Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #23,193 of 23,501
Nαι βρε πατριδα εψαχνα καποιο οικονομικο για να τα κανω balance, προκειμενου να ακουω με dongle. Απο Ali εχει δασμους και ιστοριες? Εχεις καποια προταση?
Έχω αλλά πρέπει να βρω το λινκ 6 χρόνια πριν. Πολύ φτηνό και καλό 25 λίρες βαριά βαριά με μεταφορικά από ebay. Κάνε ένα search στο 58Χ αν βρεις κανένα post παμπάλαιο δικό μου κάπου το γραφω. Από ebay να το στειλουν σαν δώρο δεν θα έχει δασμούς αλλά ακριβύναν πολύ και τα υλικά τα τελευταία χρόνια.

I will PM you for more information

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #23,194 of 23,501
I do not understand what he has to save here.

The HD600 original unbalanced cable is the worst among all 6 series some people find an improvement even by using the 650 original unbalanced cable.

Then, the whole 6 series is benefited mostly by using a balanced cable, not because of the cable per se, but because the balanced versions of most dongles/amps give more power and this series relatively needs it.
Not always, the answer whichever gives more/better power SE or XLR. Input impedance and damping factor for "better".
Then the original cables from sennheiser split two late before the neck and some people like me feel choked by the cable.

So by bying a moderate priced balanced cable (mine is 40£) you have all the benefits mentioned above, a more rounded sound possibly (depend on the particular cable) that may ameliorate the situation (depend on implementation).

I have the original balanced cable from Sennheiser in my 660s2 because I believe that sounds probably the best but is too long for me (1.8 vs 1.5 or 1.2) and still splits too close to my neck. And is coming only if you buy the HD660S2 or the 660s1 (3m version only for the 660s) otherwise you need to pay 175€ (or 300€ for the 3m).

I am the last one here that is proposing expensive cables but moderate priced (25£ to 40£) for a decent balanced cable (and aesthetically pleasing) sounds a decent deal to me.

The rest, if they come, will be a very welcomed bonus.
DIY even cheaper - the key is OFC copper.

PEQ does and amp changes can have a far larger difference assuming the cables max out the amp.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #23,195 of 23,501
Not always, the answer whichever gives more/better power SE or XLR. Input impedance and damping factor for "better".

DIY even cheaper - the key is OFC copper.
Why not silver coated?

As I said there amps that may magnificent unbalanced by design but all my cheap stuff Bluetooth dac amps, portable amps and dongles where designed to play better / give more power with the balanced output.

Xcan, btr5, ka3, ka5, etc. Only go bar had very good unbalanced output still prefered the balanced one.

DIY is amazing if you know to DIY a cable...:) i have no clue how to make a cable haha...most importantly i have no time to do it. But yes you can put the best materials plus the satisfaction you did it yourself. Respect that you can do it.

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #23,196 of 23,501
Nαι βρε πατριδα εψαχνα καποιο οικονομικο για να τα κανω balance, προκειμενου να ακουω με dongle. Απο Ali εχει δασμους και ιστοριες? Εχεις καποια προταση?
This is what i have found after a lot of search.

"Lunashop balanced silver coated cable for 22£. Amazing cable quite the match for the senns."

I said.

"Look at eBay seller eachdiy2017"

Someone else said.
20230827_111014.jpg

In this photo the lunashop 22£ cable is on 58X. The gravia on 660s and the 660s2 had the altura. I bought the same tripowin altura for my elex as well.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #23,197 of 23,501
Why not silver coated?
I have a silver plated and a pure silver. They do seem to have a bit more high end than the well respected OFC cables that fit the same cans, but I would call it a difference of 98.5 to 100, which is vastly less than say:

* the improvement of going from SE -> XLR on my Rag 1
* pad changes - virtually all cases - try a HD-600 pad from 2016 that has 3k hours on it vs what Senn sells now as the replacement.
* DAC's - specific cases, not every case

and somewhat less than the small change in one PEQ setting - say my ~9k -3.6 db Q 8 setting on my HE-500 & HE-6 SE.

