Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #17,641 of 23,499
  Question for anyone who is running a balanced cable with their HD 600s.  I just got a 4 pin cable to hook my 600’s to a Jotunheim and the sound is completely different - not the typical subtle thing one gets from a cable tweak - these sound like completely different headphones.  It’s tricky to describe but in a nutshell the headphones have morphed into a pair of Grados...  The sound stage feels very closed in but somehow there is more detail, which is pretty weird.  Vocals, bass and kick drums are right in the middle of your head - but it’s a very detailed “mono”.  When I switch back to the stock cable, that relaxed, even-keel sound returns.   

Is it the cable?  The balanced circuitry in the amplifier?  I wasn’t really expecting much of a sound difference, but this is far from a subtle change...  

Any thoughts?   

I just did the same, upgraded to a C3audio balanced cable. Huge change to the Jotunheim - I think it's a lot to do with the XLR 4-pin connection and the overall much better quality cable. Soundstage for me is same if not better, but the bass and mid-bass has totally opened up and the treble has tamed. Very happy with the improvement!

Huh, interesting! I purchased a Balanced cable for my HD6XX to use on my Jot, but never got around to using it with my HD600. I'll have to give it a shot.

P.S. Both my cables for my Sennheisers are made with Cardas cables, should be a pretty fair side-by-side comparison.

*edit* Just tried.....I'm not a good one to do this test. I keep fumbling the  cables trying to plug them into my HD600s, taking too much time inbetween listening. And there is a LARGE volume swing beween the 2 cables, XLR is significantly more powerful on the same volume setting on the knob. This is to be expected, as Jot is specced for a much higher XLR output power (1.5W @ 32 Ohms 1/4", 5W @ 32 Ohms XLR). I'd have to do some serious volume-matching to conduct a valid test, which I'm not equipped to do.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #17,642 of 23,499
Thanks for the replies - I’ve found the only way to make comparisons is level matched, quick A/B - but in this instance the sound difference is so great those factors don’t matter.  It feels like there is something wrong with how the cable is wired at the 4-pin, how it’s attaching to the ‘phones, or something is up with the balanced circuitry on the Jot.

One other factor is that the headphone cable is color coded for L and R - but they didn’t label the connectors as to which way to plug into the ear cups.  It’s my understanding that most Senn cables have a L and R on the outside, so the pins line up correctly...  

I listened again this morning with fresh ears, and mid bass instruments still sound like there in mono - kind of a phase-like thing... 

Thanks again...

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #17,643 of 23,499
  Thanks for the replies - I’ve found the only way to make comparisons is level matched, quick A/B - but in this instance the sound difference is so great those factors don’t matter.  It feels like there is something wrong with how the cable is wired at the 4-pin, how it’s attaching to the ‘phones, or something is up with the balanced circuitry on the Jot.

One other factor is that the headphone cable is color coded for L and R - but they didn’t label the connectors as to which way to plug into the ear cups.  It’s my understanding that most Senn cables have a L and R on the outside, so the pins line up correctly...  

I listened again this morning with fresh ears, and mid bass instruments still sound like there in mono - kind of a phase-like thing... 

Thanks again...

The cable could be out of phase...

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #17,644 of 23,499

Thanks again...

You could try turning one of the cable ends (that are connected to the headphones) around then?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 18, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #17,647 of 23,499
Does anyone listen to metal or hard rock on their HD600? If yes, how do you think it does for those genres?

Amazing. Some people recommend grado but their happy treble nature doesn't let me crank the volume like the Hd600's. I tried the hd650 but there wasn't enough bite in the guitar riffs.

Granted I had to change cables, swap opamps to get the brighter sound out of the hd600.. but that's a different story altogether.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #17,648 of 23,499
Amazing. Some people recommend grado but their happy treble nature doesn't let me crank the volume like the Hd600's. I tried the hd650 but there wasn't enough bite in the guitar riffs.

