Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #17,611 of 23,456

Sounds like my 2007 HD600 that I bought in 2009. Earpads were worn out. Replaced them and the shrill highs were gone; did the headband adjustment (bent the headband outwards to relax the clamp) and the bass tightened up.

When those pads wore out I gutted them and mounted the HM5 earpads on them. Cymbals moved back (away from my head) and bass is slightly deeper sounding. You might want to get these instead of the original earpads. I'm using the angled velours but there's a hybrid velour-pleather angled version.

Thanks folks, I will reply late tonight when I get back from work. Also wondering how one would attach those HM5 earpads?

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #17,612 of 23,456

Thanks folks, I will reply late tonight when I get back from work. Also wondering how one would attach those HM5 earpads?

There are two ways to attach them. First, you could cannibalize the old pads and mount the HM5 on the plastic rings that those have on the back. The second way, which I recommend, is adapter rings found here: http://www.modhouseaudio.com/sennheiser-earpad-adapters/fz5hnljhxcvpcrybgsum5drj41umx0 . Unfortunately it says out of stock currently, and idk when they will be back in stock. I use the HD558 adapters for velour HM5 pads, they are great.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #17,613 of 23,456
  Hi, where on the box did you find the manufacture date. I also had mine in this box, and on the bottom there is a sort of serial number, but not a date. Thanks

All I can say with any amount of accuracy is that you have one from the 2000s. I wanna say that they used this "wavy" exterior box up until about 2009, then they switched to the current smooth box with blue and black color scheme.

Hello again @DavidA, any advice on how to tell which has the silver or black driver? After removing the pads I only see a transparent silicon like driver but don't see any silver or black. Where do I look, and how do I take it apart without ruining it? (if you don't mind to possibly illustrate, or share links) THANKS!

I think you might be referring to the baffle screen if I'm not mistaken? In which case, simply look through the grille of your HD600. Compare to the link @DavidA provided from Inner Fidelity. You can see what color the screen is without disassembling anything.

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #17,614 of 23,456

Also wondering how one would attach those HM5 earpads?

Take a worn out pair of HD600 earpads, then use a sharp, pointy scissor to cut into and around the velour. When you take that off the foam pad falls off. Now you're left with the plastic oval mounts.

Now you take the HM5 earpads, stretch and hold them along the X and Y axis for a few seconds at a time. Then you can mount them onto the plastic rings. Once you get that done, take an exacto knife or very sharp but small scissors and trim the pleather so it doesn't block the protrusion in the rear of the mount that locks into the HD600 earcup. Make sure you trim off as little as possible so it has something that maintains traction on the plastic ring.

Then just mount it back on the HD600 earcup, pressing around the earpad to lock it in place.

One more thing - to maximize the effect of keeping the shrillness away (especially in moving the cymbals away) is to wear the HD600 (regardless of what pads are on it) moved as forward as possible as long as it's still comfortable for your ears. I have the part of the pads to the rear lightly pressing on my earlobes.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #17,615 of 23,456
Hi guys, checking back in per your helpful posts. This may not come out quite right as my mind is blown being in between long work shifts now, but boy do I have a few interesting finds:

First of all I compared the 2006 / 2013 models and they both definitely have the same driver type and voice coil color (silver). The only difference is that the transducer of the newer driver looks more transparent than the other.

Next, thanks to David A's video on the previous page I took it apart and surprisingly found about 20 hairs in the drivers and after removing THIS ACTUALLY DID THE TRICK! Thanks so much folks! I'd say that with many headphones that start to exhibit a distortion in the lower bass frequencies it may be actually due to hair in the drivers!

So after giving another listen to both headphones I noticed something interesting: The older pair from 2006 which I burned in for 20 hours had seemed to have a much different sound than just yesterday - I'd say for the better. The 'shouty' overall signature and semi-harsh treble had been reduced by a fair margin, making them sound more refined and laid back.

Then after swapping earpads from the 2007 to 2013 pairs I noticed something hard to believe: although they're both stock pads of the same type, the 2007 earpads which were still firm and basically unused gave a sound on both pairs of HD-600's that is slightly punchier and brighter, whereas the other earpads always gave a more laid back sound - such a relatively noticeable change with the only difference being the firmness / thickness of the earpads! 

