Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #11,011 of 23,430
  Im also using Fiio X3 with E12 amp. Pure joy. I was looking at the mod thread last night but really can't see doing anything at this point. If they get any better with burnin I'm in big trouble. I can't take them off as it is . I had to use my on ear Momentums for a while late last night in bed as not to disturb my girlfriend. They sounded good but the 600s a whole different world. They even sound fantastic with my Sandisk Clip Zip Rockeboxed with FiioE6 amp. That little setup still amazes me.

Try the Clip with the E12, it's much better than the E6. That E12 can kick out an amazing amount of power for a portable.

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #11,012 of 23,430
  Try the Clip with the E12, it's much better than the E6. That E12 can kick out an amazing amount of power for a portable.

I plan on that at some point been on my list. It might just be me but I swear that damn little E6 has better soundstage than the E12. The 12 way way better overall  of course.

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #11,013 of 23,430
Hello Bobby, I really appreciate your comment! Now I am seriously considering one of those tube amps; maybe leaning towards the MK3 or maybe an even newer MK4 I noticed had come out. But if you don't mind, would please tell me: How did you become aware of these amps working well on the HD 600? (tried it, owned it, read about it, or where did you read about that)? And which of these 2 would you recommend; or which sonic qualities do each of these have versus the other one? Thanks much again

PS- if anybody knows a good and affordable DAC that works well with the HD 600 and a tube amp, that would be cool to know also!
Hi Levi,my system is:peachtree Dac itX(amazing with ESS Sabre 9012 chipset),Little Dot MK3,HD600 and PC of course!
If you can afford just go straight away to the LD MK4 or MK4 SE,better components,good volum pot,etc(though MK3 is v.good sounding)!
About the DarkVoice 336 i've seen a lot of good reviews even compared with LD MK3(here or on MassDrop)!

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #11,014 of 23,430
I think either of those amps are really nice and well suited for HD600/HD650.

If you want something different, give a look into Garage1217 amps; with the top of the line named Ember you have an hybrid amp without overall feedback (NOS), with auto bias and with 2 pre-outs for connecting to other speakers using only 1 volume control.

:wink:

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #11,016 of 23,430
  I think either of those amps are really nice and well suited for HD600/HD650.

If you want something different, give a look into Garage1217 amps; with the top of the line named Ember you have an hybrid amp without overall feedback (NOS), with auto bias and with 2 pre-outs for connecting to other speakers using only 1 volume control.

:wink:

I agree, I have a Project Sunrise II from Garage1217 and I love it. They can be bought pre-built or in kit form if you enjoy building things yourself and want to save a few bucks. It is not my only amp atm and a few others have come and gone but that thing is going nowhere (unless I replace it with another g1217 amp). I have an hd600 on the way and look forward to hearing the two together.

currently  PC (jriver)-->Music Hall 25.3 DAC (unbalanced tube outputs; used stock EH6922 replaced with Mullard)-->Project Sunrise II (PSVANE 12AU7)---> Headphone

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #11,017 of 23,430
I've heard my HD600 with the O2, Beresford Capella, Little Dot MKIII and the Keces HA-171.
They sound fantastic with the LD MKIII (Voskhod tubes) and crazy good with the Keces. The Capella also sounds very good with them. I didn't like them with the O2 in my setup.
These headphone are very refined sounding and extremely easy to listen to. The LD with the Voskhods is tough to beat sound wise but the Keces really brings out the best in them and it would be tough to pick between the two. If you held a gun to my head I'd probably have to go with the Keces. The member I purchased the Keces from also had the HD600's. I found the amp here but don't know how often they come up.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #11,018 of 23,430
I've heard my HD600 with the O2, Beresford Capella, Little Dot MKIII and the Keces HA-171.
They sound fantastic with the LD MKIII (Voskhod tubes) and crazy good with the Keces. The Capella also sounds very good with them. I didn't like them with the O2 in my setup.
These headphone are very refined sounding and extremely easy to listen to. The LD with the Voskhods is tough to beat sound wise but the Keces really brings out the best in them and it would be tough to pick between the two. If you held a gun to my head I'd probably have to go with the Keces. The member I purchased the Keces from also had the HD600's. I found the amp here but don't know how often they come up.

You said the HD 600's sound fantastic / crazy good with different tubes on the LD MKIII, so then did you mean that you still like the Keces better? But it looks like that one's not available anyway, so it would likely just be a choice between the LD MKIII or FiiO E12 DIY version.
Thanks very much everybody - this knowledge benefits all of us too.

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #11,019 of 23,430
New facts about my HD600:
The highs and lows seems magnetized into the mids, making a "thicker" mids? If the singer is going to belt his highest note, he will do it slowly or delicately that seems the singer is concerned about damaging the ears of mine. He likes to protect my hearing. Is this the smooth highs? Also, the drum roll in the music is also done so delicately,so that it will not overpower the vocals. HD600, a funny headphone.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #11,021 of 23,430
OK, am I missing something here?  Seems to take a lot of effort to adjust the height of the earcups (pull the metal out of the headband). 

I think i already scratched the metal a bit. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #11,024 of 23,430
Alright, that follows my findings as well.  I just set it and left it. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #11,025 of 23,430
I was anal enough to count the clicks though.  Just in case they move.  
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back