As I said there amps that may magnificent unbalanced by design but all my cheap stuff Bluetooth dac amps, portable amps and dongles where designed to play better / give more power with the balanced output.
It's true for my amp too, not all - for instance faux balanced designs.
Xcan, btr5, ka3, ka5, etc. Only go bar had very good unbalanced output still prefered the balanced one.
OK, I don't dispute that, and my prior post did not say that. BTW, I have been using all balanced (unless there is no XLR) for 30 years (I even wired my tone arm to be balanced at one point). But when you get SE cables as part of a package of new/used equipment, one must at least test them out.....
DIY is amazing if you know to DIY a cable...:) i have no clue how to make a cable haha...most importantly i have no time to do it. But yes you can put the best materials plus the satisfaction you did it yourself. Respect that you can do it.
Yeah, DIY is much easier for say speaker cables. The cables themselves are not so tough but re re-wiring inside of cups to the driver - very much more difficult.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #23,198 of 23,501
Hey guys, I had a mind-blowing experience yesterday during a 2-hour listening session with my HD600 headphones plugged into my Topping G5. Let me tell you, the level of detail I got from these headphones was absolutely incredible! Now, here's the interesting part: the HD600 isn't really known for its detail retrieval. In fact, a pair of IEMs that are often praised for their detail retrieval couldn't even come close to what I experienced with the HD600.

The particular HD600 I tried out was the 2021 one, and I paired it with my Topping G5. The track that really showcased the headphone's detail retrieval capabilities was "Trashin' the Camp" by Phil Collins & NSYNC, from 0:44 to 1:04. In that section, there are these super fast drum rolls in the background right after every "pip pip" sounding male vocal and a bass line. Most headphones or IEMs I've listened to tend to mask these drum rolls or not reproduce them at all. Even my high-end IEMs like the IER-M9, my previous IER-Z1R, and Contour XO (which cost me 2000$ each) couldn't fully capture those drum rolls, there are only slightest feeling of something being played at the place of the drum rolls. Headphones like the Beyer dt770, dt880, dt990, T1p, Sony MDR-MV1, and even the HD650 fell short as well. But when I listened to that track on the HD600, it was like a whole new world opened up. I could hear each drum attack separately and the entire drum roll was crystal clear. It was a breathtaking experience!

I'd love for you guys to try it out with your HD600 and share your impressions. I would really appreciate it!

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #23,199 of 23,501
^ that's great. peak experiences with music are classic. Sometimes with some music I get something like that with my '16 600's. That's why I won't sell them. Other times and musics I get the same thing with my other 3 transducers.

I will take a crack at that cut and see - with all 4 of them to see what's what.

Try out Phil's side project "Brand X" and if you can find any recordings of Genesis from I think '78 when Phil and Bill Bruford were doing the drumming. Kenwood Dennard is another one from that time frame that hits the roto toms fast and hard. Of course Bruford's work on Yes and King Crimson are also notable. I still can't figure out everything he does on K.C.'s "Fracture" from S&BB.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #23,200 of 23,501
Hey guys, I had a mind-blowing experience yesterday during a 2-hour listening session with my HD600 headphones plugged into my Topping G5. Let me tell you, the level of detail I got from these headphones was absolutely incredible! Now, here's the interesting part: the HD600 isn't really known for its detail retrieval. In fact, a pair of IEMs that are often praised for their detail retrieval couldn't even come close to what I experienced with the HD600.

The particular HD600 I tried out was the 2021 one, and I paired it with my Topping G5. The track that really showcased the headphone's detail retrieval capabilities was "Trashin' the Camp" by Phil Collins & NSYNC, from 0:44 to 1:04. In that section, there are these super fast drum rolls in the background right after every "pip pip" sounding male vocal and a bass line. Most headphones or IEMs I've listened to tend to mask these drum rolls or not reproduce them at all. Even my high-end IEMs like the IER-M9, my previous IER-Z1R, and Contour XO (which cost me 2000$ each) couldn't fully capture those drum rolls, there are only slightest feeling of something being played at the place of the drum rolls. Headphones like the Beyer dt770, dt880, dt990, T1p, Sony MDR-MV1, and even the HD650 fell short as well. But when I listened to that track on the HD600, it was like a whole new world opened up. I could hear each drum attack separately and the entire drum roll was crystal clear. It was a breathtaking experience!

