Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #12,106 of 23,482
  I just bought the HD 600 and I have Asus xonar essence stx, the sound is good. Will the sound be better if I buy an amp? If so which amp should I buy?

There's non need to buy anything else. I've been using an Essence ST for about a year in the past to drive my HD600s and it did wonderfully. The only reason I had to change rig was that my new pc had no PCI slot.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #12,107 of 23,482
  The soundcard in question is not a cheap generic card it's a rather good one.
https://www.asus.com/Sound/Xonar_Essence_STX/

Yeah, I was speaking in regards to getting an amp, most with sound cards aren't really in need of an amp, but rather a DAC. However, in this case, you are correct that it very well might not be needed at all. I've seen the card before, and while I haven't listened to it, it's well-regarded as a very capable piece of kit.

All joking aside:

After looking at the specs on your sound card it looks pretty nice.It seems to have an amp built in already.
That said I`ve never actually heard one.

Here`s some more info from this site here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-stx

I would definitely taste any cool-aid before you continue to make further purchases.
Meaning: audition if possible.

Absolutely agreed with this. With a cheap sound card, I'd outright recommend to get new equipment. But since it's quite a high-quality one, definitely agree that an audition would go a long way.

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #12,108 of 23,482
  Just got my HD600s a couple days ago and I love them. Powering them with a Yamaha receiver. What are you guys powering yours with?

Project Polaris (wonderful). I have absolutely no complaints. I used a Vali before the Polaris and the Vali does not compare in the least. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #12,109 of 23,482

Project Polaris (wonderful). I have absolutely no complaints. I used a Vali before the Polaris and the Vali does not compare in the least. 

Yes. They also do not compare in price.
iFi Micro iCan is also much better than the Vali (which is the best amp for its price) for the price of two Valis.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #12,112 of 23,482
  Do you have a link to where I could look at the Project Polaris? Sounds interesting as the Yamaha is only a temporary solution

http://www.garage1217.com/

Polaris is essentially the solid state version of Project Ember, the tube amp. 
Both are very well liked. (If you don't want to play with tubes, and the added expense, just get Polaris). 

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #12,113 of 23,482
  Just got my HD600s a couple days ago and I love them. Powering them with a Yamaha receiver. What are you guys powering yours with?

Keces HA-171 for when I'm feeling SS and a Little Dot MKIII for tube duty. The Keces is amazing with them and the LD with Voshkod drivers is very good as well.
Just a great vintage classy sounding hp.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #12,114 of 23,482
Originally Posted by windoge89 

Multiple, typically in this order

Project Sunrise II 
Music Hall 25.3 
Fiio e12
Pioneer Elite SC-81 AVR

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #12,116 of 23,482
Hi

I'm listening a lot to female vocals.

Which headphone is better?

HD600     or X2

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #12,117 of 23,482
  Hi

I'm listening a lot to female vocals.

Which headphone is better?

HD600     or X2

HD600 IMHO. It has clearer midrange throughout and is a very nice headphone. HD650 would be even better for female vocals. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #12,118 of 23,482
  HD600 IMHO. It has clearer midrange throughout and is a very nice headphone. HD650 would be even better for female vocals. 
smily_headphones1.gif

But the hd600 should be more neutral...isnt' that better for vocals? Do you own both hd600 and 650?

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #12,119 of 23,482
Guys, I'm in a big trouble regarding my HD 600s right now. For some reason the right side sounds louder than the left. The sound coming out of the left side is nearly nonexistent, while the right side is completely fine. Could it be the drivers? I've taken both earcups apart to see the drivers, removed the spring and took it back. I've tried different cables for it, not a solution. Different amplifier + DAC, not a solution either. Well apart from obviously getting an entirely new driver, what could it be?

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #12,120 of 23,482
  Guys, I'm in a big trouble regarding my HD 600s right now. For some reason the right side sounds louder than the left. The sound coming out of the left side is nearly nonexistent, while the right side is completely fine. Could it be the drivers? I've taken both earcups apart to see the drivers, removed the spring and took it back. I've tried different cables for it, not a solution. Different amplifier + DAC, not a solution either. Well apart from obviously getting an entirely new driver, what could it be?

Did you measure the cables for resistance/continuity? Did you try plugging the cable ends into the opposite earcups to see if that switches the dead sound? Did you measure the resistance of the drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back