Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #19,907 of 23,450
I am also thinking of getting HD 600 or 650. I heared that the 600 bass have more attack but the 650 is more like "boom". I only have Fidelio x2 but the treble on medium volumes is too much for me so i want something more neutral. I am listening all kind of music, everyting from the 80s pop to metal. I hear the 600 is more relaxing and easier to listen to fora longer periods. How does the 600 handle all that?

Also, i am curious since these headphones gets a lot of praise and i want to hear why.

Though I find both to have a forward (row "A") presentation, the 650 is, for me, a bit more relaxed. Whether that is because of a moderate bass warmth, I can't say.

I have owned the HD600 since they first came out many years ago. I have also owned the HD6XX (same as HD650) which I sold because I preferred the HD600.

This old article has some good info on the sound of the HD600 and HD650:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650-page-2

I recently bought the Verum 1 which are discussed in another thread on head-fi.org (and elsewhere online). I suggest you consider the Verum 1 which I find to be just as sensational as the reviewer does in this recent review which you may find helpful (presented by long time CNET reviewer Steve Guttenberg) comparing the Verum 1 and Sennheiser HD6XX:

If the X2 is a bit bright to you the HD600 might not be a good choice since for me the small peak at 4.5khz bothered me at times but its dependent on the individual. Another thing to consider with either the HD600 or HD650 is that their high 300ohm impedance makes them a bit harder to drive than the new HD660S or HD58X so I'd suggest looking at these first

I can also tell you a story about how I've owned the HD 600's and sold them for the HD 650's to satisfy my curiosity, just to turnaround and sell them for another pair of 600's.

Headphones are like mistresses, objects of desire. You get married, divorce your wife for the mistress only to seek another mistress because desire desires desire.

Go to the store or one of your local meetups and compare the units. Trust your senses, get married and stay married or else you'll burn a hole in your pocket.

Man... when I look back at the money that I've spent on this hobby... she got me.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #19,909 of 23,450
I can also tell you a story about how I've owned the HD 600's and sold them for the HD 650's to satisfy my curiosity, just to turnaround and sell them for another pair of 600's.

Headphones are like mistresses, objects of desire. You get married, divorce your wife for the mistress only to seek another mistress because desire desires desire.

Go to the store or one of your local meetups and compare the units. Trust your senses, get married and stay married or else you'll burn a hole in your pocket.

Man... when I look back at the money that I've spent on this hobby... she got me.

You think headphones are bad, try putters....

Oct 11, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #19,910 of 23,450

Headphones are not worth it. Especially if we can get so much with hd600/650.

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #19,911 of 23,450
To share that HD600 love - this is my original 14 years old HD600 in my semi-mobile setup that I use around the house. Ipod touch into DFR into Fiio A5. Pure bliss...

I have almost that exact same setup, but I replaced the Fiio cable with this: https://www.amazon.com/CARDAS-Audio...rds=cardas+cable+6+inch&qid=1570911352&sr=8-3

The Cardas cable for 21 bucks blows away the Fiio cable and will sound significantly more focused and cleaner and more detailed than that Fiio cable. I only keep the Fiio cable around for an emergency backup now.

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #19,912 of 23,450
Still using my 600 at work. Replaced the pads very recently since they were getting worn down fairly well. The cable is a custom cable from an Ebay UK seller for a reasonable sum of money. It sounds definitely smoother than the stock cable and maybe just a tad more soundstage but 100% it's smoother and more relaxed for sure. Just wanted a shorter cable and braided and I got lucky.

Being fed by an LG V40 and Schiit Vali with an AQ Victoria cable with upgraded Carbon DBS 72V battery pack. This setup sounds flat out incredible for the price (I paid on the used market). I'm taking my 600s to the grave with me.

20191012_200435.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #19,913 of 23,450
2FFB7322-02B5-4B37-9C27-3A584FA162A6.jpeg
My old boys have had their tonsils removed (the little foam discs in the earcups behind the drivers), and their ear pads (Dekoni hybrid) and cables (cardas) replaced, but are otherwise all original. Seen here with their long time partner, an original Schiit Lyr (with relay update), currently sporting some very sexy vintage gold pin Siemens 6922/e88cc tubes.

Oct 13, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #19,914 of 23,450
My old boys have had their tonsils removed (the little foam discs in the earcups behind the drivers), and their ear pads (Dekoni hybrid) and cables (cardas) replaced, but are otherwise all original. Seen here with their long time partner, an original Schiit Lyr (with relay update), currently sporting some very sexy vintage gold pin Siemens 6922/e88cc tubes.

What (if any) Sonic changes did you notice with the Dekoni pads?

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #19,915 of 23,450
What (if any) Sonic changes did you notice with the Dekoni pads?

I had originally bought the fenestrated sheepskin because they look and feel totally boss (and they work great on my old 580 precisions), but I found that the 600s sounded way too polite with them and much preferred the sound with the original velour pads. When I told, Tal Kocen (president of the company), I was unhappy and why, he suggested I try the hybrid pads instead, because his feedback was that the hybrid pads are the favorite for the HD-600. I think they have a great synergy - all the dynamic life is back and, to my ear, they now have a more open, resolving sound than with the stock pads. On top of that, I find the Dekoni pads are much more comfortable long term. To me they are a worthwhile way to spend ~$50, even if you don’t need new pads.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #19,917 of 23,450
On top of that, I find the Dekoni pads are much more comfortable long term. To me they are a worthwhile way to spend ~$50, even if you don’t need new pads.

Where did get them for $50? I am seeing they're about $70 - $80.

My old boys have had their tonsils removed (the little foam discs in the earcups behind the drivers)

What sonic changes did you notice with the foams gone?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #19,918 of 23,450
Where did get them for $50? I am seeing they're about $70 - $80.

I checked. They were actually $60. Djdigitalgear.com.

What sonic changes did you notice with the foams gone?

Exactly what you would expect. More open and transparent, less of what some people think of as the Sennheiser veil. I recommend it, but only if your sources are up to the higher level of scrutiny...

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #19,920 of 23,450
There's no way to put those back in after they're removed, is there?

I don’t believe so, but I have never wanted to put them back either. I did it on an old pair of 580s first, and only when I was convinced that the change was all good and I had done no harm did I take the dental instruments to the innards of my 600s.

Just to switch directions for a sec, any of you fellow 600 lovers experimented with the 700s? I know they have a bad rep for sibilants, but I also believe that could be fixed with some tuning/pads/tube rolling/eq to get them near to the 800s. Trying to make a deal for a pair, but with 650s going for $319 delivered on amazon prime, it’s tough to find the 700s cheap enough to make them worthy lab rats.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back