Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #19,681 of 23,456
OK, got my HD-600's lightly modified on a Crack Speedball to match against my Rag (using both SE and XLR).

Crack over Rag:

Viola! there is bass from 20-35Hz inside the 600. Since the Rag is a bass monster, it's got to be the high impedance that cut the Rag's legs out here.

Low mids of all types shine on the Crack/600.

Soundstage width is better with the Crack.

Soundstage depth in the center fill better as well.

Cohesion very good, sometimes sounds like they were made for each other.

Rag over Crack:

Middle of the mids up - more definition, increases as you get into the mid treble and up. Not hugely better, but uniformly better. Notable with overtones.

Bass is tighter (damping better), less colored.

Forget low impedance cans

Advice: If you have a pair of HD-600's and your amp died, etc. then the Crack or perhaps a Schiit hybrid is where to look. The Rag is where to look to drive the HE-6 or other power hungry low impedance cans.
Crack + Speedball is really hard to beat for the HD600/650 for $1000 below.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #19,682 of 23,456
I found a barely used pair for $170. I'm wondering how these compare to BA IEMs. I found past open back dynamics to sound grainy compared to the smooth sound of the Etymotics that I have but perhaps the HD600 have a similar smoothness.

Jun 23, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #19,683 of 23,456
I found a barely used pair for $170. I'm wondering how these compare to BA IEMs. I found past open back dynamics to sound grainy compared to the smooth sound of the Etymotics that I have but perhaps the HD600 have a similar smoothness.
My only complaint on the 600 was in the sub area. Just not enough for me and they didn't handle EQ (sub bass) very well. My 2 cents.

Bern

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #19,684 of 23,456
Whenever I have a period of using headphones I gravitate to HD600. I'm yet to hear a can with more extended bass response that also has its wonderful timbre, and when natural timbre goes I'm not interested, I think the emotional connection to the music just dies without it being satisfyingly believable. I've been around and played live music all my life, from orchestras playing violin to playing guitar in metal bands and I think the HD600 satisfies across the board. The lack of deeper bass doesn't bother me, i personally think it's more important that whatever bass is there has the right texture and timbre, I don't care for slam. With that preference I think it's a satisfying can for hard rock as well, it gets the texture of the real thing right.

I listen via Chord Mojo and Hugo currently and I'm open to upgrade if there's a can that does what the HD600 does but better. Any ideas? Whenever I read about people going back to the HD600 over HD800 (s) due to it being more neutral I read the words they choose to describe the issue and feel it would be quite likely I end up being one of them, so I've held off on trying it until a good used pair shows up nearby. I've tried a few Hifimans but they were not for me.

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #19,687 of 23,456
Tried the 660S....kept my 600/650.
What was your issue with 660S? For me, it lacked dynamics and a bit blunted somewhere in the upper-mids that I didn't care for. For pop it works out well because the peaks are blunted, but other than that it didn't sound all that exciting. Imaging was a bit dull and uninteresting. The upper-mids didn't sound as full at the 300 ohm 6 series. I also think the high impedance at the bass with the 300 ohm versions does help out the bass in some instances with the right amping as well.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #19,688 of 23,456
Whenever I have a period of using headphones I gravitate to HD600. I'm yet to hear a can with more extended bass response that also has its wonderful timbre, and when natural timbre goes I'm not interested, I think the emotional connection to the music just dies without it being satisfyingly believable. I've been around and played live music all my life, from orchestras playing violin to playing guitar in metal bands and I think the HD600 satisfies across the board. The lack of deeper bass doesn't bother me, i personally think it's more important that whatever bass is there has the right texture and timbre, I don't care for slam. With that preference I think it's a satisfying can for hard rock as well, it gets the texture of the real thing right.

I listen via Chord Mojo and Hugo currently and I'm open to upgrade if there's a can that does what the HD600 does but better. Any ideas? Whenever I read about people going back to the HD600 over HD800 (s) due to it being more neutral I read the words they choose to describe the issue and feel it would be quite likely I end up being one of them, so I've held off on trying it until a good used pair shows up nearby. I've tried a few Hifimans but they were not for me.
I haven't heard the 600, but maybe the 650 will be an option? it's said to be more refined than the 600, with that same timbre.

Beyerdynamic DT 150 with DT-100 velour pads is also recommendation. Yes they're closed, but their sound quality is anything but the stereotypical closed sound. They also have that life like timbre, with bigger presence of instruments and vocals than the HD 650.

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #19,690 of 23,456
For me, owning the 650 and 600 for some time, it's "...why do I need yet another variation on the same can when there are so many others to explore?"

I do, however, see the fun some may have collecting all the Senns in this series.

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #19,691 of 23,456
I haven't heard the 600, but maybe the 650 will be an option? it's said to be more refined than the 600, with that same timbre.

Beyerdynamic DT 150 with DT-100 velour pads is also recommendation. Yes they're closed, but their sound quality is anything but the stereotypical closed sound. They also have that life like timbre, with bigger presence of instruments and vocals than the HD 650.
I don't consider the HD650 to be a refined HD600. They sounded different enough to me that I picked the HD600 over the HD650. I think it has to do with how the bass frequencies are presented. The HD650 has more presence and extension there and while that technically is what I felt missing in the HD600, the way it's done on the HD650 made it sound kind of off to me in comparison. That difference sharpened the upper registers too so I actually got a little more v-shape that I was expecting. Still sounds great, but wasn't what I was looking for with the open Senns.

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #19,692 of 23,456

Not so, the 650 to me is warm and blunted. It doesn't do piano as well as the 600 or have the correct timbre.

Beyer? Have yet to hear one that doesn't kill me with the over defined and sharp treble.

You seem to have already made up your mind....

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #19,693 of 23,456
What was your issue with 660S? For me, it lacked dynamics and a bit blunted somewhere in the upper-mids that I didn't care for. For pop it works out well because the peaks are blunted, but other than that it didn't sound all that exciting. Imaging was a bit dull and uninteresting. The upper-mids didn't sound as full at the 300 ohm 6 series. I also think the high impedance at the bass with the 300 ohm versions does help out the bass in some instances with the right amping as well.
1. The tonality wasnt as smooth as both the 600/650.
2. Couldnt justify the premium over 600/650

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #19,695 of 23,456
I don't consider the HD650 to be a refined HD600. They sounded different enough to me that I picked the HD600 over the HD650. I think it has to do with how the bass frequencies are presented. The HD650 has more presence and extension there and while that technically is what I felt missing in the HD600, the way it's done on the HD650 made it sound kind of off to me in comparison. That difference sharpened the upper registers too so I actually got a little more v-shape that I was expecting. Still sounds great, but wasn't what I was looking for with the open Senns.
Interesting. Do you mean by upper-registers, the upper treble, or upper-mids? Because people generally find the HD 600 to have more upper-mids presence. Yet I still find the 650 a bit too emphasized in the upper-mids, and a bit subdued in the upper treble

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back