I also swapped the drivers from the old to the new pair, and after extensive comparison I determined the only difference between these two drivers may be the 2013 (extensively burned in) version sounded a nuance more organic and had improved imaging, but it was such a subtle difference I can't be sure whether or not it was placebo. The real difference in fact came with both the initial 20 hours of burn-in (in moderately loud volume with fast / "bright" electronic music with balanced connection), and changing earpads that are worn-in vs. firm... believe it or not that actually made a big difference.

I'll be keeping the 2013 drivers in the 2006 headphones with a better body and their included earpads because they're still in better shape even though sounds a bit too bright. Now that I've seen the power of earpad rolling, I'll likely try the HM5 pads or maybe one of those el-chapo eBay Chinese pads to see what they do to the sound.

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #17,616 of 23,456
Now that I've seen the power of earpad rolling, I'll likely try the HM5 pads or maybe one of those el-chapo eBay Chinese pads to see what they do to the sound.

Most of the cheap HD600 replacement pads I've seen look thinner and some have reviews on being mushier (vs the firm stock pads), so chances are they'll wear out sooner. The angled HM5 pads don't feel as stiff as new Sennheiser pads and yet don't compress that much, maintaining their dimension (with the drivers farther out also) while being as comfortable as broken in original pads.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #17,618 of 23,456
  Hi guys, checking back in per your helpful posts. This may not come out quite right as my mind is blown being in between long work shifts now, but boy do I have a few interesting finds:

First of all I compared the 2006 / 2013 models and they both definitely have the same driver type and voice coil color (silver). The only difference is that the transducer of the newer driver looks more transparent than the other.

Next, thanks to David A's video on the previous page I took it apart and surprisingly found about 20 hairs in the drivers and after removing THIS ACTUALLY DID THE TRICK! Thanks so much folks! I'd say that with many headphones that start to exhibit a distortion in the lower bass frequencies it may be actually due to hair in the drivers!

So after giving another listen to both headphones I noticed something interesting: The older pair from 2006 which I burned in for 20 hours had seemed to have a much different sound than just yesterday - I'd say for the better. The 'shouty' overall signature and semi-harsh treble had been reduced by a fair margin, making them sound more refined and laid back.

Then after swapping earpads from the 2007 to 2013 pairs I noticed something hard to believe: although they're both stock pads of the same type, the 2007 earpads which were still firm and basically unused gave a sound on both pairs of HD-600's that is slightly punchier and brighter, whereas the other earpads always gave a more laid back sound - such a relatively noticeable change with the only difference being the firmness / thickness of the earpads! 

I also swapped the drivers from the old to the new pair, and after extensive comparison I determined the only difference between these two drivers may be the 2013 (extensively burned in) version sounded a nuance more organic and had improved imaging, but it was such a subtle difference I can't be sure whether or not it was placebo. The real difference in fact came with both the initial 20 hours of burn-in (in moderately loud volume with fast / "bright" electronic music with balanced connection), and changing earpads that are worn-in vs. firm... believe it or not that actually made a big difference.

I'll be keeping the 2013 drivers in the 2006 headphones with a better body and their included earpads because they're still in better shape even though sounds a bit too bright. Now that I've seen the power of earpad rolling, I'll likely try the HM5 pads or maybe one of those el-chapo eBay Chinese pads to see what they do to the sound.

not only do I believe the pads changing sound, it's in fact one of the most impactful element after placement on the head for headphones. that's why I'm always annoyed when someone makes claims about burn in but "neglects" to factor the pads changing the seal and letting the driver come closer to the ear over time.

