Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #856 of 23,499

Quote:
Back to talking about the hd600 mods...

I'm still going back and forth with the inner foams in and out.  One night I like them out, another night I like them in.  I have no choice with the outer foams as I'm pretty sure there's no way to get those back in without major disassembly.

One thing that bugs me about frequency graphs is (on the Headroom graphs for instance) the 1000 HZ matching.  It's typically just a blip on the radar and everything else is way different.  Match another frequency and everything changes.

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #857 of 23,499

Quote:
What do you guys think of the fact that innerfidelity's FR measurements show the HD650 as much more neutral than the HD600, the HD600 having recessed bass. Could it be that a lot of hifi'ers are bass-shy? :O  Also the DT880 shows as more neutral than either the HD650 or HD600.

I'm hardly bass shy (have a pair of Denon AH-D7000 here along with a wicked sub in my home theater).  I will say that when I add a small amount of EQ to the HD600 on the lower spectrum and lower the total gain to level out any distortion and it's a dream.  Makes a similar punch to my AH-D7000 (not as strong but close...shocking I know) without the midrange recession of the Denon's.

Approx +2dB at 80Hz and +4dB at 55Hz in a sloping pattern is what I'm doing at the moment with a -5dB on the gain to negate any distortion.  It's heaven.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #858 of 23,499

Quote:
I'm still going back and forth with the inner foams in and out.  One night I like them out, another night I like them in.  I have no choice with the outer foams as I'm pretty sure there's no way to get those back in without major disassembly.

One thing that bugs me about frequency graphs is (on the Headroom graphs for instance) the 1000 HZ matching.  It's typically just a blip on the radar and everything else is way different.  Match another frequency and everything changes.

It takes only a few seconds to get the rear foam back in. Thats what I was talking about with the puller. There is no way I'm taking them out again. The mids become smeared and tame with the rear foam off, I don't like it.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #859 of 23,499

Quote:
Thats what I was talking about with the puller.

biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #860 of 23,499
Is it sad when someone yells at an innocent piece of foam calling it bad names?

I got the first one in, but no way is it like it came from Sennheiser, under the plastic frame like it was.

But this second one is giving me hell.  This person!

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #864 of 23,499
Waiting on your impressions Eee Pee with the foam in/out from the HD600

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #865 of 23,499

Quote:
Waiting on your impressions Eee Pee with the foam in/out from the HD600

Hey, I see that you have the TF10.  I do, too.  Let's say that without the foams the HD 600s are like the HD 800 in their overall sound character.  Lean, quick, transparent.  And with the foams in place they sound a bit like the UE TF10, especially with the Comply tips.  Rarely sibilant, smooth from top to bottom, and a bit distant overall, maybe even leaning towards dull, but very easy to listen to for hours on end.

I just yanked the ear cup foams out mid song and honestly, it's like cleaning a window.

It's very easy and quick to pop the ear pads off and take the foams out.  After a few put them between your head and the headphones and see what happens.  It's not a small change.  It's surprising really.

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #866 of 23,499
what about the differences with the rear foam, did you notice the extra clarity in the mids with it back on?

If the sound when taking out the front foam is the hd800 sound then I think i'll pass unless you are just talking about the treble. The mids with the pads off are awful. The cans sound cheap and unrefined with the foam off to me.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #867 of 23,499
The HD650 sounds rough and reverb-ey with front foam off as well IMO, FWIW.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #869 of 23,499
I just took the foam out from in front of the drivers in my HD600s and they sound better than ever. The sound is more forward and engaging. Maybe a tiny bit more detailed about the mids and highs and more spacious due to the lack of the acoustic filter the foam provides. I like the foam out sound of the HD600s and I don't think I'll be putting them back in. I'm hesitant to remove the foam from behind the drivers since that mod is irreversible (if I'm not mistaken) and I don't want to risk ending up with a sound that I don't like. Besides, I'm plenty pleased with the sound as they are now and don't feel they need any further modification.
L3000.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #870 of 23,499
I guess it depends on whether you like the laid-back sound signature. For me, I moved on from a pair of ms1000 in order for something more reference class, flat and more importantly it has to do everything just right. No added flavour. And the HD 580 is my reference right now. But then they make me feel like I am listening to my music in the studio mastering room instead of the actual recording room, if you understand what I mean.

By cutting a hole out from the front foam (a bit like the grado quater mod, Kramer did that to his hd 580 as well), I find them sounding more engaging and clearer, if I can still recall the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back