Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #19,967 of 23,456
I got my HD600 recently which was made in Romania.

My question is I am not sure whether it is not fully burn in or what. Classical music or instrumental are fine. The sound is weird for some pop music which like sha-sha sounds, or sound mixed together. To name a few examples:

- Bridge Over Trouble Water - Simon and Garfunkel
- We Are Young - fun. feat. Janelle Monae
- Four Seasons in One Day - Crowded House

They are all in ALAC/ FLAC formats. My set up is HD600 to Chord Electronics Hugo 2 to Bluetooth (haven't got a chance to find USB C to Micro cables). Any suggestions?

Dec 13, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #19,968 of 23,456
I own the HD600 for a while now and use it with a Topping NX4DSD. Happy with it but curious if another amp/dac will improve the sound.
Are there guys overhere who are familiar with the HD600/NX4DSD combi and can recommend an amp/dac that will actually sound better? (under 500 bucks)
I would prefer an amp/dac with bluetooth so i don't have to connect my smartphone anymore with a cable.
you can improve something, the dac in there is quite good already and if you like tonality and s. signature then you're good that way, therefore you will need another amp, consider tubes, they work great with hd600 if you like tubes... as well erzetich bacilus works very well with the hd600, objective 2 is another great amp that was build around the hd600 and there's lot of synergy in between, hope that helps.

Dec 13, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #19,969 of 23,456
I got my HD600 recently which was made in Romania.

My question is I am not sure whether it is not fully burn in or what. Classical music or instrumental are fine. The sound is weird for some pop music which like sha-sha sounds, or sound mixed together. To name a few examples:

- Bridge Over Trouble Water - Simon and Garfunkel
- We Are Young - fun. feat. Janelle Monae
- Four Seasons in One Day - Crowded House

They are all in ALAC/ FLAC formats. My set up is HD600 to Chord Electronics Hugo 2 to Bluetooth (haven't got a chance to find USB C to Micro cables). Any suggestions?
I do believe in Burn in for headphones, so yes this can be you're issue, give them a good 50hrs of burn and then see how it goes....

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #19,970 of 23,456
you can improve something, the dac in there is quite good already and if you like tonality and s. signature then you're good that way, therefore you will need another amp, consider tubes, they work great with hd600 if you like tubes... as well erzetich bacilus works very well with the hd600, objective 2 is another great amp that was build around the hd600 and there's lot of synergy in between, hope that helps.

Generally agree. Don't know those amps. The Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball tubed amp produced bass down to 40 Hz, and a level of detail that my rig - Rag 1 didn't come near to matching (either thing).

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #19,971 of 23,456
I only listen to the HD600 on a vintage Fisher 400 tube receiver. Sound is not good anywhere else.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #19,972 of 23,456

Thanks. I already ordered the Xduoo XD-05+ yesterday.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #19,973 of 23,456
Thanks. I already ordered the Xduoo XD-05+ yesterday.
no way spectacular but a decent combo, let us know how do you feel about it, cheers

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #19,974 of 23,456
Generally agree. Don't know those amps. The Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball tubed amp produced bass down to 40 Hz, and a level of detail that my rig - Rag 1 didn't come near to matching (either thing).
the crack has quite a reputation....

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #19,975 of 23,456
no way spectacular but a decent combo, let us know how do you feel about it, cheers

Well, a couple of hours before i ordered the Duoo yesterday a friend of mine came over with an el-cheapo FX-audio Dac-X6 to try out just for fun.
Mids and highs are much nicer on the Topping NX4DSD, but on the low end, oh my god the Topping got butchered. Way more punch and control with the X6.
So i guessed i need more power than the Topping can deliver and also wanted to stay portable, and then there are not so much options anymore than the Duoo. I condidered the Topping Q5S too but i'll need a balanced cable too then and it would cost me overall much more than the Duoo.
Where i live a 170 bucks price difference at least.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #19,976 of 23,456
Huge 600 fan here. Looking for recommendations for closed backs that have a similar vibe. Specifically, what I'm after is the frequency balance (especially the natural/realistic mids & highs), the clarity, and the instrument separation & space (I realize space can be tough with closed backs). And I wouldn't mind a bit more low end, but certainly not less.

Same approx price range too.

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #19,977 of 23,456
Dear headphone enthusiasts,

This is my first post on this forum. I wouldn't say I'm a very serious audiophile, but ever since my granddad gave me his original pair of HD 600s, I've really begun to care about good sound quality.

Now I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with. First of all, I listen to my music (mostly pop and rock, but also the occasional orchestral soundtrack) on my HD 600 through a Marantz PM 5004 amplifier. It sounds lovely, but I'm wondering whether I'm actually unleashing (most of) the full potential of these headphones. Do you think I need a special headphone amp or is the Marantz adequate enough? My other audio equipment isn't really very high-end...

Secondly, I'd love to get a second HD 600, since my current pair has been used a lot and is showing signs of wear and doesn't include the beautiful case anymore. Now I can get an original, new pair (with the marble design and sturdy case) for 290 euros, but I see there's also an updated version for 2019 (without case apparently) for around the same price. Which one should I get? Has the sound changed?

I hope someone can answer these questions for me, thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Martijn from The Netherlands

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #19,978 of 23,456

This is my first post on this forum. I wouldn't say I'm a very serious audiophile, but ever since my granddad gave me his original pair of HD 600s, I've really begun to care about good sound quality.

Now I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with. First of all, I listen to my music (mostly pop and rock, but also the occasional orchestral soundtrack) on my HD 600 through a Marantz PM 5004 amplifier. It sounds lovely, but I'm wondering whether I'm actually unleashing (most of) the full potential of these headphones. Do you think I need a special headphone amp or is the Marantz adequate enough? My other audio equipment isn't really very high-end...

Secondly, I'd love to get a second HD 600, since my current pair has been used a lot and is showing signs of wear and doesn't include the beautiful case anymore. Now I can get an original, new pair (with the marble design and sturdy case) for 290 euros, but I see there's also an updated version for 2019 (without case apparently) for around the same price. Which one should I get? Has the sound changed?

Kind regards,

Not sure how the signs of wear is, but do you know there are plenty of aftermarket ear pads can be replaced? Also you can look for upgrade cables which can make grand dad HD600 sound differently.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #19,979 of 23,456

Kind regards,

I will try to answer, if you have doubts in regards of the amp you're using most likely you should not the hd600 needs only 20mw to reach 110db SPL, at this stage they are powered properly and quite loud as well. Granted with a different amp they will feel different, color maybe involved, and different presentation of course. Due to the flat nature of this headphone when paired with different amps they can change quite a lot, see tubes just for ex...

The 2019 version will sound just the same, at least in line with the 4th iteration of the driver, first driver of the HD600 sounds slightly different very slightly, and maybe due to usage as well.

I prefer the 2019 version just because looks better in my opinion, the language design is very refreshing, love the color as well. If i had to buy a new one i'm for the 2019 version. I think to get one just because of the new color and design, just love the new one.

Hope that helps :)

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #19,980 of 23,456
Not sure how the signs of wear is, but do you know there are plenty of aftermarket ear pads can be replaced? Also you can look for upgrade cables which can make grand dad HD600 sound differently.
I know, but I'd like a second pair anyway, because the HD 600s are headphones that I will probably be using for a long time to come, I love them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back