Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #1,231 of 23,499

Quote:
i think I've finally found "the one!" i have had over 20 headphones, yet when i finally got my hd600 it was amazing.
i don't think i will need the lcd-2 anymore, i love the sound of the lcd-2 but the hd600 is so much more comfortable, not to mention 1/4 of the price 
tongue_smile.gif

these headphones have not left my head since i got them. the naturalness and realism on them is amazing. currently listening to neil diamond on them, he has never sounded better 
smile_phones.gif

well in that case, I would be happy to take the lcd-2's of your hands....
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,232 of 23,499

Quote:
well in that case, I would be happy to take the lcd-2's of your hands....
biggrin.gif

oops sorry i should have wrote that better. i meant i had planned on buying the lcd-2 but the hd600 keeps wowing me every time i put them on.  i find the 600 a lot more comfortable than the lcd-2, i have a small head and the lcd-2 felt uncomfortable.
i am finally satisfied :)

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #1,233 of 23,499

Quote:

oops sorry i should have wrote that better. i meant i had planned on buying the lcd-2 but the hd600 keeps wowing me every time i put them on.  i find the 600 a lot more comfortable than the lcd-2, i have a small head and the lcd-2 felt uncomfortable.
i am finally satisfied :)

Hahaha, oh sure..... You just don't want to part with them is all 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #1,235 of 23,499
Anyone using their HD-600 with a Double Helix cable?

Previously I had used this wire with my HD-598 and hated it. I never figured out why or how. It was going directly to the drivers. I also tried one with the Q701 and didn't like it either and preferred stock or the ALO SXC cable.

I got in my HD-580 (with silver screen, same driver) a few weeks ago and immediately upgraded it with the HD-600 grills. I ended up wasting hours of my time and coming to the conclusion that I preferred the 580 with stock grills and cable. Whenever I put on the 600 grills the headphones just instantly went into snore-fest mode. The mids just were not as engaging or as forward. The bass was also very reduced, but there was a larger soundstage. Barely. Somehow it even seemed less clear with the 600 grills. What the heck?!

I also the HD-600 previously twice and the best i've heard it was on the Asgard. I ended up coming to the conclusion that it was a good do everything headphone, but it kind of bored me.  Just like with this HD-580 with HD-600 grills. Just preferences, that's all. I always liked the 598 a little more. Less warm and I generally hate very warm headphones.

I got in a DHC cable from Zombie_X and was surprised at how much more I like the HD-600. I first tried it with the HD-580 grills and it sounded good. I'm glad to say that with the HD-600 grills it's still as good if not better. With the stock cable it's the other way around. Wonder why.

Now cable haters can just skip this next part. The difference it seems is that the bass is much better, especially the sub-bass. The mids are much more engaging, clear and it's just a lot more fun to listen to. Are they just more forward? I don't know. I don't think so. The soundstage is also quite a bit larger, but nothing major. It's especially noticeable in classical music. I listened to the whole Red Violin soundtrack and was pretty impressed. My reaction was kind of like "is this the same headphone?"

The interesting thing is that when listening to the HD-580 with 580 grills it has this annoying upper mid peak that can be fairly ear piercing. It's much smoother on this cable. Why? No idea.

Of course I'm using the 600 grills now so it's basically an HD-600. The HD-600 is also not made any less warm or more warm. Pretty much just what I wanted.

I wonder why I disliked the DHC on the 598 but not the HD-600? Maybe the DHC does boost the mids a tiny bit, but it's unlikely.

I find a cheaply recabled 598  much more fun to listen to than the 580/600 with stock cable. With the DHC the HD-600 might now be a keeper for me and some serious competition for the 598. I should compare the CA-0363 recable 598 to this DHC HD-600. I think the HD-600 is still warmer and has a smaller soundstage. I think when I test this out with gaming, the differences will be more noticeable. I do think the 598 is much brighter than the HD-600 with stock cable. I noticed this in gaming yesterday.

I also noticed that without a good amp/dac, the benefits of cable upgrades are even less. When I didn't have a DAC I could never hear a difference between ANY K702 recables. Weird..now it's easy.

