Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #886 of 23,499

Quote:
Just a quick story I feel the need to share. I asked for an HD600 and a Schiit Asgard for Christmas, though I knew my dad would just get me Beats Pro's and say "They looked cooler", so my hope pretty much died. Well, I walked into my mom's today, and saw a box with the Shiit logo on it, along with a decently sized box alongside it from Amazon. I won't know if it's actually an HD600 until Christmas morning, but I was and still am estatic.

I'll certainly report back if it turns out to be an HD600.

The Asgard is a solid amp. Congrats, there are very few systems that will perform better - and the ones that do cost 10X more and offer very subtle differences at best.

I've listened to a number of high-end rigs over the past few months, and while some have advantages over the 600 here and there, overall, I can't say any of them sound "better" than the 600. Different, yes. Better, no. After 6 months of ownership, I truly believe the HD 600 is THE sweet spot for high-end performance : price.

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #887 of 23,499
i have the HD600, and i love them:) i run them of my Matrix m-stage, and it's doing a really god job:)

Merry Xmas everybody
gs1000.gif

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #890 of 23,499
They not only sound great, but they are also extremely good at ripping out my hair.

I use these unamped quite often, and they do very well, all things considered.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #891 of 23,499
I'm looking for a cheap portable amp/dac (or just an amp) for these headphones.  Any suggestions?  I know they are a harder headphone to drive.

Source would be either my laptop or my cell phone (Galaxy S2) so it's connectivity is either mini-USB or 1/8th" phono out. 

I was eyeballing the Filo E7...good call?  Maybe the Filo E11 (and forget the DAC just go for a good AMP).

Primary use would be on an airplane or the like.  On occasion, I may hook up my ear buds into this thing so size is important it would have to fit into my pocket in a pair of gym shorts.  Buds are in my sig the Denon 560s.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #892 of 23,499
Another happy owner of the HD600 here.

This thing proved to be leagues ahead of srh840 right out of the box and straight from the Xonar!

BUT

The grip on this thing is killing me, any suggestions on how to alleviate this problem?

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #893 of 23,499
Maybe wait for the FiiO E17..? Headphonia mentioned it gives good dynamics to the HD580 (which = HD600).

E7 would not be enough to get your HD600 sing. That was the reason I bought the E9 afterwards, and the performance of it is still far from what I've heard from meets. What is your budget?

Quote:
I'm looking for a cheap portable amp/dac (or just an amp) for these headphones.  Any suggestions?  I know they are a harder headphone to drive.

Source would be either my laptop or my cell phone (Galaxy S2) so it's connectivity is either mini-USB or 1/8th" phono out. 

I was eyeballing the Filo E7...good call?  Maybe the Filo E11 (and forget the DAC just go for a good AMP).

Primary use would be on an airplane or the like.  On occasion, I may hook up my ear buds into this thing so size is important it would have to fit into my pocket in a pair of gym shorts.  Buds are in my sig the Denon 560s.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #894 of 23,499

Quote:
The grip on this thing is killing me, any suggestions on how to alleviate this problem?

Keep wearing it? The headband really is tight but if it's new the pads are stiff too, so both contribute to the discomfort. Although I like it that way the HD600 since the earpads are circumaural, but I really hated it with Grados once the pads get a good amount of time on them. These are the ones that actually feel better while the pads are stiff, because when they really soften up, they press the plastic against your ear.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #895 of 23,499

Quote:
Maybe wait for the FiiO E17..? Headphonia mentioned it gives good dynamics to the HD580 (which = HD600).

E7 would not be enough to get your HD600 sing. That was the reason I bought the E9 afterwards, and the performance of it is still far from what I've heard from meets. What is your budget?

Another good option is the Objective2 portable amp.  I think there is one in the classified right now.

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #896 of 23,499
I don't really have much of a budget other than I don't want to spend more than maybe $150/200.  I want this thing to fit in a pocket comfortably next to my cell phone.  I don't care if it's a DAC/AMP or just an AMP but if it's a dac/amp it has to be compatible with the Galaxy S2 phone.  Thanks. 

Quote:

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #897 of 23,499

Quote:
I don't really have much of a budget other than I don't want to spend more than maybe $150/200.  I want this thing to fit in a pocket comfortably next to my cell phone.  I don't care if it's a DAC/AMP or just an AMP but if it's a dac/amp it has to be compatible with the Galaxy S2 phone.  Thanks.

In that case, the E17 is probably your best bet.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #898 of 23,499
how much and when is it available?  I can't find it anywhere at the moment.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #899 of 23,499

Quote:

slide the adjustments to make them as big as possible, and then bend the exposed metal part of the headband only.
bend it outward for 5 seconds. repeat as many times as necessary until they feel comfortable.

i did this about ten times on each side for a few days until they really loosened up.
now they feel extremely comfortable.
just don't bend the top of the headband, or any part of the plastic and you're good.

(there was a post on here somewhere that describes how to do it properly so that the headband doesn't crack, so search for that.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back