Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #12,092 of 23,482
About 11:30 (to elsewhere
evil_smiley.gif
)On has some phantasmic implications....

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #12,094 of 23,482
iFi Micro iDSD here

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #12,095 of 23,482
Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 Plus.

Listening to Weezer now. Sounds a treat. :)

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #12,097 of 23,482
I was listening through the Blue Album.

Everything sounds great on the HD600. But if I had to choose, I'd say classic rock, especially The Beatles, brings these babies to life like nothing else.

That may just be personal preference, as Classic Rock is my favorite genre. :)

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #12,098 of 23,482
After listening to over 10 pairs of the HD 600s, I am pretty positive I prefer these over the HD 650s. I also like the fact that they have a better paint coat which seems less prone to chipping.

HD650s with Cardas Cables and an amp sound pretty good. It seems like they have the highest ceiling under those circumstances.

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #12,100 of 23,482
  I just bought the HD 600 and I have Asus xonar essence stx, the sound is good. Will the sound be better if I buy an amp? If so which amp should I buy?

Does it play loudly without distortion? Same for bass.
Do loud piano notes play without distortion on the peaks/attacks? Same for other similar instruments with sharp attacks.
Do you like iits sound?
Answer these questions and you'll probably have an answer about should you "buy another amp".

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #12,101 of 23,482
  Does it play loudly without distortion? Same for bass.
Do loud piano notes play without distortion on the peaks/attacks? Same for other similar instruments with sharp attacks.
Do you like iits sound?
Answer these questions and you'll probably have an answer about should you "buy another amp".

I personally think that the issue with sound cards usually isn't the amp half, but the DAC half, at least for most headphones out there. Some are pretty power demanding, but most, HD600 included, can be run fine from the amp on a sound card. DAC though, that's a different matter...

And in case others were wondering, I'm using a Topping D20 for my DAC and a Topping TP30mkII for my amp.

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #12,102 of 23,482

I personally think that the issue with sound cards usually isn't the amp half, but the DAC half, at least for most headphones out there. Some are pretty power demanding, but most, HD600 included, can be run fine from the amp on a sound card. DAC though, that's a different matter...

And in case others were wondering, I'm using a Topping D20 for my DAC and a Topping TP30mkII for my amp.

The soundcard in question is not a cheap generic card it's a rather good one.
https://www.asus.com/Sound/Xonar_Essence_STX/

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #12,104 of 23,482

You definitely should buy THE MOST EXPENSIVE tube amp available to man.
Especially if the brand sponsors important audiophile magazines.

tongue.gif

See proof:

But despite the transistor's now-obvious-to-us shortcomings, by 1963 even the most steadfast tube-supporting firms had introduced solid-state components. Harman Kardon used the phrase which I've always attributed to Stu Hegeman, "Straight wire with gain." in their ads for their first solid-state, Stu Hegeman-designed pre-amp, the Citation A. I once owned one. It was not a sonic knockout. But the Citation A had a marvelous circuit layout that employed easily removable sub-circuit boards. They slid in and out of the main chassis so that faulty transistors (of which there were far too many at first) could be easily replaced.

With transistors and receivers you have the devil's backbone of what came to be known as the mid-fi market. Stores like Harvey's Electronics, The Audio Exchange, and Sam Goody's ran weekly adds in the back of the entertainment section of the New York Times with pre-packaged stereo systems consisting of a turntable, cartridge, receiver, speakers, and the wires to hook them all together for either $299, $399, or $499. My first stereo came from Sam Goody's. It had a Scott solid-state receiver that blew up after only five minutes. When I brought it back to Goody's the salesman up-sold me to a Harman Kardon Nocturne receiver I had that receiver from high school through college. Everyone else I knew had something similar. That's a lot of Garrard turntablesPickering cartridges, and AR 4x speakers going from apartment to apartment.

Quoted from here:

http://audiophilereview.com/the-history-of-high-end-audio.html

You see: "obvious shortcomings"
The next paragraph even alludes to the "devil" 
evil_smiley.gif

lol...

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #12,105 of 23,482
  I just bought the HD 600 and I have Asus xonar essence stx, the sound is good. Will the sound be better if I buy an amp? If so which amp should I buy?

All joking aside:

After looking at the specs on your sound card it looks pretty nice.It seems to have an amp built in already.
That said I`ve never actually heard one.

Here`s some more info from this site here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-stx

I would definitely taste any cool-aid before you continue to make further purchases.
Meaning: audition if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

• JM
Back