Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #1,276 of 23,482

Quote:
You were also driving them with an E6...probably not the best move.

I thought the HD600 sounded fine right out of my iPod. They did sound better with a good amp, but it wasn't night and day.

An amp won't change the 600's from "boring" to "thrilling."

The bottom line is that the HD600 is an outstanding, neutral, musical headphone that does everything well but politely does not draw attention to itself.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,278 of 23,482

Quote:
I will adapt to this new headphone.

Do what I did and listen to the HD600 everyday for 2 months then go back to your old headphones.  You will be shocked what a big difference in quality there is and you will appreciate the HD600 a million times more.  I didn't like the 600s that much when I first got it now it is my top 3 purchase of all time.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #1,279 of 23,482
IMO, what is interesting should be the music itself, rather than the headphone.
I prefer a headphone that is neutral and authentic.

A piece of art seems to lose some value when you know that it looks great only because you have wore a special google.
Though you may doubt whether there is the art in itself...

I really appreciate someone who is so brilliant that he can invent such special google that makes every music sound good, like MSG in food.

But if there is music itself, then I think originality is an value. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #1,281 of 23,482

Quote:
IMO, what is interesting should be the music itself, rather than the headphone.
I prefer a headphone that is neutral and authentic.

A piece of art seems to lose some value when you know that it looks great only because you have wore a special google.
Though you may doubt whether there is the art in itself...

I really appreciate someone who is so brilliant that he can invent such special google that makes every music sound good, like MSG in food.

But if there is music itself, then I think originality is an value. 

All headphones are colored - there is no such thing as an "accurate" headphone.

The quest is to find the one that sounds good to you.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #1,282 of 23,482
If headphones are coloured in different degrees - more coloured, less coloured - then there must be one headphone that is the least coloured. Do I need to include some mathematics proof of what I said? xD

Quote:
All headphones are colored - there is no such thing as an "accurate" headphone.

The quest is to find the one that sounds good to you.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #1,283 of 23,482

Quote:
If headphones are coloured in different degrees - more coloured, less coloured - then there must be one headphone that is the least coloured. Do I need to include some mathematics proof of what I said? xD

If you know of a headphone that is uncolored to the point that it can recreate the original sound it is transmitting with such a high level of accuracy that no measurement device can detect any difference between the original sound and the headphones duplication of the same sound, then I don't want math - I want a make and model number...

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #1,284 of 23,482

Quote:
If you know of a headphone that is uncolored to the point that it can recreate the original sound it is transmitting with such a high level of accuracy that no measurement device can detect any difference between the original sound and the headphones duplication of the same sound, then I don't want math - I want a make and model number...

M50

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,285 of 23,482

Quote:

BOSE! It's not just another 4 letter word 
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #1,287 of 23,482

Quote:

Accurate is different from identical. What you want to say is that once a performance is recorded, the music must be colored when you listen to it through some electric appliance.

My experience is that when I listen to a music, which was enjoyable through low-end earphones, becomes less appealing with a high-end so called neutral and high clarity headphone, I inevitable love less that music, because, jeez, this woman is actuall saying quite bad!

Like it is okay to add MSG in food. I may sometimes want to listen that music again with my low-end headphone.

Lots of descriptions in this forum presupposes there is the music itself. For instance, the term "colored" is not possible unless you presuppose there is one original sound. It seems that people here often have the consensus about which headphone is more neutral. But it is possible that the concept of neutral was created by the audiophiles. And there is nothing as neutral.

So, my conclusion is only about the value of originality (for a headphone), but share the suspicion with you that whether there is indeed something as original. This suspicion is right because listening seems to be something very subjective. Who knows your original is the same as others' original? You can be rightly skeptical about all forms of description in this forum.

But once people agree that a headphone is neutral, You are hard to disagree that there is no extra credit for originality/neutrality/authenticity etc.

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #1,289 of 23,482
So I've been on the quest again. I've owned the HD600 in the past and I really liked it but I moved on but have been unable to find the tonality and presentation of the HD600 in any other headphone. Is there a natural upgrade to the HD600 because I have been unable to find such a headphone. I want it to coincide with my HE500 and Magnums but no idea where to start other than buying another HD600 but I did not like the headband at all as well as the tight clamp. If only Sennheiser made a HD800 level headphone but with the HD600 in mind..

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #1,290 of 23,482

There you go palmfish, duyu said it best.... measurements are meaningless in this hobby....we're not machines, and besides life is sometimes more palatable with some seasoning added 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Accurate is different from identical. What you want to say is that once a performance is recorded, the music must be colored when you listen to it through some electric appliance.

My experience is that when I listen to a music, which was enjoyable through low-end earphones, becomes less appealing with a high-end so called neutral and high clarity headphone, I inevitable love less that music, because, jeez, this woman is actuall saying quite bad!

Like it is okay to add MSG in food. I may sometimes want to listen that music again with my low-end headphone.

Lots of descriptions in this forum presupposes there is the music itself. For instance, the term "colored" is not possible unless you presuppose there is one original sound. It seems that people here often have the consensus about which headphone is more neutral. But it is possible that the concept of neutral was created by the audiophiles. And there is nothing as neutral.

So, my conclusion is only about the value of originality, but share the suspicion with you that whether there is indeed something as original. This suspicion is right because listening seems to be something very subjective. Who knows your original is the same as others' original? You can be rightly skeptical about all forms of description in this forum.

But once people agree that a headphone is neutral, You are hard to disagree that there is no extra credit for neutrality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back