Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #15,616 of 23,482

Aside from the nasty dips and peaks in the treble, the HD700 does have a little more sub bass. For me the treble is too volatile and would require more fiddling with the EQ than I'd be willing to diddle with.

Fair enough. Mind, I think you could get a similar increase in bass extension by going with the HD 650 (depending on which measurements and accounts you agree with), and without the additional signature issues.

I've always thought the HD 700 plot reminds me of a lot of V-shaped IEMs: midbass hump, a trough of some description in the upper mids, and a prominent spike in the low-to-mid treble. I've personally never liked this general signature shape very much, particularly the treble spike, which is smack in the middle of where I'm most sensitive.

I'd be interested in how somebody who has heard both the HD 600 and HD 700 would compare them, mainly to see if these plots line up with their experience. Sometimes I've felt like the plots match pretty closely to my initial expectations; other times they seem way off. Because of this I always place more weight on actual listening impressions when it comes to headphones, particularly if a specific issue (e.g. pronounced sibilance) keeps coming up. Sound is funny. And subjective. Which is annoying when trying to work out what to buy with limited funds.

EDIT: Closer reading of previous posts shows me that StanD has heard them both. Must read more carefully.

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #15,617 of 23,482
  When I look at that graph, I would think the mid bass/upper bass would be strong enough to mask some treble issues, but the mids look recessed in comparison. Is this how it plays out?

It masks it maybe a bit (although this graph can be a bit deceiving, it had some bass but not _that_ much) but it's still a peak, and it's a peak at 6KHz which is really a frequency where people would immediately notice it. Been a long time but I remember I noticed some sibilance on female vocals for example, although it wouldn't have bother me too much so it depends if you are bothered by it, but I just wanted a more neutral headphone that doesn't overemphasize too many things.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #15,618 of 23,482
  When I look at that graph, I would think the mid bass/upper bass would be strong enough to mask some treble issues, but the mids look recessed in comparison. Is this how it plays out?

There are notches and peaks in the treble region that are much more extreme than the HD600, so much that it is strident. I compared them both, side by side at J&R in NYC. They let me fiddle with The HD600, HD650, HD700 and HD800 for over an hour. I was aiming for the H650 but was willing to go the extra bucks for the HD700. I left with the HD600 and more money in my pocket, actually less of an impact on my credit card.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #15,619 of 23,482

Fair enough. Mind, I think you could get a similar increase in bass extension by going with the HD 650 (depending on which measurements and accounts you agree with), and without the additional signature issues.

I've always thought the HD 700 plot reminds me of a lot of V-shaped IEMs: midbass hump, a trough of some description in the upper mids, and a prominent spike in the low-to-mid treble. I've personally never liked this general signature shape very much, particularly the treble spike, which is smack in the middle of where I'm most sensitive.

I'd be interested in how somebody who has heard both the HD 600 and HD 700 would compare them, mainly to see if these plots line up with their experience. Sometimes I've felt like the plots match pretty closely to my initial expectations; other times they seem way off. Because of this I always place more weight on actual listening impressions when it comes to headphones, particularly if a specific issue (e.g. pronounced sibilance) keeps coming up. Sound is funny. And subjective. Which is annoying when trying to work out what to buy with limited funds.

EDIT: Closer reading of previous posts shows me that StanD has heard them both. Must read more carefully.

See my last post, just before this. I tried everything from the HD600 all they way up to the HD800. The HD700 was a disappointment, I really wanted to love it.

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #15,621 of 23,482
See my last post, just before this. I tried everything from the HD600 all they way up to the HD800. The HD700 was a disappointment, I really wanted to love it.

The important thing is you got what you actually enjoyed and didn't let your desire to like the (ostensibly) higher end model convince you to get it. It had to feel good walking away with a nice bit of extra padding in the wallet as well.

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #15,622 of 23,482

A few things that worth mentioning:

- Different measuring rigs would yield slightly different results, even in comparative terms.
- Matching at 1kHz is arbitrary

This kind of comparative graph can be very useful but can be misleading as well.
HD700 is not bassier than HD6x0 in my experience, its bass is a little bit flatter and more extended, but HD6x0 is more mid-bassy/punchy.

