Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #12,136 of 23,499
Have had the HD600 for a little more than a week and I'm quite impressed by the upgrade from HD515 (old HD518). Yesterday I switched back to note any difference... wow, they suddenly felt very muddy and low on detail compated to the HD600
biggrin.gif

I've got one question though. When I'm running from an Xonar STX, it feels like the sound is a bit strident. It kind of gives me headache on brighter music after an hour or so. Will the o2 or schiit combo make it sound less strident?

I have a JDS Labs O2 and it did not pair well with my HD600. The HD600 sounds great with all my other amps and the O2 sounds fine with my other hp's but paired together didn't work for me. 
frown.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #12,137 of 23,499
Got my new hd600s today. I must say for the buck these are wonderful headphones. Especially with auralic combo.

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #12,138 of 23,499
Could anyone tell me the difference hd600 vs hd800 in sound signature. Is it true that the hd800 is even more analytical?

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #12,140 of 23,499
Owning both, I'd disagree a little in terms of neutrality.

Neither is spot-on neutral, though both sound very natural. I'd say that the HD 600 is the more neutral of the two, with having a moderately warm and bassy tilt. The HD 600's upper bass is, though, always there as it's somehow got a peak and rolls off more than the HD 800 which has, on the other hand, overall a tad more bass than the 600, but extends lower, making the moderately emphasised bass less obvious. One thing you notice when listening to the 800, compared to something more neutral (ER-4S for example), is that bass also bleeds into the ground tone a little, but way less than Audeze cans.
The HD 800 even has got a moderately v-shaped sound signature which comes in handy when one is listening at low volume levels as our hearing will perceive a moderate v-shaped sound as more neutral at low levels (keywords: loudness, aurally compensated volume). Sennheiser even somehow recommends to listening at rather moderate volume with the HD 800 in the manual somewhere.

In terms of resolution, instrument separation and speed/attack, the HD 800 wins, hands down. Though, both have got a pretty different sound-stage presentation: the HD 600 stage is rather small, compared to the HD 800, but has got a balanced amount of width and depth (all in my ears and from my perception, of course), whereas the HD 800's stage is darn wide and, though it has some decent depth, imho lacks about 60% of depth to create a balanced ratio of depth too width.
Instrument separation is very precise and sharp with the HD 800 which is also able to generate (subjectively perceived) "black, empty space" between instruments.
The HD 800 is less forgiving than the HD 600.

Imho, though the HD 800 is definitely Sennheisers' flagship out of the current models, providing stellar flagship sound, the HD 600 is Sennheisers' model with the best value-for-money ratio. I think there's a reason why they're still producing them (though they seem to have slightly changed over the years), just as the HD 25.

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #12,141 of 23,499
  Owning both, I'd disagree a little in terms of neutrality.

Neither is spot-on neutral, though both sound very natural. I'd say that the HD 600 is the more neutral of the two, with having a moderately warm and bassy tilt. The HD 600's upper bass is, though, always there as it's somehow got a peak and rolls off more than the HD 800 which has, on the other hand, overall a tad more bass than the 600, but extends lower, making the moderately emphasised bass less obvious. One thing you notice when listening to the 800, compared to something more neutral (ER-4S for example), is that bass also bleeds into the ground tone a little, but way less than Audeze cans.
The HD 800 even has got a moderately v-shaped sound signature which comes in handy when one is listening at low volume levels as our hearing will perceive a moderate v-shaped sound as more neutral at low levels (keywords: loudness, aurally compensated volume). Sennheiser even somehow recommends to listening at rather moderate volume with the HD 800 in the manual somewhere.

In terms of resolution, instrument separation and speed/attack, the HD 800 wins, hands down. Though, both have got a pretty different sound-stage presentation: the HD 600 stage is rather small, compared to the HD 800, but has got a balanced amount of width and depth (all in my ears and from my perception, of course), whereas the HD 800's stage is darn wide and, though it has some decent depth, imho lacks about 60% of depth to create a balanced ratio of depth too width.
Instrument separation is very precise and sharp with the HD 800 which is also able to generate (subjectively perceived) "black, empty space" between instruments.
The HD 800 is less forgiving than the HD 600.

Imho, though the HD 800 is definitely Sennheisers' flagship out of the current models, providing stellar flagship sound, the HD 600 is Sennheisers' model with the best value-for-money ratio. I think there's a reason why they're still producing them (though they seem to have slightly changed over the years), just as the HD 25.

And what headphone would you choose for a relaxing listening experience? Is the hd800 fun listening to?

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #12,142 of 23,499
@Lavakugel
: Everything is subjective, of course, but for a more relaxed sound signature while still staying natural, I've chosen the Audeze LCD-X. As I see on your profile, you've got the LCD-3 which should take the part of the relaxed sounding headphone (along with the Philips which I'd have recommended, too). Imo the HD 650 also fits into this category, but it's quite a while since I demoed it.

If you define "fun" by a tendentially rather strong v-shaped sound (DT770 Pro, Triple.Fi 10), the HD 800 probably isn't the headphone for you to go, but if you define "fun" by a very moderate v-shape, along with great resolution, instrument separation and freshness, the HD 800 could be something for you.
By the way, I've also reviewed the 800 in my German audio blog (link is in my signature, the blog offers an automatic translate feature (google translate... :confused_face: )), maybe it's worth a read for you. Anyways, you should best demo them yourself.

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #12,144 of 23,499
Has anybody tried the aftermarket cables from moon audio: black and blue with hd600? How's the sound?

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #12,148 of 23,499
Really? A lot of people swear to hear differences. Good for me because I can spend that money otherwise :)

I think it's 99% an illusion making you think it makes a difference, because you expect it to sound better/different. A bit like when people say coke tastes better straight from the can rather than served in a glass.

I bought the HD650 cable because it felt more sturdy than the original. Some say it has a warmer sound but I highly doubt it... :)

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #12,149 of 23,499
Really? A lot of people swear to hear differences. Good for me because I can spend that money otherwise :)

I think it's 99% an illusion making you think it makes a difference, because you expect it to sound better/different. A bit like when people say coke tastes better straight from the can rather than served in a glass.

I bought the HD650 cable because it felt more sturdy than the original. Some say it has a warmer sound but I highly doubt it... :)

People underestimate the power of the mind, you can change the whole perception of reality, you just have to believe in it.
Same principle with the cables, if you think they will sound better, they will at first perception, its like imediate burn in.
But at the end, no big diference.
Thats why i personally dont buy cables and stay with the manufacters ones, they where made for them and sound more musical. Of course a minimal nuance that i m talking here.
Only buy cables if need to replace a bad quality cable, like the one which comes with he500 for example.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #12,150 of 23,499
People underestimate the power of the mind, you can change the whole perception of reality, you just have to believe in it.
Same principle with the cables, if you think they will sound better, they will at first perception, its like imediate burn in.
But at the end, no big diference.
Thats why i personally dont buy cables and stay with the manufacters ones, they where made for them and sound more musical. Of course a minimal nuance that i m talking here.
Only buy cables if need to replace a bad quality cable, like the one which comes with he500 for example.

That HE500 cable is stiff and microphonic, and those yucky conectors on the earcups. But those cans sound great. The stock HD600 cable is both supple and free of microphonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back