Granted I had to change cables, swap opamps to get the brighter sound out of the hd600.. but that's a different story altogether.

Very good to know. Thank you!

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #17,649 of 23,499
  Does anyone listen to metal or hard rock on their HD600? If yes, how do you think it does for those genres?

Did use my HD-600 for rock and its decent (have since sold them after getting better headphones), For rock can't beat the better Grado's like PS-500e, GH-1 or RS2e IMO, granted these are all higher priced than the HD-600 but on the flip side they are easy to drive properly so you save on the amp.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #17,651 of 23,499
Is Chord Hugo good for HD600? I mean the soundstage...

HD-600 doesn't have a very wide or deep sound stage to begin with so the Hugo will not change it much, if at all from most DAC/amps since the limiting factor is the headphone, not what is driving it.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #17,652 of 23,499
  Did use my HD-600 for rock and its decent (have since sold them after getting better headphones), For rock can't beat the better Grado's like PS-500e, GH-1 or RS2e IMO, granted these are all higher priced than the HD-600 but on the flip side they are easy to drive properly so you save on the amp.

I tried out a PS500e and while overall, I preferred the HD600 actually in overall sound, the PS500e is certainly a very good headphone and sounded absolutely fantastic with rock.

HD-600 doesn't have a very wide or deep sound stage to begin with so the Hugo will not change it much, if at all from most DAC/amps since the limiting factor is the headphone, not what is driving it.

Sound stage with the HD600 is what it is. And what it is isn't very big. It's not claustrophobic or anything, but if I were to grab something for sound stage, it wouldn't be an HD600.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #17,653 of 23,499
Seems like the PS500e and HD-600 are a common two choices, you are the 5th person in addition to my ex GF that I know that tried them both, 2 went with HD-600, 3 went with PS-500e (all changed the ear pads to G pads due to comfort)

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #17,654 of 23,499
  Seems like the PS500e and HD-600 are a common two choices, you are the 5th person in addition to my ex GF that I know that tried them both, 2 went with HD-600, 3 went with PS-500e (all changed the ear pads to G pads due to comfort)

Grado's ear pad design has never been one I liked. The pair I tried also was using the G pads. Grado makes a good driver, but they've really gotta rethink the comfort department. Their headband is functional, but minimalistic and not terribly comfortable (though not terribly uncomfortable either) and I have yet to put on a set of Grados where I though "these pads are pretty comfortable."

Sennheiser, on the other hands, nails the comfort for me. I like the comfort on the HD600/650, but the HD700 and HD800 pads are fantastic. They're on the thin side for padding, but even then, they felt great. Someone figured out human ears aren't circular, which you'd think is pretty obvious. The oval design is good, but I find the D-design to be even more comfortable. From a pad standpoint, the HD700/800 are the best I've put on my head.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #17,655 of 23,499
I've never understood the complaints about soundstage size for the HD 600. No, it isn't cavernous, but I've never felt it to be stifling or tiny, either. The sound is always going to be a bit more in your face and intimate with the HD 600 because of the upper midrange lift, but even with this I don't feel like the soundstage is constricting. The sound has a strong center image, sure, but I don't perceive any clear outer boundary to the soundstage. In direct comparison to headphones with less upper midrange and more upper treble, the HD 600 will certainly sound a bit smaller. But I'd gladly trade the larger, more diffuse soundstage of headphones in the former category for the overall tonality and entirely sufficient (for my tastes, at least) soundstage projection of the HD 600.

Different strokes, I guess. I just feel like some of the descriptions I read of the HD 600's soundstage imply (or overtly state) that it's like that of a closed headphone, an impression I've never once gotten from it. One of the greatest revelations I had in headphone listening was trying my first proper open back headphone (my DT880), and ever since then closed headphones have sounded...well, closed to me in comparison. The HD 600 definitely doesn't sound this way to me--it's clearly more like the DT880 (though, of course, more intimate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back