Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,216 of 23,499
Quote:
I'm not even sure how to write this...

A decade ago I bought a Senn 600 and HATED it!  Was very weary of the 650 but did get one and liked it.  Moved to the O2, tried the HiFiMan range, the 800, moved to LCD-2 and now...

Back to the 600 and LOVE it!  Its actually annoying me that this relic of a can is so bloody good especially given its price.  Was my first one DOA, has Senn used their right to improve the product over time?  I don't know.  I just know that music sounds quite a bit more "right" through the 600 than it should.  No aftermarket cable, just the stock junky cable and its frankly more enjoyable than the LCD-2 with SilverDragon.  Would I like bass to extend further?  Yes, but the music I listen to really has nearly nothing going on sub 40Hz.  So I'm just stuck here, jaw on floor unable to explain why 1) its competing way above its price and 2) why is it not on everyone's short list?

Best I can guess...  Amps and DACs have advanced hand over fist since the 600 was released and since we all moved to darker and darker cans that the 600 was forgotten.  Which is sad since it's briliant on modern gear.  At any rate if my first 600 sounded anything like this one, I wouldn't have 1000+ posts :wink:

There was supposedly a driver change at some point. I know that my first HD600 had a treble peak that bordered on sibilance, but my current pair is very smooth. But ironically the newer version of the driver is apparently the brighter one, so my "newer" pair is probably the older version. I bought them both used in mint condition and re-sold the first pair so I never had them side by side to even confirm that the drivers had a different appearance so I'm not sure really, I just know they sounded different.

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #1,217 of 23,499
It actually peeks my interest in revisiting the 650, but that's another thread.  My 600 was bought new this month by the way in Canada at economik.com

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #1,218 of 23,499

Quote:
So I sent in my HD580s to get repaired and Sennheiser sent them back with a new set of HD600 Headband/pads/cable.  Do I now own a pair of HD600s??  
tongue.gif

Did they give you the matching lower trim piece? I ordered the headband and it didn't come with, so here's what mine looks like.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #1,220 of 23,499

Quote:
Nope, mine look like that as well.

Mmmmm - think they would have looked better with the 650 headband - would have been the same price I would have thought.

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #1,222 of 23,499
Sounds crazy, but has anyone tried the HD-580 grills on the HD-600?

I got the HD-580 and immediately noticed it seemed to have more forward mids than my old HD-600. Both have the silver screen.

I got some HD-600 grills and noticed I liked them a lot less with the HD-600 grills. How is that possible?!

Well it turns out that the stock grills on the HD-580  make the mids more forward than when using the HD-600 grills.

When playing a game, there is this low bass ominous rumble and it's MUCH more present and forward when using the 580 grills.

On the 580 with the HD-600 grills it's barely present.

I do like the HD-600, but have always picked the 598 as a preference due to it's more forward mids and larger soundstage. It seems the HD-600 with 580 grills would be comparable in the forwardness of it's mids to the 598.

(ignore the next line if cable talk offends you)
I also found the HD-650 cable to me adds to much bass to the HD-580 with stock grills. It just ruins the signature IMO, but some may like how it sounds.
The mids on the HD-650 cable are less forward due to the extra bass and possibly the extra treble.

I wish I knew all this when I had my HD-600. I would have shut up with my stupid complaining and got some 580 grills.

BTW badly mastered pop music with the mids cranked to max in the studio sound much worse with the HD-580 grills.
With the HD-600 grills it's a bit more bearable.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #1,224 of 23,499
The 580 grills are more forward and colored sounding. Its as if you are covering the back of the cans with your palms a little. Some people might actually prefer it. I liked the coloration myself too.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #1,225 of 23,499
I just wanted to say that I've owned my 600s for 3 years, 3 months now... and still have no desire to upgrade/change/etc. This is, by far, the longest I've ever lasted with a single piece of gear in my audio journey, be it speakers or headphones. These are just fantastic headphones, period.

Carry on.

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,226 of 23,499

Quote:
The 580 grills are more forward and colored sounding. Its as if you are covering the back of the cans with your palms a little. Some people might actually prefer it. I liked the coloration myself too.

Yeah I can see how some would hate it. It does seem a bit more congested, but nothing too bad. I guess my preference for headphones is something neutral or with slightly forward and engaging mids. I think with the HD-600 I'd probably be weird and EQ them.

The mids on the 580 are pretty good and getting better the more I listen to them. Even the upper mids are more forward than my favorite 598. Due to this, some material can be kind of ear piercing. Never thought I'd hear this from the HD-580/600.

I'd love to find other headphones with the mids of the SR-225i. My DJ100 has very similar mids I think. Supposedly the 558 has more forward mids than the 598 i've heard..

BTW some say adding the 580 grills makes the bass too bloated, but I don't think it's bad at all. It IS when adding the HD-650 cable (with stock grills it's ok).

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,227 of 23,499
I find the hd650 cables bloated also. I don't like them at all vs the stock wires. They don't sound coherent/integrated. They are also brighter sounding than the hd600 wires so its a V-shaped sounding cable vs the hd600 cables IMO.

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,228 of 23,499

Quote:
I'm not even sure how to write this...

A decade ago I bought a Senn 600 and HATED it!  Was very weary of the 650 but did get one and liked it.  Moved to the O2, tried the HiFiMan range, the 800, moved to LCD-2 and now...

Back to the 600 and LOVE it!  Its actually annoying me that this relic of a can is so bloody good especially given its price.  Was my first one DOA, has Senn used their right to improve the product over time?  I don't know.  I just know that music sounds quite a bit more "right" through the 600 than it should.  No aftermarket cable, just the stock junky cable and its frankly more enjoyable than the LCD-2 with SilverDragon.  Would I like bass to extend further?  Yes, but the music I listen to really has nearly nothing going on sub 40Hz.  So I'm just stuck here, jaw on floor unable to explain why 1) its competing way above its price and 2) why is it not on everyone's short list?

Best I can guess...  Amps and DACs have advanced hand over fist since the 600 was released and since we all moved to darker and darker cans that the 600 was forgotten.  Which is sad since it's briliant on modern gear.  At any rate if my first 600 sounded anything like this one, I wouldn't have 2000+ posts :wink:

Quoting for truth!!! I've recently been through a similar experience... haven't had the extent of headphones you've had, but, I've gone through the Audeze lineup, HD800s and still prefer the HD600s.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,229 of 23,499
To hd600 lovers that need closed headphones with a similar inoffensive/balanced quality I just made this thread here http://www.head-fi.org/t/598201/the-beyerdynamic-dt250-appreciation-thread#post_8181789

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #1,230 of 23,499
i think I've finally found "the one!" i have had over 20 headphones, yet when i finally got my hd600 it was amazing.
i don't think i will need the lcd-2 anymore, i love the sound of the lcd-2 but the hd600 is so much more comfortable, not to mention 1/4 of the price 
tongue_smile.gif

these headphones have not left my head since i got them. the naturalness and realism on them is amazing. currently listening to neil diamond on them, he has never sounded better 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back