want to color the sound of the HD-600 slightly
normal_smile%20.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #1,264 of 23,482

Quote:
I haven't yet removed the foam from the BACK of the driver.

So far i've not heard of any reports of sound differences. This HD-600 has more than enough treble for me.

I did that, too.  Then I tried to put it back in, then took it back out, and I'm either not that good, or can't hear a difference.  Seems to me that it might not be anything more than a dust cover for the back of the driver.  Though with how much of a difference I hear from the front foam in the ear cup removed, I would think I'd be able to hear a difference.

I removed foams in the 600s, and added foam (Anax mod) to the 800s.  That's kinda weird, eh?  So, I'm with ya.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #1,265 of 23,482
I tried the closed HD-600 with DHC cable. Sounds like someone shoved all the upper mids into my face.
Female vocals nearly gave me a splitting headache. Actually, they did. Sounded crystal clear and very upfront.
I believe the DHC has forward upper mids too, but you can ignore that. Could be like a double whammy on my ears.

I was at work though and listening to the HD-600 with the Airhead and an Ipod Classic 3G with LOD cable. Drives it perfectly.

I'll hurt someone's feelings, but the HD-600 sounds MUCH clearer with HD-580 grills or when closed. Something has me fooled.

Maybe the more forward low mids, mid-bass and slightly less treble of the HD-600 is doing it. Not sure. All a balancing acting I guess.

People say the HD-580 grills add all this extra resonance, but I think that's hogwash.

Why is the HD-600 so much more forgiving of bad music than the HD-580? I want my garbage tracks to sound like garbage dangit!

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #1,266 of 23,482
Recently upgraded my Fiio E7/9 to the Darkvoice 336i...

Brilliant !!!

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #1,267 of 23,482
I want to get a Schiit Lyr soon to replace my little dot III as soon as I have the cash, unfortunately I'll have to wait another couple of months AT LEAST :frowning2:(

Then probably will be the DAC (currently emu0404usb or beresford), last thing I want to upgrade is my cans I don't know why :)

I am already using a Cardas cable at the moment, would a 650 give me "more improvements" on higher end DACs/amps then my hd600 would ?

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #1,268 of 23,482
Just got a lightly used HD600 last week.  Listened to it for only a few minutes and I was completely disappointed.  I consider myself a newbie and the only pair of headphoens I have is the ATH-M50, which is a great headphone when I use it with my Fiio e6 amp.  The HD600 was so boring to my ears, even when driven by my fiio e6.  I have an iBasso D4 Mamba coming in soon, so I'll give he HD600s another chance, but I dont think its the headphones Im looking for.  I kinda like the closed awe-filling "in your face" sound that fills your entire ear, but was expecting something great with the HD600.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #1,269 of 23,482

Quote:
Just got a lightly used HD600 last week.  Listened to it for only a few minutes and I was completely disappointed.  I consider myself a newbie and the only pair of headphoens I have is the ATH-M50, which is a great headphone when I use it with my Fiio e6 amp.  The HD600 was so boring to my ears, even when driven by my fiio e6.  I have an iBasso D4 Mamba coming in soon, so I'll give he HD600s another chance, but I dont think its the headphones Im looking for.  I kinda like the closed awe-filling "in your face" sound that fills your entire ear, but was expecting something great with the HD600.

HD600 is all about realistic tonal balance, it won't give you "in your face" sound or thunderous bass.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #1,270 of 23,482
Is tonal balance really enough to give these headphones outstanding ratings?  Does it really justify the cost?  Pardon me since I'm new I want to appreciate these headphones but I cant :frowning2:  How can I appreciate these headphones more?

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #1,271 of 23,482
If the sound signature just doesn't appeal to you it's best to cut your losses and move on. Perhaps they will grow on you, but if they don't there isn't any point in forcing yourself to keep them because of other people's high ratings.

I sold my HD600 for similar reasons, they didn't do much for me. I now have some HD650s which I prefer, but they are still my bedtime can as they are great for making me want to sleep.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back