Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #23,206 of 23,499
• The Topping G5 is rated to deliver 175 milliwatts into 300 ohms. This is quite good itself - but quite different from the rated 1200 milliwatts into 32 ohms.
Wow, thank you for your kind words about the helpful information on the G5. I will look into learning more about Desktop amps.

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #23,207 of 23,499
Is there any budget Tube amplifier for HD600? Does it worth or I am ok with my Heed CanAmp which I mostly use with my K701. I do not have much space on my desk so I would prefer a compact solution, that is the reason I was looking for a dongle dac/amp, as I read that HD600 are easily drive.

I can easy say that even my Go Link can drive them fairly enough.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #23,208 of 23,499
Is there any budget Tube amplifier for HD600? Does it worth or I am ok with my Heed CanAmp which I mostly use with my K701. I do not have much space on my desk so I would prefer a compact solution, that is the reason I was looking for a dongle dac/amp, as I read that HD600 are easily drive.

Guys here will help you to choose a super proper desktop amp but in case you look for a desktop-like dongle i will advise you to look for the KA17 which i have reviewed recently here.

I love the go link that i have also reviewed in the past here but the ka17 is on an another universe. I have not tried them with the HD600 because my pair is located currently ... in by beloved frapedoupoli...:)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #23,209 of 23,499

Schiit Vali2 ++. This amp drives the HD6xx series beautifully.

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #23,210 of 23,499
Got a new pair of HD 600's in, they're so much better than my HD 650. I always thought there was something wrong with the mids of the HD 650, the HD 600 just confirms it. The HD 650's extra mid-bass warmth combined with the strong upper mids just doesn't agree with me, creates a bit of a hard brassy timbre to my ears.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #23,211 of 23,499
Is there any budget Tube amplifier for HD600? Does it worth or I am ok with my Heed CanAmp which I mostly use with my K701. I do not have much space on my desk so I would prefer a compact solution, that is the reason I was looking for a dongle dac/amp, as I read that HD600 are easily drive....
Here is a tube headphone amplifier, which is Output Transformer-Less, that should command your attention! Plus, the price is very attractive!
9E32DD26-D717-41A7-A5ED-D20C89830E5C.jpeg
[The synergy between TA-26 / TA-26S and Sennheiser 600 series headphones is said by users to be very high.]

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #23,212 of 23,499
Here is a tube headphone amplifier, which is Output Transformer-Less, that should command your attention! Plus, the price is very attractive! [The synergy between TA-26 / TA-26S and Sennheiser 600 series headphones is said by users to be very high.]

TA-26 (tubes changed), 600 and 650 user here....the pairing is indeed great!

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #23,214 of 23,499
Oh nice thank you all for your recommendations!

Does the TA 26 tubes need to change? I am asking as I am new to the tube area!
The tubes under normal use should be good for ~ 5000 hours. When the h/p/a is not in use, switch it off. Also, avoid quick successive on/off switching - this leads to faster tube wear. You can change ("roll") tubes, using equivalent / identical types, to get a different sonic 'flavour' from TA-26 / TA-26S.

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #23,215 of 23,499
The tubes under normal use should be good for ~ 5000 hours. When the h/p/a is not in use, switch it off. Also, avoid quick successive on/off switching - this leads to faster tube wear. You can change ("roll") tubes, using equivalent / identical types, to get a different sonic 'flavour' from TA-26 / TA-26S.
How do you know when a tube is about to reach its musical end? Does the perceived volume change or does the sound lose quality?

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #23,216 of 23,499
Hello, are there any replacemant headbands for thr HD600 that isnt from sennheiser? I would like a leather one but i can't find any. I found a few earpads but what do you guys think about these are they worth buying? Would use it with HD600/HD6XX

Leather:

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/products/zmf-hd6xx-sub-pads?variant=43053273055395

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-sheepskin-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd600-headphones/

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-hybrid-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd600-headphones/

Velour:

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...our-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd600-headphones/

I know that velour goes better with open backs and leather with closed backs but i would still like to know witch one to chose and if any one has experience with these pads. Dekoni has more pads than this i did not check if there are more ZMF pads.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #23,217 of 23,499
How do you know when a tube is about to reach its musical end? Does the perceived volume change or does the sound lose quality?
A number of things can happen. Channel imbalance is probably the most notable since it offers a difference. Highs can decrease but over time - you can get used to it, same with bass getting a little fatter.

If you buy a new amp with new tubes, you don't have to worry about decreasing sound quality - from what they are. Stick with those, and read up on boards that have posts about your amp by owners, that will give you some ideas. BUT, here is a write up on NOS tubes: I run my tube amp with one NOS tube and a stock tube - for example but you need to find what's best for you.

The whole NOS (new/old stock) thing can be fascinating, and major improvements can be found. But the amount of counterfeits, untested, unmatched, old junky ones., etc. means that its an area fraught with potential issues - negative ones. Try www.audiotubes.com (Brent Jessee) and read his reviews on all the options for the tube types you have. Fascinating and addictive. I trust him. Most of the one/off guys on ebay are out and out not to be trusted. For instance they all claim to have "tested" tubes, but never respond when you ask for a data sheet or details. Unless you are prepared, might be best to get some of the ones made these days - but the NOS folks will always throw shade on that choice - unless they sell them too.

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #23,218 of 23,499
I thank you. When I change my 6as7g I will refer to audiotubes.com. Buying from reputable stores is also important.

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #23,219 of 23,499
I thank you. When I change my 6as7g I will refer to audiotubes.com. Buying from reputable stores is also important.
Oops - he does small signal tubes. Lots of write up on that tube connected with the Bottlehead Crack amp and similar - those are good resources.

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #23,220 of 23,499
It’s been a 22 year love affair. Gone are the Focal Utopia, PS2000e, GS3000e & GS3000X, HD800 S, Hifiman 500 & many other higher priced and FOTM headphones; but for me, and, yes, my subjective taste, the HD600 still reigns supreme after my long journey in this hobby.

I’m enjoying Larry Carlton’s, Blue Sapphire album with it’s masterful production, & the HD600 let’s me discover every facet of sound and instrument in a detailed and balanced perfection. Bass, midrange, treble, transient sounds, fast percussion, sound decay, are all perfectly balanced without a hint of distortion, without upper bass or bottom midrange mixing. For example also, the bass drum and toms are solid and detached from the rest of the instruments/ sounds. They’re also very pronounced depending on the mixture/ production and drummer’s touch.

My set up is excellent & the best I’ve owned : Bryston BCD-1 (I listen to CDs), BDA-2 & BHA-1. Also, the Schiit Lokius at minimal usage. An 9 o’clock bass adjustment and 4 o’clock treble adjustment. That’s it. The volume is at 9 o’clock. The DAC is at 44K1.

As I’m writing and listening, there’s a passage in the music which contains multiple instruments including different types of brass horns, percussion, drums, guitars & bass and everything is heard, nothing buried or blurred.

I’ve praised this headphone many times over the years. How can I not. Tyll Hertsens was still praising them during his last year with Innerfidelity. The HD600 was still part of his Wall of Fame, a 21 year old headphone at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back