Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #19,666 of 23,456
Still gotta tube 'em up imho!

Agree - I was ready to sell mine until I heard them with the Fisher 400 Receiver. Tubes make a huge difference!

Apr 18, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #19,668 of 23,456
In regards to the sub bass of the hd 600, the closest I came to “fixing it” (that is if one considers it broken to begin with) was pairing it with a balanced cavalli liquid carbon x. The bass did come up quite a bit to the point that it felt a little more thumping. But I ended up returning the amp because it isn’t clean enough and makes lots of noise when turning the volume nob.
...or you can buy the 58x :D

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #19,669 of 23,456
always gotta tube 'em up imho!
@Mshenay! :grinning:

I hear thus a lot. I admit I haven't had the pleasure.

What I do know is prior to releasing their own amps Sennheiser themselves used Graham Slee (Solo Ultra Linear Diamond Edition, also used by Grado labs) and I believe Lehmann amps to Demo their headphones. All of these are solid state amplifiers

I can only imagine how good a HD600 sounds with the ULDE as they sound superb with my Solo. So open, spacious, detailed and tonally spot on. IMHO

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #19,670 of 23,456
I love my HD600s and am currently content with the Valhalla 2 powering them. Eventually I want to jump up to something higher up the food chain, but there are a handful of other upgrades in front of that on the list of stuff I have.

My favorite experience with the HD600s though was shortly after I got them, the Valhalla 2, and a Pro-Ject DS2 Tube Box. My dad is big into music, and he has more expendable income so he has a significantly better system than I do. Still, I brought these three pieces down for a demonstration. He has a Clear Audio Concept TT, so I wanted to try the Pro-Ject with a MC cart, and the Project has selectable outputs, so one could go to his Marantz receiver and one could go to the Valhalla.

We hooked everything up and listened to a good album (Bill Evans Sunday at the Village Vanguard). We listened through the speakers, through my headphones powered by the Marantz and by the Valhalla. Be both agreed that the HD600s were clearer than his speakers.

About two months later he bought new speakers that were a big step up, and I got two as hand-me-downs. They were better than what I was using for speakers, so that was nice.

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #19,671 of 23,456
We hooked everything up and listened to a good album (Bill Evans Sunday at the Village Vanguard). We listened through the speakers, through my headphones powered by the Marantz and by the Valhalla. Be both agreed that the HD600s were clearer than his speakers.

Was this vintage Marantz or new? Did you prefer the Marantz or the Valhalla? I am guessing they would sound good via vintage Marantz as they are very tube like sounding. I have a new Marantz AVR 7010 which does nothing for the 600s. Still thin sounding. By the way, good choice of music!

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #19,672 of 23,456
Was this vintage Marantz or new? Did you prefer the Marantz or the Valhalla? I am guessing they would sound good via vintage Marantz as they are very tube like sounding. I have a new Marantz AVR 7010 which does nothing for the 600s. Still thin sounding. By the way, good choice of music!

It is a new Marantz, an SR6009 to be specific. About a year ago my dad upgraded that too, so I got that hand-me-down. When at home, I admit I prefer the Valhalla for music, but that is mainly because of the different systems. The Valhalla is in the stereo system in my bedroom, which has a better turntable, more source options, and is generally where I do my music listening. The Marantz is in the living room in the home theater system. It is good, but I do not use it much for music. When I use the HD600s there, it is generally because I do not want to disturb my housemate who works nights and sleeps days. However, given the distance from the couch to the receiver, I need to use an extension for the headphones, and that cord has recently become a bit noisy. I may try sitting closer and listening without the extension cable at some point just to get a good perspective again.

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #19,673 of 23,456
Certainly possible to voice transistor amps to sound more like tubes, but the Marantz AVRs definitely don't fit that bill. Without the Fisher 400 tube receiver I got recently, the HD600s would have been sold.

Apr 18, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #19,674 of 23,456
I love my HD600s and am currently content with the Valhalla 2 powering them. Eventually I want to jump up to something higher up the food chain, but there are a handful of other upgrades in front of that on the list of stuff I have.

My favorite experience with the HD600s though was shortly after I got them, the Valhalla 2, and a Pro-Ject DS2 Tube Box. My dad is big into music, and he has more expendable income so he has a significantly better system than I do. Still, I brought these three pieces down for a demonstration. He has a Clear Audio Concept TT, so I wanted to try the Pro-Ject with a MC cart, and the Project has selectable outputs, so one could go to his Marantz receiver and one could go to the Valhalla.

About two months later he bought new speakers that were a big step up, and I got two as hand-me-downs. They were better than what I was using for speakers, so that was nice.

I agree , I quite enjoy my pairing of the Val 2 and the HD 600 as well

Apr 18, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #19,675 of 23,456
I hear thus a lot. I admit I haven't had the pleasure.