BTW the biggest benefit from a recable was when I upgraded the stock 598 wire. I'd say upgrading the HD-600 cable is just as big of a difference. Even greater than upgrading the Q701 cable.

I bet the DHC might actually make me like the HD-650..but not likely. How does the DHC wire compare to Cardas? Anyone tried both of them?

I once made a Mogami and Canare cable for the HD-650. I think it chopped off their treble slightly and made them a bit muffled. I guess due to the capacitance, both of those wires should be less bright. I imagine the DHC has a much higher capacitance? Don't know, but it doesn't sound too warm like the Canare. I bet Belden 1192A would be amazing for the HD-600 too. The funny part about all this is that if you would have asked me what I thought of DHC a week ago what I thought about it I would have told you I hated it. I guess it's amazing for some headphones, but less so on others. Maybe it's just some weird preference of mine? Seems DHC is amazing on the HD-600, but not so much for maybe say a DT-880 (that's a guess) or a very bright headphone or one with very forward mids? Kind of a mystery to me, but it'd be interesting to figure out.

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #1,236 of 23,499
Before I bought my HD600, the best headphones I've ever owned were an ampless Klipsch Image One and I wanted to upgrade so two months ago I had settled for the HD600s because I didn't wanna pay $500 bucks for the 650s. The 650s were once around $320-350 and I felt like I would be getting ripped off if I had paid $500.  Once I had my HD600 I wasn't really happy because at the time when i first tried them out with my fiio E9, I couldn't tell the difference between my old headphones and the HD600.  Now a few days ago I tried my old headphones again for the hell of it and the difference in quality was HUGE.  It's like my old headphones was a TV from the 70s and the HD600s is the best HDTV out right now.  That's how big of a difference it made.  I don't even have a good DAC yet cause I'm waiting on the E17 to become available but once I do I'm sure the sound quality from the HDE600 is gonna be even better.  This is probably my top 3 purchase of all time.

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #1,237 of 23,499
Depends on your source at them moment, but if you on-board soundcard isn't that great, you're going to enjoy the upgrade benefits again, magnified 
L3000.gif

Quote:
Before I bought my HD600, the best headphones I've ever owned were an ampless Klipsch Image One and I wanted to upgrade so two months ago I had settled for the HD600s because I didn't wanna pay $500 bucks for the 650s. The 650s were once around $320-350 and I felt like I would be getting ripped off if I had paid $500.  Once I had my HD600 I wasn't really happy because at the time when i first tried them out with my fiio E9, I couldn't tell the difference between my old headphones and the HD600.  Now a few days ago I tried my old headphones again for the hell of it and the difference in quality was HUGE.  It's like my old headphones was a TV from the 70s and the HD600s is the best HDTV out right now.  That's how big of a difference it made.  I don't even have a good DAC yet cause I'm waiting on the E17 to become available but once I do I'm sure the sound quality from the HDE600 is gonna be even better.  This is probably my top 3 purchase of all time.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #1,238 of 23,499
My beloved hd600....

This week end I got an hd598 for a cheap price from a friend, reminded me a lot of the hd595 with their weightless sound, grainy, undetailed... I am surprised the 2 have been compared...

Sinergy problems with my tube little dot III maybe ?! I think more lack of sinergy with my ears :)

I have already tried a few headphones under the 400 Euro Tag and to my hears the hd600 have no rivals.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #1,240 of 23,499
My beloved hd600....

This week end I got an hd598 for a cheap price from a friend, reminded me a lot of the hd595 with their weightless sound, grainy, undetailed... I am surprised the 2 have been compared...

Sinergy problems with my tube little dot III maybe ?! I think more lack of sinergy with my ears :)

I have already tried a few headphones under the 400 Euro Tag and to my hears the hd600 have no rivals.

Not certain about grainy and undetailed but I thought weightless was their sound signature.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #1,242 of 23,499
The darkvoice works right? Might be getting a 336 very soon

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #1,245 of 23,499

Quote:
It's probably because HD600 owners don't come to Head-fi  because they already have the perfect headphone.
wink_face.gif

That is a joke, right?
eek.gif

Certainly made me laugh, thanks for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back