Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #15,541 of 23,486

what is your objective? if it's for you to like it and you like it, then you've got it right ^_^

I'd guess he is missing his TH-600
tongue.gif
​, but I would too.

@Sonic Defender, did you get the 339 yet?

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #15,543 of 23,486
  I'd guess he is missing his TH-600
tongue.gif
​, but I would too.

@Sonic Defender, did you get the 339 yet?

Yes, I will miss the TH 600, that was a nice headphone. I did receive the 339, with a faulty driver tube so the left channel wouldn't work. Tube was damaged during shipping (replacements on the way from Calgary now) so I will be hearing the amp by Tuesday I hope. The amp looks gorgeous, hope the sound matches. Thanks for asking, I'll let you know once I have heard it.

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #15,544 of 23,486
I too have the HD 600s and love them! After about 6 or 8 months of use I had rolled over the chord many times with my office chair. I  decided to buy the Sennheiser replacement chord. Wow what a huge difference that made... I would recommend buying the beefier replacement chord right out of the box :)

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #15,545 of 23,486
  I too have the HD 600s and love them! After about 6 or 8 months of use I had rolled over the chord many times with my office chair. I  decided to buy the Sennheiser replacement chord. Wow what a huge difference that made... I would recommend buying the beefier replacement chord right out of the box :)

You mean difference in durability I assume? Welcome to your first post on head-fi!

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #15,546 of 23,486
  For some reason I can not explain because I dont know the science of it, it is not ONLY about loudness. You will find a lot of people who say it is, I invite you to try different gear and hear for yourself. I have been listening to my HD600 from my iphone, laptop, receiver, mixer, magni 2 uber and now from the valhalla 2. Even though the magni 2 uber has power, allegedly, to break the drivers (HD600 has a maximum nomimal power handling  of 200vW, vs. the 320mW output of the magni into 300ohms.), the difference with it and the Valhalla 2 is quite noticeable. You will be able to hear MORE things and some of what you hear will sound way differently, better, with "better" meaning "how they actually sound when you are next to the thing/instrument making the sound". 

At this point, with only two days wth the Valhalla 2, my recommendation for anyone thinking about spending 300usd in the HD600 is to at least get the Valhalla 2, or some of its competitors, because it is sad to listen to them performing worse than this, knowing they are capable of this... If the budget dont allow, get them now (it is likely you will enjoy them even from the headphone out of a laptop) and save to get something at the level of the V2, and prepare to be pleasantly surprised with the improvement. 

I couldn't get my mind to spend more in electronics than the actual speakers o headphones producing the sound, but it seems that economies of scale and other cost factors have helped us to get incredibly performing speakers and headphones, but not so much for high end or mid end audio electronics. It makes sense if the main cost factor is economies of scale: way more people buy speakers than they buy amps, at least high end...

I bought my first dac/amp for my pc last month before I decided to get the HD600. It's a cheap all-in-one (coincidentally it's a tube amp) on Massdrop and I'm still waiting for it to ship.

Will definitely look into Valhalla 2. Do you have any experience with DarkVoice and BottleHead?

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #15,548 of 23,486

I bought my first dac/amp for my pc last month before I decided to get the HD600. It's a cheap all-in-one (coincidentally it's a tube amp) on Massdrop and I'm still waiting for it to ship.

Will definitely look into Valhalla 2. Do you have any experience with DarkVoice and BottleHead?

The Ember is a highly praised hybrid amp you may want to consider. Sounds like a sick value for the money.

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #15,551 of 23,486
Aug 5, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #15,552 of 23,486

No experience with a lot of amps or any other equipment. I am trying things, especially those that are not crazy expensive. I am thinking about CRack + Speedball, but I have a read so many posts saying they can't hear a difference with the Valhalla 2 and the Crack that I might try something else. 

I´ve also read that the Asgard 2 is warmer sounding than the Valhalla2, and if I am looking for something, it might be a more "in your face" sound. If... at this point I am quite pleased with HD600-modi2U-Valhala2. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #15,553 of 23,486
If... at this point I am quite pleased with HD600-modi2U-Valhala2. 

Then enjoy where you are. Eventually you will thirst for a different signature, but rest assured, if you are currently doing well with your rig then you are ahead of the game.

Aug 6, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #15,554 of 23,486
  Thanks! No actually the difference was in the sound quality. It was unmistakeable... much deeper and fuller than the stock chord to my ears. Quite unexpected.

I'm assuming the difference in sound was due to the damaged cable.

The Valhalla2 is a solid amp, I would stay away from the DarkVoice, seems to have some QC issues that others have noted and I love my BH Crack, tubes can get pricy for them.  I also have an Ember that @Sonic Defender mentioned and its a very versatile amp that can drive most headphones quite well. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #15,555 of 23,486
  Then enjoy where you are. Eventually you will thirst for a different signature, but rest assured, if you are currently doing well with your rig then you are ahead of the game.

Yeah, that's a really good direction to go. I'm really happy with my HD600 setup. I've gotten other things, portable or full-size, mainly to hear what they sound like or how they fit. The thing about this hobby, at least for me, is that it's not about owning everything, but rather more about just hearing as much as you can. I've bought things in the FS/FT forums then sold them back off again after a bit because I just wanted to try them and that was the best way I could do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back