Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #10,096 of 23,455
  I posted this on the Deals Discussion Thread also :
Just went on HeadRoom site and they have the Senns HD600 on for $349.95 reg. price $399.95

Apparently they go for $316 on Amazon so forget the above.  My bad.  Just trying to help if someone is looking for a pair. 
blink.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #10,097 of 23,455
The nice thing about the O2 is that you get a trial period. So it would cost you very little (I think you have to pay postage) to try it.
This is a nice article about its design and designer.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/profiles/nwavguy-the-audio-genius-who-vanished
It appeals to me to use a product that was disruptive to the industry.

thanks
NFB-15 easily.

thanks

I would add that swapping Magni for Vali is another great option, but this is probably less of a dilemma now that we have the next generation of Magni with the extra bells and whistles.  Vali has no preamp out, nor a gain switch, and won't power everything you throw at it from IEMs to planars like Magni can.  Not to mention visuals if your DAC is Modi 2 Uber - the metal will match with Magni 2 Uber only.

Then again... TOOBZ TOOBZ and Vali pairs superbly with the HD600.

thanks

ODAC/O² Easily
redface.gif

More seriously @ sonic2911

ODAC/O² separetely = > "transportable setup" , no drivers , ODAC is USB powered , and O² has is inbuilt battery , if a part fail you still have the DAC or amp working . ODAC/O² Combo drivers less, and the most compact of the lot .

Schiit Combos => Great Looking (well subjective ) , more power for some hungry planars , as for ODAC/O² separetely if a part fail you still have the other , spdif inputs and preamp ...

A-GD => even more power than Schiit offering , preamp function , spdif input as well  , and a all in one solution if you prefer this kind of way .

(As for power requirement for planar i think that O² is fine with most of them :xf_eek:) .

thanks

Gotta say I love my garage 1217 amps with my hd600. Project Polaris (solid state) and project Starlight (hybrid) both sound lush and beautiful. I have the 02 and Magni as well. I don't like the Magni with the hd600 as it sounds bright to my ears. The o2 is very neutral and doesn't sound as bright to me as the Magni. My project Starlight is my favourite with the hd600 as I can change the tube and overall it sounds lush and smooth with the hd600. Project Polaris is almost as good as the Starlight, with the benefit of being a simple solid state for someone new to amps.

My recommend is that everyone should have am o2 as a benchmark neutral amp to be able to compare with, but the garage 1217 amps are absolutely a gem to use with the hd600.

thanks

The schiit stack sound bright, the odac/o2 sound neutral and the nfb-15 sound dark, right?

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #10,100 of 23,455
  Anywhere online where I can order new HD 600 replacement grills...Came home from school and found my headphones on the floor with a dent in the Right Grill........Last person at the desk: My dad

When I ordered a replacement grill last year, I wasn't able to find a way to order it online. I had to call them (Sennheiser).  The number is 1-(877)-736-6434 and that's toll free.

The grill is expensive ($35 I think) and when I ordered it was out of stock. I had to wait a month. Hope you have better luck.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #10,101 of 23,455

When I ordered a replacement grill last year, I wasn't able to find a way to order it online. I had to call them (Sennheiser).  The number is 1-(877)-736-6434 and that's toll free.

The grill is expensive ($35 I think) and when I ordered it was out of stock. I had to wait a month. Hope you have better luck.

Wow I read that they were 10 bucks a piece.. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #10,104 of 23,455
[quote name="sonic2911" url="/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-impressions-thread/
The schiit stack sound bright, the odac/o2 sound neutral and the nfb-15 sound dark, right?
[/quote]

Not everyone is going to agree that the Magni is bright, but I think you got it right.

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #10,105 of 23,455
Been coming here for a long time and finally signed up.

I've had my HD600 for about a year now and I flat out love them but after getting the Hifiman HM-601LE and having it hooked up to the Schiit Vali the HD600 sound pretty much perfect imo. Mids sound so full and lush along with better bass and an over all fuller sound that I like so much I use them probably twice as much as my HE-400 and DT990 Pro now.

Anyways I wanted to go ahead and get the first post under my belt and I look forward to being apart of this community that I've come to enjoy. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #10,106 of 23,455
Anyways I wanted to go ahead and get the first post under my belt and I look forward to being apart of this community that I've come to enjoy. 

Welcome. Its traditional around here to say "and sorry about your wallet !"
I've got a bit of a twist on that. "Be careful of your wallet!".
It's very easy on here to get carried away! :)

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #10,107 of 23,455
[quote name="sonic2911" url="/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-impressions-thread/

Not everyone is going to agree that the Magni is bright, but I think you got it right.[/quote]

I've compared it using an A/B switch with other amps not deemed to be bright and did not find that to be the case. I believe one needs to compare on the spot, volume matched, in order to make such determinations.

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #10,108 of 23,455
Stan, where can I find an a/b switch like that? I just find the magni to be a tad bright, can't help shaking that impression. I know the magni is 5x gain and I use my o2 at 2.5x gain, maybe that is it?

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #10,110 of 23,455
  Stan, where can I find an a/b switch like that? I just find the magni to be a tad bright, can't help shaking that impression. I know the magni is 5x gain and I use my o2 at 2.5x gain, maybe that is it?

You can make one if you're into DIY stuff. Pretty sure Stan made his. This is the one I ended up making. I compared the Lyr 2 to the original Magni. At first, they sounded exactly the same. Over time, I began to notice very small differences that made the Magni sound 5% leaner. The difference was extremely marginal with my headphones and DAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back