I'd love for you guys to try it out with your HD600 and share your impressions. I would really appreciate it!
Welcome to the club.
For many years on a daily basis my HD600 gives me emotions like no other headphone can.
HD600 is the GOAT.

I recommend to anyone starting new into the hobby, go first on budget with - - - and start from there.

- HD600
- LD MKII
- AGD R2R R1N

and then listen loud to this track. :L3000:- If you don't want to spend many thousands more for a few percent, there's a good chance this is already the end of your journey and you have successfully escaped the rabbit hole ^^

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #23,201 of 23,501
• And .... you don't always have to listen 'loud', although the 'fun factor' definitely rises!
• Anyway .... when the h/p/a for HD-600 isn't Woo WA3 (OTL), Beyerdynamic A20, it's Violectric HPA V281!! Superb combination at any volume!!
1D64CC8E-8899-486E-B41B-70C12AA650A0.jpeg
[Kudos to Fog City Audio XLR headphone cable (Cardas copper).]

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #23,202 of 23,501
^ that's great. peak experiences with music are classic. Sometimes with some music I get something like that with my '16 600's. That's why I won't sell them. Other times and musics I get the same thing with my other 3 transducers.

I will take a crack at that cut and see - with all 4 of them to see what's what.

Try out Phil's side project "Brand X" and if you can find any recordings of Genesis from I think '78 when Phil and Bill Bruford were doing the drumming. Kenwood Dennard is another one from that time frame that hits the roto toms fast and hard. Of course Bruford's work on Yes and King Crimson are also notable. I still can't figure out everything he does on K.C.'s "Fracture" from S&BB.
I would really appreciate hearing your impressions about the cut, and I can't wait to listen to the Genesis recordings. When I have some free time, I will definitely search for a few of their tracks.

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #23,203 of 23,501
Welcome to the club.
For many years on a daily basis my HD600 gives me emotions like no other headphone can.
HD600 is the GOAT.

I recommend to anyone starting new into the hobby, go first on budget with - - - and start from there.

- HD600
- LD MKII
- AGD R2R R1N

and then listen loud to this track. :L3000:- If you don't want to spend many thousands more for a few percent, there's a good chance this is already the end of your journey and you have successfully escaped the rabbit hole ^^

I really enjoy the feeling of discovering new details in the music I love, and I didn't expect this with the HD600. The new details I can hear from the HD600 are truly amazing. I really need an HD600 here to listen to my entire music collection again!

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #23,204 of 23,501
• And .... you don't always have to listen 'loud', although the 'fun factor' definitely rises!
• Anyway .... when the h/p/a for HD-600 isn't Woo WA3 (OTL), Beyerdynamic A20, it's Violectric HPA V281!! Superb combination at any volume!! 1D64CC8E-8899-486E-B41B-70C12AA650A0.jpeg[Kudos to Fog City Audio XLR headphone cable (Cardas copper).]
Wow, your gear looks amazing! I've always wished I had a desktop amp like yours. Could you share some impressions about the sound of your setup? It would be great if you could test a recording of Phil Collins :gs1000smile:.

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #23,205 of 23,501
Wow, your gear looks amazing! I've always wished I had a desktop amp like yours. Could you share some impressions about the sound of your setup? ....
• Some general observations: first, remember that HD-600 is a high-impedance headphone (300 ohms, nominal). The headphone 'norm' is 30 ohms - 50 ohms.
• The Topping G5 is rated to deliver 175 milliwatts into 300 ohms. This is quite good itself - but quite different from the rated 1200 milliwatts into 32 ohms.
• As wonderful as HD-600 / Topping G5 sounds to you now .... if you get a portable (or desktop) DAC/amp that delivers greater power into 300 ohms, the HD-600 sound improves dramatically in many respects. These include clarity, control, dynamics, impact, soundstage .... your overall excitement / involvement will skyrocket .... ☑️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back