about hair, I'm kind of surprised because when it happened to me(not often now given how much hair I have left ^_^), I always got a fairly obvious buzzing sound from the hair touching the driver to alert me that something was wrong. maybe it's a straight vs curly hair thing?
biggrin.gif
mine never learned how to bend, so they always went straight through the foam mesh with an end touching the driver.
I demand an AES study on hair+driver sound!!!!!!!
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #17,619 of 23,456
I've heard that red hair produces a more lively sound than other colors, and that brown hair makes things sound a bit darker than blond, gray or white. And when you burn your hair in...it smokes. Don't burn your hair.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #17,620 of 23,456
  not only do I believe the pads changing sound, it's in fact one of the most impactful element after placement on the head for headphones. that's why I'm always annoyed when someone makes claims about burn in but "neglects" to factor the pads changing the seal and letting the driver come closer to the ear over time.

about hair, I'm kind of surprised because when it happened to me(not often now given how much hair I have left ^_^), I always got a fairly obvious buzzing sound from the hair touching the driver to alert me that something was wrong. maybe it's a straight vs curly hair thing?
biggrin.gif
mine never learned how to bend, so they always went straight through the foam mesh with an end touching the driver.
I demand an AES study on hair+driver sound!!!!!!!
tongue.gif

The solution is to shave your head and ears.
eek.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #17,622 of 23,456
Totally agree about pads making a massive difference, especially the HD600/650 ones. They mould to your head over time and change shape. I've heard a difference instantly when I bought new pads (2 times) for my 7 year old HD650 (now deceased). But what I still don't buy is; both the HD600/650 have been labelled "veiled" many, many times over the years but both of my recent pairs have caused my ears fatigue(HD600) and annoyance.. (HD650). I've owned these headphones a couple of times before and I've never had these symptoms.

Possibly due to my ears being used to other headphones perhaps? Absolutely. This is something I truly believe in. It takes time for our ears (and brain) to adjust to different sound signatures. Our brains like to make sense of what we are hearing. So... If you are coming from a "U" shaped headphone to the HD600 that is elevated in the upper mids then it will no doubt assault your ears to begin with. A familiar recording may sound bloody awful!  

Time is needed then to acclimatise to a new sound signature. You can then maybe claim that it sounds "neutral" "natural" or whatever - to you!  

However, surely there has to be some relative objectivity in regards to what the general consensus is.

And the general consensus these days seems to be that the HD600/650 are not veiled. In-fact, both headphones are considered very clear and sharp in the treble. Not a veil in sight... Not anymore. If anything, there only seems to be whinges about the treble being a touch too much. 

I believe Senn have tweaked these headphones over time. I might be completely wrong :) 

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #17,623 of 23,456
  I've heard that red hair produces a more lively sound than other colors, and that brown hair makes things sound a bit darker than blond, gray or white. And when you burn your hair in...it smokes. Don't burn your hair.

I LOL'd!! Thanks for that :)

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #17,624 of 23,456

Black hair actually does a similar thing. It's based on the same principles as light in which brighter sounds are absorbed by the darker colorations. @DavidA, we now know why the HD600 is more piercing to you than the HD700: your hair is the wrong shade for it, but the right shade for the HD700
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #17,625 of 23,456
I grew up with Sennheiser. Got the HD490 as a teenager, and the PX100 and HD555 in university. That was before a got serious with headphones.

Then, i tried all different kinds of headphones. I've found no Sennheiser that convinced me completely. The HD800 is unusable with not-ideal recordings. HD700 has a peak that is worse than all Beyer peaks combined. The instrument separation of the HD25 is sub par. The HD650 was closest to the warm comforting sound I found typical for Sennheiser. Somehow I found them totally boring.

I never considered the HD600 because of that terrible marble colour coming straight from the 90ies (on their homepage they still talk about using them with DAD and MiniDisc!!!!!)

Until now!

Received them today and can't stop listening. This is the Sennheiser sound I've been looking for for years. So comforting without being boring. Detailed without being harsh.

The colour, while being not great, is tolerable. Especially in low light.
biggrin.gif

And it sounds good straight out of an iPhone. It was the same with the HD650. I don't know where all the talk about being power hungry comes from. Sure they sound better with my amplifier. Much better. But I can enjoy listening to them on the phone. That's not the case with phones like the AKG K701.

Now that I have them, I hope Sennheiser will never release updated versions with better design 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back