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #15,623 of 23,482
The important thing is you got what you actually enjoyed and didn't let your desire to like the (ostensibly) higher end model convince you to get it. It had to feel good walking away with a nice bit of extra padding in the wallet as well.

I was pleasantly surprised. I put the savings towards a new DAC.

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #15,624 of 23,482
I have/owned the HD600 through HD800 and the HD600 and HD800 remain.

The HD700 was easily the most frustrating headphone I've ever owned, even more so than the Fostex TH500RP (but for opposite reasons). It literally made me angry listening to it.

It seemed agreeable and we'll behaved (if a little unspectacular) throughout most of the frequency spectrum, but that 7kHz was so pronounced and abrupt I simply could not listen to it. It would make me wince even after I stopped listening to them!

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #15,625 of 23,482

A few things that worth mentioning:

- Different measuring rigs would yield slightly different results, even in comparative terms.
- Matching at 1kHz is arbitrary

This kind of comparative graph can be very useful but can be misleading as well.
HD700 is not bassier than HD6x0 in my experience, its bass is a little bit flatter and more extended, but HD6x0 is more mid-bassy/punchy.

One can look at the relative differences between the curves and see the HD700 extends to the Sub Bass with less losses. Looking at the curves, I'd say that the HD600 is better behaved above 100 Hz. In any case, I much preferred the sound of the HD600, as I said, the HD700's strident treble was too much for me. Another person might enjoy the HD700 more than I.

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #15,626 of 23,482
I'd be interested in how somebody who has heard both the HD 600 and HD 700 would compare them, mainly to see if these plots line up with their experience. Sometimes I've felt like the plots match pretty closely to my initial expectations; other times they seem way off. Because of this I always place more weight on actual listening impressions when it comes to headphones, particularly if a specific issue (e.g. pronounced sibilance) keeps coming up. Sound is funny. And subjective. Which is annoying when trying to work out what to buy with limited funds

http://www.head-fi.org/t/725127/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd700

Just one persons view. I'd probably buy them again if they get cheap enough.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #15,627 of 23,482
http://www.head-fi.org/t/725127/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd700

Just one persons view. I'd probably buy them again if they get cheap enough.

Curious about the HD630VB. Do you like it? Well, I guess you like it or you wouldn't have it. Where does it fit within the HD 600/650/800 lineup?

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #15,628 of 23,482
Personally I really like it. If it wasn't so heavy I'd use it a lot as a portable - and I do use it quite a bit around home if I'm looking for isolation - a bit more that the AKG K553 now. It's so good that I asked to buy the review sample from Sennheiser.

I reviewed it here if it helps
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-630vb/reviews/15448

Aug 9, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #15,630 of 23,482
Quote:

Looking forward to Tuesday which is when I'm receiving my Eddie Current Zana Deux Super.  I can't count the number of posts & testimonies  I've read stating that this is the one, the best amp for the HD6X0 siblings which I've always owned.  This will be my last shot at finding the best amp synergy (some head-fiers don't like this term) wise for the HD600.  

With the current movement of self justifying minimalism on this thread lately, I am sure your impressions will be a welcome relief for some of us.

that moment when a guy who has plenty of TOTL gears gets frustrated to see people happy with less.
2000$ amp for 300$ headphone, there at least we don't need no silly self justification right? what a relief.
wink_face.gif

I hadn't looked up the price, but $2400 for a headphone amp is too much for me. I draw the line at €1500, which is about what my speaker amplifier cost, and they power a pair of hard to drive floorstanding speakers (4 Ohm). A headphone amp that costs even half that must be pretty amazing already, and give a noticeable improvement in sound quality for me to be able to justify its purchase
wink_face.gif

But hey, if BobG55 likes it, why not. They'd look quite good in the living room (though perhaps a bit of a hassle to keep dust free).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back