Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #21,286 of 23,501
So after two years and breaking them when they drop you've realized the sound is "reasonable?" I would have thought that may have occurred to you 1 year and 11 months ago, not to mention before the 150 pages of 'fan boys.'

Personally I think they're fantastic for the price, especially if you pair them well. Sorry your recent experience has colored your thoughts of them.

Good point, I don't know why some new ID with a handful of posts made some seemingly fake comments like that. HD600/HD650 are quality products, they can last decades, and many indeed did.

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #21,290 of 23,501
@cddc Considering BH Crack's SQ can range VERY far from end to end depending on tube and hardware implementation, I wouldn't doubt a Crack could best the Horizon. Having said that, there is something very special about the HD600 paired with the Horizon. If I had to describe my listening experiences, in short, the Crack provides warmth to a point of sweating, whereas the Horizon provides all the wonderful soundstage and detail retrieval as the stock Crack but in a more precise way with a kiss of warmth.

Very subjective opinion. I daily drive my HD600 on my Crack because I sold my Horizon a couple years back. Looking forward, I will definitely pickup another Horizon at some point BUT, Jeremy from Garage1217 did say he was working on a special project this year :) I tried to get more information but he wouldn't budge xD.

At some point I'd like to add the Speedball with an Audio Note 100k pot.

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #21,291 of 23,501
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I think your description on the sound differences is spot on with my expectation regarding a hybrid amp vs a pure tube amp.

Based on your preferences I would definitely recommend you to add the Speedball upgrade first. It will push the amp into a more linear zone, reduces some tubeyness, but come up with more refined sound, kinda lean more towards the solid state sound direction (to your liking :) ) but without the SS harshness.

I haven't read too much comment on the Audio Note pot, but if I were to upgrade my pot, I'd more likely go for a stepped attenuator.

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #21,292 of 23,501
HD600 and HD650 are 2 of the few products with the highest performance/price ratio. Many people's Hi-Fi journey started from them, including mine.

Without them, the Hi-Fi community would have been much smaller.
My head-fi travels started with HD600 and took me to many headphone, amplifier, cable, tube and adapter stops on the way. The HD600 has been in the rotation, one way or another, the whole time:)

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #21,294 of 23,501
I started with the 650 because of headfi 10 years ago.
Some random thoughts and questions:

Are you upset that they didn't convince you to get the 600 instead? I would be.
Somebody owes you a lot of money
We owe other people a lot of money since we joined so it is probably in our favor to forget all about that and not mention it

:D

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #21,295 of 23,501
So after two years and breaking them when they drop you've realized the sound is "reasonable?" I would have thought that may have occurred to you 1 year and 11 months ago, not to mention before the 150 pages of 'fan boys.'

Personally I think they're fantastic for the price, especially if you pair them well. Sorry your recent experience has colored your thoughts of them.
It is just my opinion.
I know that my talk is blasphemy for almost 1421 pages of fans.
I know it is considered an icon.
I think the sound is 'allright/good' (sry), but i think the build quality is not ok.

On the positive, i could say the hd-600 is true 'over ear' and has good fit.
Very comfortable.

The form of many headphones who claim to be 'over ear' and not 'on ear' (like the yamaha mt5 or the roland rh-300)
hurt/press on parts of the ear (they are not true 'over ear')
The hd-600 has great fit, and air-flow.

But, i like the sound of my yamaha mt-5 and Roland rh-300 way better.
I think they respond to eq way better also. Helas , they hurt the ear more, and they are closed,
so no ventilation in/on the ears.

I know, i am cursing in church here

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #21,296 of 23,501
Just get them fixed and put them back on again, man.

tenor.gif

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #21,297 of 23,501
It is just my opinion.
I think the sound is 'allright/good' (sry), but i think the build quality is not ok.

Very comfortable.

The form of many headphones who claim to be 'over ear' and not 'on ear' (like the yamaha mt5 or the roland rh-300)

I think they respond to eq way better also. Helas , they hurt the ear more, and they are closed,

And, i am sorry to say, if one has had a look on the inside of the headphone,
the price is just too high, like intel cpu's .
all plastic, small driver etc
you can curse at me now =O i can take it

Just get them fixed and put them back on again, man.

tenor.gif
=)

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #21,298 of 23,501
It is just my opinion.

Very comfortable.

The HD 600/650/6XX need a good amp. If you didn't hear them out of enough quality amp then they sound nice but not amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back