Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #18,271 of 23,459
I am not joking. One of them might had been modded or something, I do not know at all, but the two I tested were really different, HD650 was significantly thicker and smoother, and I mean considerably. Who knows why... Either way, I love HD600 for their signature and would get one for sure, but I didn't find HD650 to be what I was looking for at least by their default signature, but I can see a lot of people appreciating both!
probably quality control

May 27, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #18,272 of 23,459
probably quality control
The QC from Sennheiser is really good compared to other companies, the more probable reason for the big difference is that either the HD650 or HD600 was modded, my bet would be on the HD650 being modded

May 27, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #18,273 of 23,459
The QC from Sennheiser is really good compared to other companies, the more probable reason for the big difference is that either the HD650 or HD600 was modded, my bet would be on the HD650 being modded
idk mate u have to consider that they are mass produced. like I've tried a couple pairs of grados that were same model but sounded different

May 27, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #18,274 of 23,459

The HD650 was also heavily used while HD600 was brand new, this might have also changed the sound in some way, especially because the pads on HD650 were feeling different.

But I second the statement about QC, Senn puts a lot of effort in their QC, had a lot of their products in the past (HD380Pro, ie8, HD1, ie800), they have extreme QC no matter how you look at it.

May 27, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #18,275 of 23,459
idk mate u have to consider that they are mass produced. like I've tried a couple pairs of grados that were same model but sounded different
Grado's are mostly made by hand so I would expect more variance in them, more so for the SR series while the higher up RS, GS and PS series are more consistent from one to another. FWIW I've heard 4 different RS2e models and couldn't tell the difference but the 2 SR-60e and SR225e that I heard at the same time there was a difference from one to the other, not a big difference but I did notice it. Of all the HD600/650 that I've heard they are quite consistent, even year to year and most of the differences if I heard any was more likely due to the ear pads being either old or new.

May 27, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #18,276 of 23,459
I am not joking. One of them might had been modded or something, I do not know at all, but the two I tested were really different, HD650 was significantly thicker and smoother, and I mean considerably. Who knows why... Either way, I love HD600 for their signature and would get one for sure, but I didn't find HD650 to be what I was looking for at least by their default signature, but I can see a lot of people appreciating both!

I had 650. I just felt it sounds quite similar to 600. But I like 600 more, at least for orchestra/symphony. So I returned 650

May 28, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #18,277 of 23,459
True.... and you think the hd650 may be for me? Or they are more similar than different? At least i am hopping for them to avoid this peak that messes with my hearing....
Would you say that the additional treble and bass that you perceive on the hd650 is enough to make genres like prog, trance and rock/metal more enjoyable and fun then on the hd600's?

Others who tested both (the newer silver driver versions) please feel free to replay as well. All feedback is more than welcome. :)

Cheers....
Short answer: yes, the HD650 would be the more fun headphone for electronic music. Dunno about rock/metal, don't listen to those genres often, definitely not when I tried the HD650. I don't think it has the same peak as the HD600s, though I wouldn't be able to tell you since I don't have that sensitivity, so even if both headphones have it, I wouldn't know.

Used to have the HD600 and HD598 along with a HD650, sold the HD600 due to the treble peak at 4-5khz which bothered me at times with some tracks, and gave the HD598 to an old girlfriend who love it out of her MBP since I didn't care for the sound which was a little thin and dry even with a warm tube amp. Also auditioned a HD598C and didn't care for the closed in sound, far worst than the M50x and Momentum over-ear to me. TBH the HD5XX series is below the sound quality of most of my current headphones so I haven't looked at any, if you look in my profile you can see the headphones that I currently own.

My post was actually directed to @Pedro Oliveira since he is having some of the same issues I had with the HD600 so I was curious to see what other headphones he was thinking of to replace the HD600 with.
When the HD600 doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you. Nothing wrong with your hearing, just happened to be sensitive right where the HD600 can kick ya. Luckily, it's not the only fantastically enjoyable headphone in the world :D. Never tried any of the HD598s, but to me, the HD558 was like a low-rent HD600 minus the peaks; smoother and obviously not as refined, but kind of a similar style. A bit of a blurry mashup of the HD600 and HD650 at a lower price. Clearly wouldn't need to try an HD598C based on how you compared it to the M50x and the Momentum. I wasn't a huge fan of the M50x, but the Momentum was pretty good. And it captures popular styling much better than the classic but less visually modern/popular style of the HD6xx series.

May 28, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #18,278 of 23,459
I think the HD600 is more aggressive sounding than the M50x, but I've changed the pads to Shure velour so it may be why. I also consider the HD650 to be a reference headphone, they have been around for a very long time, not as long as the HD600 but longer than most. The human hearing is a wonderful thing but its also true that we all hear differently so I wouldn't consider your issues with the HD600 to be a big problem since there are so many other headphones out there that for you might sound a lot better and like you I don't have any retail stores where I can audition gear but I've been lucky to have some friends who are in to audio (mostly speakers) and have met a few Head-Fi members locally and got to audition some of their gear.

I agree with you about trying another HD600 would be a waste of time and money, are there other headphone besides the HD650 that you have considered as a replacement for the HD600?

I am really tempted on trying the hd650 i have to be honest despite knowing that being a hd25 lover the bass response of the hd6** line will not always completely sufice me. But i like the hd600 overall sound despite not being as engaging as a hd25 (it has much more resolution and is technically better of course, i am talking about signature of course) and if the hd650 is a slightly bassier hd600 i think i can very much like them.

