Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #18,484 of 23,456
Reading all these glowing comments about the HD600 makes me wish I wasn't sensitive to the 4-5khz peak which irritated me at times :tired_face:

As someone who is pretty treble sensitive as well... just do like me - reserve HD600 for high-fidelity, well mastered recordings - acoustic, jazz, vocal, classical. It would be well worth it. Use other headphones for anything of lesser quality where the peak might pose a problem.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #18,486 of 23,456
oh just EQ it out
Unfortunately I can't use EQ due to my setup: one source feeding 2-3 DACs going to 3-4 amps.

As someone who is pretty treble sensitive as well... just do like me - reserve HD600 for high-fidelity, well mastered recordings - acoustic, jazz, vocal, classical. It would be well worth it. Use other headphones for anything of lesser quality where the peak might pose a problem.
Great suggestion and I did this for a while but since I don't seem to be sensitive to peaks higher up in the frequency, 6khz+, I just started to use my HD700/800/T1g1 and other headphones that have treble peaks higher than the 4-5 kHz. A friend also offered to buy my HD600 for what I paid so I sold it to her thinking I could always get another later, but I stumbled upon the alternative driver thread for Grado like builds and haven't looked back. The main reason is not needing any amp for any of the alternative drivers from Nhoord, Elleven Acoustica and Symphones.

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #18,488 of 23,456
How do you split your source? I use optical ran through an ultra curve-pro, I also use multiple sources and amps. All can be tweaked(I don't love EQ but some headphones need a bit to shine).
I use this: https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-TOSLI...d=1502658249&sr=8-9&keywords=toslink+splitter
2 of these in reverse (2 in, 1 out): http://www.schiit.com/products/sys
4 pairs of RCA splitters: 1 pair on output of UD-301, 1 pair on output of Bimby, 1 pair on output of each SYS
Listening Table May 2017-1.jpg
Only have one of the "SYS" in use at this time. Bimby is under the HT receiver and Toslink splitter is mounted under the table

Hope this makes sense

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #18,489 of 23,456
Yeah, that is similar to the was I run mine as well. You should pick up an Ultra curve to play with, run optical in, then out (split after the out). 31 band graphic and a parametric EQ,lots of buttons to press, it is kinda fun!

Aug 13, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #18,490 of 23,456
While I would love to play with EQ and the Ultra Curve looks really cool, I'm happy with what I have. I like all the headphones that I currently have for their own unique sound signatures and to the different presentations they give to the various genres of music that I listen to. These days for me to add a new headphone it has to be decent sounding and provide a unique sound signature that is different from anything that I currently have.

While I would love to still have the HD600 if the peak didn't bother me since I consider it a great measuring stick to compare other headphones, but I think the Ypsilon so far has been a great substitute which doesn't require an amp to sound amazing.

Aug 13, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #18,491 of 23,456
Like I said earlier, I don't tweak too much, I am very happy with extensively reasearched current gear , it's there for some troublesome peaks and valleys that are not correctable with amp coloration/tube rolling.

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #18,493 of 23,456
I had HD600 for two years, bought it without listening after reading all the nice reviews. But almost never listened to them, instead preferred cheap Koss HPs. Only lately after testing some other HPs found out why: they lack dynamics. They are quite neutral and nothing to me really bothers with the sound, but they just were dull for me so sold them.

Now looking for neutral HPs with a bit more lively and dynamic sound.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #18,494 of 23,456

So you aren't actually looking for neutral - you're looking for V shaped (enhanced bass and upper mid-range or lower treble). Perhaps look into the Beyer DT990 for an open headphone with V shape. Might be more to your taste.

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #18,495 of 23,456
I had HD600 for two years, bought it without listening after reading all the nice reviews. But almost never listened to them, instead preferred cheap Koss HPs. Only lately after testing some other HPs found out why: they lack dynamics. They are quite neutral and nothing to me really bothers with the sound, but they just were dull for me so sold them.

The HD600 is considered a neutral headphone so if you want more "lively and dynamic" you are looking for non-neutral headphone. The DT990 that @Brooko suggested is good and I would add any Grado might also be what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back