Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #871 of 23,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Pride /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think frequency response only tells part of the story.  It gives an indication of what to expect, but not everything.  For example, the Q701 has better bass depth and punch than the HD600 according to headroom's graph pictured here- 
 ​
Now anyone who has heard both will know that is not the case, actually finding the opposite to be true(though the Q701 does have excellent bass extension).  While it's true the HD650 is bassier, the HD600 is by no means bass light.  Though, it is strange that measurements can show one thing while what one actually hears may be quite different.

Talking about frequency response graphs, they don't tell anything everything about the true in my experience also. Look at these graphs:

I have owned DT770's, and still own K81. I have not done any A/B testing, because I haven't owned these at the same time, but from what I remember, the AKG's had louder sub-bass. Edit: no, fk me, I must have been in drugs when I wrote this.

Also, with my friend we compared his Sennheiser HD205 vs. my K81's, and we both found out that AKG's have way more bass, and sub-bass. I had to boost 10dB @32hz to get the Sennheisers anywhere near the AKG's bass level. Although my AKG's had 100hrs+ on them, and the Sennheisers were brand new. But still, can burn-in make such a big difference?

Anything wrong with my ears, the graphs or both?

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #872 of 23,482
Just got around to buying new ear pads, a headband, and new grills for my HD600. Man I forgot how hard the new pads are! The HD600 has never felt or sounded better.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #874 of 23,482
You need a small flat head screwdriver firstly. Look to the locks on the inside of the headband with "Made in Ireland" (if it has that) and pop one out. Once those two clip/locks are popped out you can simply slip the old padding out.

Quote:
May I ask how to change the headband? I am really curious how to get the old one out. I am also considering replacing the ear pads and headband. Thanks.

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #875 of 23,482
does anybody travel with these?

i realize that they are open, but to be honest, even walking outside, these cans still sound better than the other headphones i have been trying out. one major pro consideration is that for whatever reason, the hd600 feel extremely comfortable, compared to many closed/portable cans, that don't feel quite so good.

so...does anybody else travel with these? and how do they do it, and what do they do with the 11' of cord?

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #876 of 23,482

Quote:
does anybody travel with these?

i realize that they are open, but to be honest, even walking outside, these cans still sound better than the other headphones i have been trying out. one major pro consideration is that for whatever reason, the hd600 feel extremely comfortable, compared to many closed/portable cans, that don't feel quite so good.

so...does anybody else travel with these? and how do they do it, and what do they do with the 11' of cord?

My HD600's feel way too delicate to me for me to use portably. Plus being open makes them really impractical to use anywhere other than a quiet room. I'm usually pretty satisfied with the M50's. Although nowhere near in sound quality, they are foldable, closed, and durable.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #878 of 23,482
just had to reaffirm in this thread how much I love the HD600.  I haven't used them for days I've mostly been using my home theater in 2.1 mode to enjoy most of my audio goodness (and it's no budget rig).  I just slapped on these cans since it's late at night and was struck in awe.  How can such a good can be so cheap (relatively speaking).  :)

Everyone keep enjoying these 600s.  :)

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #879 of 23,482
I just started using my hd600s with Linux and all I can say is WOW! All the veil that was left was lifted and it turned into an even better headphone than when using them out of windows. I am only using a FiiO E10 as a DAC hooked up to the FiiO E9 and the improvement is important enough for me that I formatted my computer and totally shifted to Linux. Only time will tell if Windows 8 can sound better than what I am listening to now out of the DeadBeeF player using ALSA.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #880 of 23,482

Quote:
I just started using my hd600s with Linux and all I can say is WOW! All the veil that was left was lifted and it turned into an even better headphone than when using them out of windows. I am only using a FiiO E10 as a DAC hooked up to the FiiO E9 and the improvement is important enough for me that I formatted my computer and totally shifted to Linux. Only time will tell if Windows 8 can sound better than what I am listening to now out of the DeadBeeF player using ALSA.

Not sure if you were previously using Foobar (in Win-world) - but the good news is that it works perfectly well using wine.  I'm running Debian 64b - with Foobar via wine.  So my chain is:

PC (Debian 64b) > Foobar (via wine) - using WASAPI and SoX plugin upsampling to 24/96 > coax to NFB-12 (running one of the 4x filters 24/96) > HD600

It's a really nice  set-up, especially having the full configurability and plugins of Foobar available. 

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #881 of 23,482
What about the sound? won't foobar under wine sound even worse than it does on windows? It goes through directsound or wasapi then still goes through the linux layer? or is foobar able to use ALSA or pulseaudio?

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #882 of 23,482
I started playing around with the foam in or out again.  I ended up with replacing the foam with some very, thin speaker grill cloth.  The sound did change.  The upper range seemed to open up.  Not as much as without any foam, which I didn't care for.  

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #883 of 23,482

Quote:
What about the sound? won't foobar under wine sound even worse than it does on windows? It goes through directsound or wasapi then still goes through the linux layer? or is foobar able to use ALSA or pulseaudio?

It uses ALSA.  I'm using KDE4 - so it's ALSA via phonon (vlc backend).  I doubt the WASAPI setting is actually doing anything - but its the default setting so I just left it there.  Sounds perfectly great to me + I get the goodness of Foobar.

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #884 of 23,482
Just a quick story I feel the need to share. I asked for an HD600 and a Schiit Asgard for Christmas, though I knew my dad would just get me Beats Pro's and say "They looked cooler", so my hope pretty much died. Well, I walked into my mom's today, and saw a box with the Shiit logo on it, along with a decently sized box alongside it from Amazon. I won't know if it's actually an HD600 until Christmas morning, but I was and still am estatic.

I'll certainly report back if it turns out to be an HD600.

Dec 24, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #885 of 23,482
Turns out to be a cool looking HD4x8 muhahahaha~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back