What I do know is prior to releasing their own amps Sennheiser themselves used Graham Slee (Solo Ultra Linear Diamond Edition, also used by Grado labs) and I believe Lehmann amps to Demo their headphones. All of these are solid state amplifiers

I can only imagine how good a HD600 sounds with the ULDE as they sound superb with my Solo. So open, spacious, detailed and tonally spot on. IMHO
I have the Novo and agree with you on the voicing done by Graham Slee, highly underrated amps! Probably due them being highly understated and not as much marketing exposure! I would love to own the ULDE as well, I'm still eye-ing off the PSU1 for me Novo but still haven't found one for a decent price!

If you want somewhere to start out, a cheap DarkVoice or perhaps the Valhalla from Schiit would be great! There is something sweet and spacious about the 6AS7g/6ns7 tubes with a big ass transformer that pushes the 600/650 to a whole other level! Some solid-states can make the 600/650 sound very flat, I find the DV brings out the very best of the Sennies to a point where I simply don't think of the headphone and just listen to the music! I will say, the Mjolnir (Gen 1) is probably close to being perfect for power and authority yet, another is the Jotunheim and Burson Soloist! I have the (SL) Soloist and that amp can kinda balance out the 600/650's a bit, good bass and pushes the upper treble to sparkle a bit! Has great timing and rhythm too! - similar to the Graham Slee! Vali 2 gets a mention, very sweet little amp. Asgard is nice but can be a bit too smooth?! works great for chill genre of music, good detail and smooth mids! (Personally love the Asgard!). The 600/650's get most use out of the Home theater, straight of my Yamaha receiver, the 600/650's sound fantastic (probably due to the High impedance?!)

I have a HD600 for the 2005 but the build quality is solid, my 650 is much newer (2017) feels solid but...IDK...the plastics feel different? The Older one definitely feels much nicer where the newer one feels perhaps a little cheap?!

Apr 23, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #19,676 of 23,456
Nat King Cole's Autumn Leaves sounds amazing with HD600. Before, I doubt HD600 performance when I compared it with my Fidelio X1. But after listening to X1 for several days, listening back to HD600 is so right, with sweetness in my ear. I think there is a candy inside this HD600. If you like something sound that is sweet, then HD600 can be a candidate. I remembered a member describing HD600 in picture. He showed a flowing honey. I cannot say the same word with Philips Fidelio X1. Yes, every headphone or speaker has it own signature. You choose. You will love the sound signature of HD600. Thanks Sennhesier!

May 1, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #19,677 of 23,456
anyone tried FAW Claire HPC Mk2 with 600?Do you feel any positive impact on sound signature like improvement in Bass and treble?

May 1, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #19,678 of 23,456
I see lot of posts where there is compliant of grainy treble and sibilance. I would suggest Dekoni Hybrid pads + Schiit Lyr 3. This helps HD600 a lot and take them to a new level. Schiit Lyr 3 has very smooth treble which helps 600 and Dekoni pads boost Bass ever so slightly along with good impact in treble as well. Please do note Valhalla2 has grainy treble and that may be the reason behind these obsevations.

May 11, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #19,679 of 23,456
Nat King Cole's Autumn Leaves sounds amazing with HD600. Before, I doubt HD600 performance when I compared it with my Fidelio X1. But after listening to X1 for several days, listening back to HD600 is so right, with sweetness in my ear. I think there is a candy inside this HD600. If you like something sound that is sweet, then HD600 can be a candidate. I remembered a member describing HD600 in picture. He showed a flowing honey. I cannot say the same word with Philips Fidelio X1. Yes, every headphone or speaker has it own signature. You choose. You will love the sound signature of HD600. Thanks Sennhesier!

thanks for the recommendation. quite like nat king cole

May 12, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #19,680 of 23,456
OK, got my HD-600's lightly modified on a Crack Speedball to match against my Rag (using both SE and XLR).

Crack over Rag:

Viola! there is bass from 20-35Hz inside the 600. Since the Rag is a bass monster, it's got to be the high impedance that cut the Rag's legs out here.

Low mids of all types shine on the Crack/600.

Soundstage width is better with the Crack.

Soundstage depth in the center fill better as well.

Cohesion very good, sometimes sounds like they were made for each other.

Rag over Crack:

Middle of the mids up - more definition, increases as you get into the mid treble and up. Not hugely better, but uniformly better. Notable with overtones.

Bass is tighter (damping better), less colored.

Forget low impedance cans

Advice: If you have a pair of HD-600's and your amp died, etc. then the Crack or perhaps a Schiit hybrid is where to look. The Rag is where to look to drive the HE-6 or other power hungry low impedance cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back