Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #17,943 of 23,499
old models are old. and age is kind to nobody. everything else as far as I know are conjectures and wild guesses that Senn(to the best of my knowledge) never even bothered to agree or disagree with. so it must be very important
wink_face.gif

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #17,944 of 23,499
  Anyway, has the HD600 changed over the years? Is there a place where I can read up the revision history?

(This is related to the question on whether a 2008 version of the HD600 exists or not)

​http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650#hDd2YEkLGiqm7GYF.97 where there is a short discussion on the changes to the HD600 and HD650

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #17,945 of 23,499
2007 is the year they changed to the silver material I think and the reason for it was the paper material was inconsistent making variations in manufacturing more common. Since then though I think there have been a few silent improvements as well maybe just changing the thickness of the front and rear foam etc... just my guess on that one though.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #17,946 of 23,499
  old models are old. and age is kind to nobody. everything else as far as I know are conjectures and wild guesses that Senn(to the best of my knowledge) never even bothered to agree or disagree with. so it must be very important
wink_face.gif

I don't know about Senn and their position on this, I just want to be sure on what I am getting into for that deal

​http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650#hDd2YEkLGiqm7GYF.97 where there is a short discussion on the changes to the HD600 and HD650

Thanks, I did see that article, doesn't seem to talk about 2008 though

2007 is the year they changed to the silver material I think and the reason for it was the paper material was inconsistent making variations in manufacturing more common. Since then though I think there have been a few silent improvements as well maybe just changing the thickness of the front and rear foam etc... just my guess on that one though.

Thanks but what do you mean by the silver material?

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #17,947 of 23,499
  Thought I'd listen to Led Zepp after reading this

The newer 'Mothership' compilation I have sounds pretty awful on the Sennheisers. Harsh, loud, un-dynamic, a travesty to such great music.I take this is what's meant by compression?!? 

My older CD's (I have all the individual albums EDIT also most on LP with nothing to play them on!)) on the other hand sound absolutely superb. Best I've heard; the music just flows effortlessly, fast dynamic and with the great impact when needed.

Conlcusion: it's not the headphones.

The HD600 really does show the difference between poorly and well  mastered music. Never experienced the differences so starkly till now.

Haven't heard these HiRes versions but maybe they are not so good, or at least all they're cracked up to be, either ?

You were right, I bought a good remastered version on CD and it sounds great, yes HD600 doesn't have mercy with poor quality music

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #17,948 of 23,499
Are there any amps that make the HD600 sound good at low volumes? My O2 is setup at 1x gain and I have to crank it to 12 o'clock to get the clarity I'd like out of them.

For example, 9 o'clock which is my ideal volume: percussions are shrunk back and they're somewhat softer. At 12 o'clock everything is clear as day and has a sharp attack.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #17,949 of 23,499
  Are there any amps that make the HD600 sound good at low volumes? My O2 is setup at 1x gain and I have to crank it to 12 o'clock to get the clarity I'd like out of them.

For example, 9 o'clock which is my ideal volume: percussions are shrunk back and they're somewhat softer. At 12 o'clock everything is clear as day and has a sharp attack.

does it change anything to lower the volume on the computer and get the amp at 12 o'clock? (a mean to measure the same output would be nice).
on your end, there is of course the "louder is better" psycho acoustic, but also possibly the change in equal loudness contour. I listen often very quietly and I need to give a more V shaped FR to perceive a similar signature to non EQed louder sound.

about the actual sound, there is a very real chance for some channel imbalance at 9 o'clock. I found a place very close with good matching on mine, but it was after fiddling for 5mn with a multimeter and a switch. if you can't have that, maybe digital attenuation and louder setting on the amp would be a valid solution to strongly reduce the chance of imbalance. IF it's the issue in the first place ^_^

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #17,950 of 23,499

does it change anything to lower the volume on the computer and get the amp at 12 o'clock? (a mean to measure the same output would be nice).
on your end, there is of course the "louder is better" psycho acoustic, but also possibly the change in equal loudness contour. I listen often very quietly and I need to give a more V shaped FR to perceive a similar signature to non EQed louder sound.

about the actual sound, there is a very real chance for some channel imbalance at 9 o'clock. I found a place very close with good matching on mine, but it was after fiddling for 5mn with a multimeter and a switch. if you can't have that, maybe digital attenuation and louder setting on the amp would be a valid solution to strongly reduce the chance of imbalance. IF it's the issue in the first place ^_^

Thanks for the fast reply. You're right, it would be nice to measure the differences between the DAC at full volume at 9 o'clock and the DAC at half turned to 12 o'clock.
By any chance do you use Equalizer APO? I'd like to see what EQ settings you're using.

9 o'clock by luck just so happens to be the border of audible channel imbalance (to my ears anyway) before the sound starts fading off from the left channel at 8 o'clock.

