Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #18,770 of 23,456
Hello! I recently bought Monk Plus, and I already have HD 600s. To my surprise (and to my sadness), the Monk Plus sounds very similar to HD 600s and feel slightly more engaging. This makes me feel quite sad. I can notice that HD 600s are cleaner, but for $5 vs $286, I expected more. I must mention that I am running the HD 600s straight from my Macbook Pro. I had a Magni 3 before, but I didn't like the sound. Anything else I can try to make peace with my HD 600s, make the sound more engaging?

I think your up-stream devices are limiting the performance of 600. One great feature of the 600 is that it scales very well. I would recommend using an OTL tube amp and a good DAC to really bring out the full potential of the 600. Running mine on WA2 or Audiovalve RKV is absolutely sublime. But if you're not quite ready to dish out that kind of dough, Dark Voice/Little Dot/Bottlehead can all provide great value.

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #18,771 of 23,456
Ok. Thanks for pointing out. So they may advertise their product?
Maybe? Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised. But we can say at the very least that he does know what he's talking about; he's really good at the engineering side of things. That said, considering what he's built, I'd very carefully tread around what he presents. He deals only with the facts and mathematical numbers; very thorough in that aspect and expected of an engineer, but frankly, also not conducive to the audio hobby. People of that mindset find that there is only a single way to treat the "data" (audio stream or otherwise) and that's to have everything as pixel-perfect as possible. And while that's not a bad thing, he specifically has been known to not be quite so understanding of anything other than that view. I think he's been banned from some audio forums before for his thoughts; pretty much the reason he's got his own blog and doesn't really show up anywhere else. Still very useful information, but keep in mind that it's with the narrow focus of absolute flat production. And sometimes, absolute flat production isn't what I'm looking for.

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #18,772 of 23,456
Maybe? Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised. But we can say at the very least that he does know what he's talking about; he's really good at the engineering side of things. That said, considering what he's built, I'd very carefully tread around what he presents. He deals only with the facts and mathematical numbers; very thorough in that aspect and expected of an engineer, but frankly, also not conducive to the audio hobby. People of that mindset find that there is only a single way to treat the "data" (audio stream or otherwise) and that's to have everything as pixel-perfect as possible. And while that's not a bad thing, he specifically has been known to not be quite so understanding of anything other than that view. I think he's been banned from some audio forums before for his thoughts; pretty much the reason he's got his own blog and doesn't really show up anywhere else. Still very useful information, but keep in mind that it's with the narrow focus of absolute flat production. And sometimes, absolute flat production isn't what I'm looking for.

Thanks for sharing. At least we know some scientific truth. I'm superstitious on amplifiers until recently I found what I hear from Walnut V2s basically no any different from Jitterbug->iSilencer3.0->Zdac v2->HT2 (an OTL amplifier from Taobao) for HD600! And the soundstage directly from Zdac is even smaller than V2s. Too much snake oil on hifi industry!

Dec 20, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #18,775 of 23,456
Guys.......I think Sennheiser and Massdrop are basically releasing $150 HD600.....I just saw an email today about the HD58X Jubilee dropping on Friday

Not sure about that. It has a variant of the 150ohm driver. Don't know what connection it has with the HD580 jubilee which was the prototype HD600. This new bit of marketing should be called the HD66X.

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #18,776 of 23,456
Not sure about that. It has a variant of the 150ohm driver. Don't know what connection it has with the HD580 jubilee which was the prototype HD600. This new bit of marketing should be called the HD66X.
Good point, didn't really look at the specs yet. Actually took a moment now to read through some of it and it looks like this is supposed to be a mix of the HD600/650/660S. Dunno how that will actually translate into the real world, but I do know one thing: they'll be pretty comfy. That headband design is unmistakably that of the HD580/600 as indicated by the headband padding. I prefer it to that of the HD650/660, though both lineups are very comfortable anyway.

Dec 23, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #18,777 of 23,456
25594085_2094907970738817_2121278742526812597_n.jpg

After getting my DT880 and K7XX, I have decided to complete my collection of the classic trio of 2000s with HD 600.
Now that I'm in the UK and bought the 600s here, I can't compare three of them. I can't wait to get home!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #18,779 of 23,456
HD600 should be everyone's first audiophile headphone. Mine was q701 which was interesting but not quite as perfectly suited to the journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back