Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #9,901 of 23,497
  I'm curious what they'll do to someone who's used to M100s and LCD-2.2's. Will I feel like my music has been awoken, or that it's lost power and oomph? Will the sound be an epiphany or a disappointment? Will I hear it as "free" or as "thin"?

I've not heard the LCD2's, but I'm in the market for them; hoping a good sale will pop up this year. From what I understand, the LCD2 is hard to beat when it comes to just sitting back and enjoying the music. That's mainly how I listen, I'm not really into critical listening (yet.) But the HD600's are keeping me happy now. I'm really happy with the bass response, when I got them I thought they would be too light for me, but it really delivers if the song asks for it. They are almost on equal ground with my HE400 with EDM, especially if the song has female vocals.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #9,902 of 23,497
Okay HD600s first impressions. This is with the LCD-2.2s in memory and the X1's still in my arsenal. I should say I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface as an "amp" and it seems to be doing an admirable job. 

1) Holy crap this cable is long.

2) The bass is lighter than the Audeze and Philips. No way around it. But that comes with an asterisk. In the case of the Audeze, this mainly shows up in the subbass because the Audeze had that ridiculous ruler-flat extension from 1000Hz all the way down to freaking 5Hz. Versus the X1s, it leaves the HD600s feeling less "thick". I'm not calling this a negative. For a lot of music you will not find yourself going "where's the bass" by any stretch even if you come from the aforementioned. The "veil" is almost an anti-veil if you're accustomed to warm headphones. 

3) Honestly the first word that pops in mind is VOCALS. Any voice-prominent music just WOKE UP here. I recall having this feeling with the Audeze as well, because although those were warm versus the neutral feel here, mids weren't recessed. As for the highs, nothing superlative, but nothing bad. They're there and they do what they should.

4) These are way more "wearable" than either the Audeze or X1. By a longshot. They're light, the clamp is awesome, and I can move around without dislodging them. It's a similar idea to my experience with the HD800 where they're like a big ol' helmet that makes music. I just love how much of the head these things cover.

5) I don't think I'm the kind of person to talk about soundstage, because I have no clue how this ranks. Just that everything sounds pleasantly spaced out. I mean no matter what there are speakers less than inch from my ears, I never felt like any headphone was "spacious" per se. These are quite "roomy" I suppose. It's never something that really pops out to me.

6) For gaming and movies I feel like these will just be a case of ohhhhhhh lord yes. Fired up two games and some quick movies on Netflix. Loved 'em all. Much more "transparent", like these headphones weren't trying to get in my way and were just going to let me listen to what's on screen without much coloration.

7) These things just look sharp. I don't care what anyone says. They're visually attractive. I love the marbled look.

All in all,  these are seriously fantastic. For $260 I cannot find fault. Are they better than the X1? I think so. In nearly every regard beyond the X1 having more bass (and even that's not a plus or minus inherently). The LCD-2.2? Of course not, that's not really fair. However, I don't feel, owning these, any yearning for those summit-fi levels any more. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #9,905 of 23,497
  There is a guy selling some hd600s in the for sale thread and he states that the hd600 is no longer made in Ireland.I have not heard this before nor can any find any info to support this claim.Is this true?

I highly doubt it.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #9,906 of 23,497

I highly doubt it.

Ditto
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #9,908 of 23,497
I've been in possesion of my HD600s for a couple weeks.  They've really grown on me, and I think the burn in process has really made a positive impact.  Just recently received the Magni 2, and they sound even better.  I feel confident even mixing with these.  I recently noticed they added braille on the left side -- so thoughtful.

I'm looking forward to purchasing the HD800s in a year or two.  Hopefully they don't go out of production by then...  

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #9,909 of 23,497
I haven't had to post my impressions yet...but after comparing HD600s against HD650s with the Vali/Modi2Uber combo...600s were the clear and undisputed winner for my personal tastes.  650s in the meantime were relegated to the Classifieds fate Hahaha  I will try to post pictures and brief comments later (including comparisons to some other headphones); though I don't think it will be anything that hasn't already been said before 11nthybillion times. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #9,910 of 23,497
I've been in possesion of my HD600s for a couple weeks.  They've really grown on me, and I think the burn in process has really made a positive impact.  Just recently received the Magni 2, and they sound even better.  I feel confident even mixing with these.  I recently noticed they added braille on the left side -- so thoughtful.

I'm looking forward to purchasing the HD800s in a year or two.  Hopefully they don't go out of production by then...  

If and when the hd800 goes out of production, then that would probably mean they replaced it with a new version. In which case the 800's price will come down

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #9,912 of 23,497
  I haven't had to post my impressions yet...but after comparing HD600s against HD650s with the Vali/Modi2Uber combo...600s were the clear and undisputed winner for my personal tastes.  650s in the meantime were relegated to the Classifieds fate Hahaha  I will try to post pictures and brief comments later (including comparisons to some other headphones); though I don't think it will be anything that hasn't already been said before 11nthybillion times. 

I'm enjoying my 600's so much right now, I can't imagine a headphone that sounds better
biggrin.gif

Daft Punk's Random Access Memories is SOOO GOOD

It feels great to be happy and not want to buy anything haha

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #9,913 of 23,497
  I'm enjoying my 600's so much right now, I can't imagine a headphone that sounds better
biggrin.gif

Daft Punk's Random Access Memories is SOOO GOOD

It feels great to be happy and not want to buy anything haha

Yeah, 600's dragged out, beat up and left 650s bloodied and twitching when it came to vocals and EDC for me Hahahaha

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #9,914 of 23,497

I have a pair of HD 650's coming in as well as an HRT Music Streamer HD DAC. I compared the two(my HD 600 and my friends HD 650) on my current system a few weeks back and I preferred the HD 650 slightly. I'm curious if it will be the same after the new DAC and with more time to compare the two. I will post my impressions here and the HD 650 thread after letting the HD 650 break in and getting adjusted to them and my new system.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #9,915 of 23,497
  I have a pair of HD 650's coming in as well as an HRT Music Streamer HD DAC. I compared the two(my HD 600 and my friends HD 650) on my current system a few weeks back and I preferred the HD 650 slightly. I'm curious if it will be the same after the new DAC and with more time to compare the two. I will post my impressions here and the HD 650 thread after letting the HD 650 break in and getting adjusted to them and my new system.

That's what I like about this hobby; everyone is unique. When it comes to people's senses, there is no "best option," like there would be for, say a computer part. It's completely subjective and unique to each individual, like taste. All too often my taste buds clash with others, that doesn't make one dish better. Same with heaphones. Going through the search to find the setup we like best is pretty much a rite of passage, with dissapointments based on our expectations from hearing other people's opinions along the way... That's why I always take reviews with a grain of salt and want to hear something for myself before making a final decision. But reviews give you a good place to start
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back