Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #19,532 of 23,458
I just got a good deal about 2 weeks ago where I bought a Sennheiser hd600 open box unit for $217 shipped. Amazing deal. Pair it with a good $300 amp and you’re an official audiophile! Woo hoo!

I came here to post this sentiment. I just bought a used Elex, and honestly I can't say for certain that's it's even ~$400 dollars better than the hd600. I felt the same about a used AFO I got a great deal on. The Elex is definitely an improvement in techincal areas like bass extension and vocal presence, but sometimes the extra air above the vocal range turns into weird sibilance, thankfully it's the exception, but it's also another reason not to sell my hd600. The Hd600 still does the sparkly treble better which I'm realizing is kind of addicting when you start missing it.

If you follow that advice, you and your wallet will be happier in the end :).

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #19,533 of 23,458
I heard good things about the Elex. The Clear was selling for USD800 new, making it a really good deal. For me, I would buy the Clear at that price.

The AFO is more comparable to the HD650. Not the better version though, just the planar version of HD650.

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #19,534 of 23,458
I saw that deal, I should've bought the Clear. I thought I would appreciate the Elex headphone for having neutral characteristics but now that I'm hearing the Focal sound I'm just thinking "..a little more bass and sparkle would make an even better Elex", thus the reason the Clear exist lol. I'll probably get a Clear one of these days.

The AFO was too dark for me, felt like there was a substantially sized hole after the mids to prevent sibilance, also wasn't a big fan of the hd6XX so that makes sense, though I do enjoy the hd600.

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #19,535 of 23,458
I saw that deal, I should've bought the Clear. I thought I would appreciate the Elex headphone for having neutral characteristics but now that I'm hearing the Focal sound I'm just thinking "..a little more bass and sparkle would make an even better Elex", thus the reason the Clear exist lol. I'll probably get a Clear one of these days.

The AFO was too dark for me, felt like there was a substantially sized hole after the mids to prevent sibilance, also wasn't a big fan of the hd6XX so that makes sense, though I do enjoy the hd600.
I'm in love with the HD600/800. This is after trying a lot of TOTL. Those 2 prevents me from blowing holes in my wallet.

Congrats on getting a good deal on Elex.

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #19,536 of 23,458
I'm in love with the HD600/800. This is after trying a lot of TOTL. Those 2 prevents me from blowing holes in my wallet.

Congrats on getting a good deal on Elex.

Thanks :D,I keep seeing that people with the hd600 often have an hd800.

As a fellow hd600 owner, what do you appreciate most about your hd800? Is it as bright as people say? Is the bass punchy? I endured through the hd700 for awhile so I think I could handle the hd800 treble..

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #19,537 of 23,458
Thanks :D,I keep seeing that people with the hd600 often have an hd800.

As a fellow hd600 owner, what do you appreciate most about your hd800? Is it as bright as people say? Is the bass punchy? I endured through the hd700 for awhile so I think I could handle the hd800 treble..
To me, HD800 is like the true-super HD600. It is probably one of the most technical headphone I've tried. But it requires a lot of fixes, tonality wise. In stock form, tonality is thin and not musical. Bass is really lacking in quantity. Treble can be hot.

But invest in a good chain, EQ (preferably analog), SDR mod and it shows its true color. Everytime I try newer expensive TOTLs and then going back to my HD800, I feel they can't beat the HD800. The most they can do is giving a different presentation or flavour. But usually they fall short of its technicalities.

Bass is very very punchy and layered (this is a clear upgrade from the HD600). Treble is probably the best (or one of the best) out there. Soundstage size is also a clear upgrade. Once you fix its tonality, it is really hard to beat it, in my opinion. The only way you can go is to look for a different presentation; that's all.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #19,540 of 23,458
I like my 600 more than my 650 but when I want more bass, I used my Fidelio X1. Very nice sounding headphone too.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #19,541 of 23,458
Most Sennheiser's is tuned according to classical. So more bass is improper.
I wouldn't say most Sennheisers. In fact, more Sennheisers are tuned NOT for classical. HD800 and HD600 sure, maybe an argument for HD700 as well, but no way I'd call the HD650 tuned for classical. And then outside of that, basically the entire HD5XX lineup is tuned with more warmth and a bit less of the upper registers.

Sennheiser should work on 600 with more bass. More bass with really hit it for me with these because I really like the mids to upper registers with these.
I would like the same thing, but honestly, I'm not sure yet that it would work. The HD58X is actually sort of that class, where it starts like an HD600, but they've added more bass/warmth. It's altered the response of the mids and highs slightly, but I don't know if that's really just due to the bump in bass and nothing else or if they did a bit of changing to the mids and highs. It really could go either way because once you change a single frequency, even if you don't touch the others, they can still sound different because that can change your perception of other frequencies. Kinda like harmonics, you can't change one thing and have it not affect something else even if numerically, there was no change elsewhere. I'm really bad at explaining this :p

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #19,543 of 23,458
Sennheiser should work on 600 with more bass. More bass with really hit it for me with these because I really like the mids to upper registers with these.
I chased that for years and years but I dont think it works like that, if you add more bass to 600s it takes away from mids that are the reason I love my 600s. Just accept that and use other headphones when you want deeper bass.

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #19,544 of 23,458
I never had good luck with EQ. I don't notice much of a difference besides the sounding like the drivers are getting a gimped signal.

Besides, the distortion is in the bass for the Sennheisers.

I want at planar bass, and Focal can pull off more bass, why not Sennheiser? I'll take it as the limitation of the driver.

I want moor bass for 600 and 800. 00 stands for lacking bass. :confused:

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #19,545 of 23,458
Most Sennheiser's is tuned according to classical. So more bass is improper.

The problem with the HD600 is that the sub-bass response drops off quickly. Classical music can go as low as 16 Hz, which means that those of us who listen to classical music are missing the full impact of acoustic piano and full orchestral scores. So "tuned according to classical" is absurd. If a headphone is "tuned according to" any kind of music, you should still have full frequency response through the audible spectrum and NOT puffed up bass.

That said, I really like my HD600's, second only to my Focal Clear set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back