Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #9,931 of 23,482
I was just experimenting with the EQ and tried to balance that mid-bass hump. It now sounds less muddy and almost perfect for my tastes. I'm linking the file for anyone to try. The EQ'ing was done with Golden Ears' readings as reference.
http://www.filedropper.com/hd600flat

Note: The file is for Electri-Q for Foobar.

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #9,932 of 23,482
I was just experimenting with the EQ and tried to balance that mid-bass hump. It now sounds less muddy and almost perfect for my tastes. I'm linking the file for anyone to try. The EQ'ing was done with Golden Ears' readings as reference.
http://www.filedropper.com/hd600flat

Note: The file is for Electri-Q for Foobar.

I had to check the thread title to see that you were not talking about the IE8's. Now there is a midbass hump! I don't feel the need for EQ with the 600's. That's just me though. We are all different. And special:wink:

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #9,933 of 23,482
I had to check the thread title to see that you were not talking about the IE8's. Now there is a midbass hump! I don't feel the need for EQ with the 600's. That's just me though. We are all different. And special:wink:

Haha! I agree that they are amazing as they are, but this was an attempt at removing that veil (as some people might say) and bring it closer to the reference sound. It sounds more transparent. I think of it as a midpoint between the original and the foam-modded HD600. Anyways, I respect your preferences and just shared so people could partake in this fun experiment.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #9,934 of 23,482
I have to admit if there wasn't a graph showing me a midbass hump I would not hear it. I would just hear the subbass dropoff. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #9,935 of 23,482
  I have to admit if there wasn't a graph showing me a midbass hump I would not hear it. I would just hear the subbass dropoff. 

If you discard the extended sub bass below 30 Hz, it isn't all that bad. around 3 dB above the zero baseline.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #9,937 of 23,482

If you discard the extended sub bass below 30 Hz, it isn't all that bad. around 3 dB above the zero baseline.

I mean I've seen the graph, but my ears don't tell me it's there. I'm just sitting back heavily impressed with how well they work with almost anything I throw at 'em. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #9,939 of 23,482
But on fast paced music you can really great it coming in the way. Again, it might be personal preference, but I like it better without that slight hump.

You can always EQ such a small hump. 3 dB is what most people begin to notice. Perhaps your issue is with transient response or damping/inertia. What are you using for an amp?

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #9,940 of 23,482

I mean I've seen the graph, but my ears don't tell me it's there. I'm just sitting back heavily impressed with how well they work with almost anything I throw at 'em. 

Like I said, 3 dBA is just where most people start to notice things. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #9,941 of 23,482
You can always EQ such a small hump. 3 dB is what most people begin to notice. Perhaps your issue is with transient response or damping/inertia. What are you using for an amp?

You're on point. I'm a metalhead and mostly, recordings aren't very good. I use a Fiio E9/E7 combo (older version) btw.

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #9,942 of 23,482
You're on point. I'm a metalhead and mostly, recordings aren't very good. I use a Fiio E9/E7 combo (older version) btw.

Yep, I believe most metal has scooped mids or "U" or "V" shaped responses. Do you prefer a basshead type of can that doesn't sacrifice treble?

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #9,944 of 23,482
  Like I said, 3 dBA is just where most people start to notice things. I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh I wasn't trying to denigrate the headphones, more like say how the graph can make it seem like there's more of an imbalance than my ears tell me. Like you said, the hump is fairly minor and damn hard to hear.

Actually, bass is the least important to me out of the 3 ranges. I like a balanced/flat pair of cans.

I'd argue that if you like flat cans, then bass is equally important to the other two. :wink: 

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #9,945 of 23,482
Actually, bass is the least important to me out of the 3 ranges. I like a balanced/flat pair of cans.

You will probably never find a perfectly flat pair of cans, or anything near perfect. The HD600's are considered neutral with a talent for mids. That talent for mids is probably not what a metalhead is going to look for as it will undo some of that scoop. You might like a planar magnetic, like an HE-500. Just guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back