Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #13,381 of 23,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by _gl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting, I have a pretty similar notch at 110K, but low end extension is quite different - originally based on the Sonarworks (UI) correction graph but then extended far deeper.  It sounds excellent to me.

Do you have anything that can load VST, RTAS or AAX plugins?  I'd like your opinion.

I take your point about variations, that's partly why I didn't make any deep changes to the mids/treble as I expect they're more prone to variation, although I still plan to look for specific sharp resonances (but those are apparently unique to every ear).  The low-bass recovery should be quite universal though, Sonarworks definitely restored the rolloff I heard on lower bass notes, I just found you can extend it much lower than they do.

I just based my adjustments off the graphs online as I can't take a proper measurement. Even if I had a mic and an RTA (I do, but for the car), it needs a mannequin head to simulate on-head response, ie, how the response is when the earpads are on the head, essentially locking an area where you can get some resonance as opposed to just hanging a mic between the two sides. Even those mannequin heads are manequins - ideally they'd have to be ballistic dummies (like those you see on crime shows when they try to recreate the victim's injuries) since human flesh has a different acoustic properly than plastic.

In my car though since you don't have to take into account simulating earpad interaction and resonances what's important is to get the mic where the driver's head will be, but nowadays that's mostly all that's needed since even my new processor comes with its own auto-calibration program and test tones. it will take a lot of the trial and error out of time alignment settings, and from my own experience, a lot of the peaks or dips tend to be due to timing issues than response issues per se, so to the ear it gets very close to the smoothest possible response just by dialing in the right tweeter amp to midwoofer amp gain settings and time alignment. 

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #13,382 of 23,439
I hear you, Sonarworks did proper dummy head measurements specifically for correction AFAIK (though averaged across several examples), hence it was a good starting point.  I've uploaded my corrections & details here if anyone wants to try them.

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #13,385 of 23,439
  Can anyone recommend a good beater headphone for gaming TV etc. I've been using my HD600 for everything but I would like to start using them only for music.

http://smile.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-Ear-Headphone-Green/dp/B00DKPXVEY/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1455132096&sr=8-14&keywords=sennheiser+momentum

great deal at just over $100 and great for portable use as well.

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #13,388 of 23,439
  Can anyone recommend a good beater headphone for gaming TV etc. I've been using my HD600 for everything but I would like to start using them only for music.

Superlux HD668B for detail or EVO for low end impact. I have them both...cheap and well worth the 40 bucks.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #13,389 of 23,439
  Superlux HD668B for detail or EVO for low end impact. I have them both...cheap and well worth the 40 bucks.

+1, though I haven't heard the EVO. The HD668B is a great value for what it offers. Takstar HI2050 is also good, I wrote a review on it once. Downside is it definitely won't fit large heads and it doesn't have a removable cable, but out of the box, it's more comfortable than the HD668B.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #13,390 of 23,439
Today, I got the 598SE. I really felt surprise on many comments I read before to claim 598 has obviously large soundstage than 600. Actually I just found my 600 has pretty larger soundstage than 598SE. 600 is much better than 598SE, at least for large work orchestra/symphony.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #13,392 of 23,439
  Today, I got the 598SE. I really felt surprise on many comments I read before to claim 598 has obviously large soundstage than 600. Actually I just found my 600 has pretty larger soundstage than 598SE. 600 is much better than 598SE, at least for large work orchestra/symphony.

Agree, my HD-600 is better in all aspects except when using a phone, computer headphone output or cheaper DAP, the HD-598 actually sounded better on less capable equipment when I had it.  My friend uses it straight from her phone or computer and love it.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #13,394 of 23,439
Agree, my HD-600 is better in all aspects except when using a phone, computer headphone output or cheaper DAP, the HD-598 actually sounded better on less capable equipment when I had it.  My friend uses it straight from her phone or computer and love it.

I still use my HD558 (same driver as the 598) when I'm playing out of the headphone jack on my iPad or iPhone, fot example when watching a movie on the iPad, and it sounds good for that. When playing music through the CCK and my (admittedly modest) Aune T1 the HD600 towers above the 558 in every way.

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #13,395 of 23,439
I still use my HD558 (same driver as the 598) when I'm playing out of the headphone jack on my iPad or iPhone, fot example when watching a movie on the iPad, and it sounds good for that. When playing music through the CCK and my (admittedly modest) Aune T1 the HD600 towers above the 558 in every way.

The Aune T1 is a really good modest DAC/amp, it was highly recommend when I was helping a friend look for a DAC/amp combo for her K7XX and HD-650, gave her a few of my spare tubes and she was in heaven, she sticks with a Telefunken most of the time from what she tells me but every once in a while will switch tubes just to get a slightly different sound.  Only thing I've noticed is that they have gone up in price lately, used to be in the $140-160 now up to $180-200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back