Usually i try to make my headphones purchases with basis on budget/good prices/reliability/resell value. Sennheiser is a brand i trust despite not always being a fot for my tastes and in case i have any problem i know i can rely on the to solve this problem quickly.
Not saying that a Fidelio or Hifiman is less reliable or that it is woth less money than a sennheiser hd6**/7**/8** but in case i happen to repent myseld the truth is that it is much easier to sell a sennheiser hd600/650 and get most part of your investment back. Headphones are a very niche hobby and here in Portugal even more. Unless you are reeeeeeally rich, you have to be very patient to get good deals and not loose money with headphones around here.

I would not go back to the hd5*8's.... had the hd598 and it was too polite and boring for me. the hd518 and 558 i liked for the meatier bass but also they did not have the quality of highs and mids of the hd598 so there would always be compromises.....

May 28, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #18,279 of 23,459
I am really tempted on trying the hd650 i have to be honest despite knowing that being a hd25 lover the bass response of the hd6** line will not always completely sufice me. But i like the hd600 overall sound despite not being as engaging as a hd25 (it has much more resolution and is technically better of course, i am talking about signature of course) and if the hd650 is a slightly bassier hd600 i think i can very much like them.

Usually i try to make my headphones purchases with basis on budget/good prices/reliability/resell value. Sennheiser is a brand i trust despite not always being a fot for my tastes and in case i have any problem i know i can rely on the to solve this problem quickly.
Not saying that a Fidelio or Hifiman is less reliable or that it is woth less money than a sennheiser hd6**/7**/8** but in case i happen to repent myseld the truth is that it is much easier to sell a sennheiser hd600/650 and get most part of your investment back. Headphones are a very niche hobby and here in Portugal even more. Unless you are reeeeeeally rich, you have to be very patient to get good deals and not loose money with headphones around here.

I would not go back to the hd5*8's.... had the hd598 and it was too polite and boring for me. the hd518 and 558 i liked for the meatier bass but also they did not have the quality of highs and mids of the hd598 so there would always be compromises.....

I've never really considered headphone purchases with the thinking that I would be re-selling them but do consider the quality of the build (why I haven't gotten the M1060 yet) since living on an island in the middle of the Pacific its hard to ship thing to anywhere to get them fixed.

You might want to start posting in the HD650 thread as there are mods that can be done to them to make the bass better detailed and highs cleaner. I've only heard one modded HD650 and while impressive I still haven't modded mine since some of the mods are non-reversible. If they do bring back the HD6XX from Massdrop or I can find a good deal on a used HD650 I will definitely do the mods. After having the HD598 for a year and not liking it much I haven't even looked at the other HD-5XX series and now having built headphones using the Ypsilon S2 & R1 and Nhoord Red V2 drivers I would never replace the HD600 that I sold thinking I would get another if I found a good deal on one but I will get a HD650/6XX only so that I can mod it.

May 28, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #18,281 of 23,459
Maybe it's just me but I don't find a big difference in the amount of bass between the HD600 and HD25. The 600 is not bass light nor the HD25 a bassy headphone at least through my trusty old Graham Slee Voyager. Both are present and absolutely correct. Totally natural sound; the 600 obviously more refined and open but cut from the same cloth. The HD25-II has a little bit more impact maybe the HD650 matches it? Don't know? Never tried it.

Edit. sorry don't know how to quote anymore on new system. Responding to Pedro post 18279. Maybe you should try a different amp with your HD600?

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #18,282 of 23,459
Maybe it's just me but I don't find a big difference in the amount of bass between the HD600 and HD25. The 600 is not bass light nor the HD25 a bassy headphone at least through my trusty old Graham Slee Voyager. Both are present and absolutely correct. Totally natural sound; the 600 obviously more refined and open but cut from the same cloth. The HD25-II has a little bit more impact maybe the HD650 matches it? Don't know? Never tried it.

Edit. sorry don't know how to quote anymore on new system. Responding to Pedro post 18279. Maybe you should try a different amp with your HD600?

To quote a single person click on the "Reply" text in the lower right hand corner of the post you want to quote. If you want to quote another then click on the "+Quote" in the lower right hand of the post you want to quote.

I don't think trying another amp will work for @Pedro Oliveira, I tried my HD600 on quite a few different amps and even with a tube amp and warm tubes the 4-5khz peak bother me at times, but you never know for sure unless you try.

May 31, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #18,283 of 23,459

Pffft, HD6x0 will never be an HD25, bass-wise.

HD25 bass bleeds into the midrange a bit for most of us HD25 users. HD650 never comes close to that much bass, and less so with HD600.

May 31, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #18,284 of 23,459
Pffft, HD6x0 will never be an HD25, bass-wise.

HD25 bass bleeds into the midrange a bit for most of us HD25 users. HD650 never comes close to that much bass, and less so with HD600.
How does bass bleed into the midrange? The frequencies are different and I doubt that the pitch of the music changes. If the mids are elevated for these cans, then a better phrase should be used to describe the phenomena or FR.

May 31, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #18,285 of 23,459
I have been using my HD600 for a few months out of a Lyr with stock tubes and all I can say is absolutely love it. They are laid back in tonality, yet their detail is astonishing. It's literally euphoric to listen to them. I'm addicted :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back