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #17,951 of 23,499
  Quote:Thanks for the fast reply. You're right, it would be nice to measure the differences between the DAC at full volume at 9 o'clock and the DAC at half turned to 12 o'clock.
By any chance do you use Equalizer APO? I'd like to see what EQ settings you're using.

9 o'clock by luck just so happens to be the border of audible channel imbalance (to my ears anyway) before the sound starts fading off from the left channel at 8 o'clock.

short answer:  sorry I can't.

long one(optional ^_^): I don't have anything like one curve for my normal loudness and one curve for 20db louder or something like that. I only have the EQ for my normal listening level (that happens to be very quiet). and my digital path "of audio destruction" has everything stacked in impulse responses with so called "true stereo" convolution for custom crossfeed that matches my HRTF a little better than default stuff I've tried before(while I wait for a realiser A16 to stop with my macgyver solutions). my reference being my speakers at the loudness I enjoy using with them. so even the eq curves I do have for different headphones/IEMs are born after an accumulation of non subtle effects and compensations. and the closest I have is for a hd650 anyway, not a 600.
it's not that I'm trying to be secretive, I can give what I use, it's just that statistically it shouldn't even be relevant for 0.1% of the population because of all the non average factors.

you could try to apply this http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress with the reference sound you wish to copy being the loud sound, and the result being applied to your normal listening level. but if you don't already have a fairly good practice of EQing by ear, it takes time to get the method to work precisely. and each second listening to test tones is IMO, a suffering.

the loudness level and our hearing curve is one of those stuff I consider very relevant to preferred or more neutral sound, but it can't really be passed from one person to the other. because just like HRTF, we don't all listen at the same loudness, and our ears don't all have the same response or trigger the extra damping at the same loudness. those stuff have to be custom to work well :frowning2:.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #17,952 of 23,499
short answer:  sorry I can't.

long one(optional ^_^): I don't have anything like one curve for my normal loudness and one curve for 20db louder or something like that. I only have the EQ for my normal listening level (that happens to be very quiet). and my digital path "of audio destruction" has everything stacked in impulse responses with so called "true stereo" convolution for custom crossfeed that matches my HRTF a little better than default stuff I've tried before(while I wait for a realiser A16 to stop with my macgyver solutions). my reference being my speakers at the loudness I enjoy using with them. so even the eq curves I do have for different headphones/IEMs are born after an accumulation of non subtle effects and compensations. and the closest I have is for a hd650 anyway, not a 600.
it's not that I'm trying to be secretive, I can give what I use, it's just that statistically it shouldn't even be relevant for 0.1% of the population because of all the non average factors.

you could try to apply this http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress with the reference sound you wish to copy being the loud sound, and the result being applied to your normal listening level. but if you don't already have a fairly good practice of EQing by ear, it takes time to get the method to work precisely. and each second listening to test tones is IMO, a suffering.

the loudness level and our hearing curve is one of those stuff I consider very relevant to preferred or more neutral sound, but it can't really be passed from one person to the other. because just like HRTF, we don't all listen at the same loudness, and our ears don't all have the same response or trigger the extra damping at the same loudness. those stuff have to be custom to work well :frowning2:.

That's fine, thanks for sharing the link your provided in your post. I'll have a fairly nice read on the bus and hopefully I'd have learned how to do proper EQ. For the most part I've just been applying sub bass lifts but that's about it haha

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #17,953 of 23,499
So I've bought another spanking new pair of HD600. Wasn't happy with my last pair and posted that they were overly sharp and dry sounding... Now it may be my ears, my brain, or some slight variations in production. I honestly don't know - but these sound fine. Smooth, slightly warm and balanced with an airy treble, I can tell instantly that the treble is not going to bother me.

Anyone thinking the clamp is too much just bend the metal parts of the headband out a little - new HD600 are very clampy!  

I'm currently juggling the HD600,HD650 and HD700 :)

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #17,954 of 23,499

When you say 9:00 is your ideal volume do you mean 12:00 is too loud or simply that you normally just use 9:00? Because if 12:00 isn't too loud for you and you like the the sound then might as well just use it like that.

Otherwise, try the Little Dot MkII.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #17,955 of 23,499
  So I've bought another spanking new pair of HD600. Wasn't happy with my last pair and posted that they were overly sharp and dry sounding... Now it may be my ears, my brain, or some slight variations in production. I honestly don't know - but these sound fine. Smooth, slightly warm and balanced with an airy treble, I can tell instantly that the treble is not going to bother me.

Anyone thinking the clamp is too much just bend the metal parts of the headband out a little - new HD600 are very clampy!  

I'm currently juggling the HD600,HD650 and HD700 :)

Ooh, what are your impressions of the HD600 vs the HD700? I've had the HD700 on my head briefly before and really like the comfort, but didn't have any time to do any sound testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back