Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #9,871 of 23,482

The cable will use all 3 colors, one for each channel, left, right, ground. I was going to braid them together. Normally when I'm dressing myself, I avoid navy blue and black, IMO both being dark colors looks really bad, but I thought it would work for the cable... I never thought about the badges being blue, but yeah they're much lighter.. Gah!

I think a combination of the 3 will be rock solid. What brands are all the parts you use? I would love to do something similar. Is there maybe a guide or something?

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #9,874 of 23,482

I don't see why not.

If the cable becomes faulty during the warranty period, I'd expect Sennheiser to replace it for you  (assuming you didn't do anything to damage it!)

Oh, I see. Thank you for letting me know. A stupid question but, who exactly do I need to contact? The store I got the headphones from? I only received a receipt from them which I still have, but there is nothing about warranty on them. I apologize for being so confused, I've never dealt with this kind of stuff.

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #9,875 of 23,482

Oh, I see. Thank you for letting me know. A stupid question but, who exactly do I need to contact? The store I got the headphones from? I only received a receipt from them which I still have, but there is nothing about warranty on them. I apologize for being so confused, I've never dealt with this kind of stuff.

I think it depends on the trading regulations of the country you live in.

Here in the UK, I'd probably go to the store first, and then, if the store won't or can't help, I'd speak to Sennehiser. 

You can contact Sennehiser about repairs through their website (this is the UK version, so you'll need to find your local equivalent): http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/service-support-headphone-repair-premium

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #9,876 of 23,482

I think it depends on the trading regulations of the country you live in.

Here in the UK, I'd probably go to the store first, and then, if the store won't or can't help, I'd speak to Sennehiser. 

You can contact Sennehiser about repairs through their website (this is the UK version, so you'll need to find your local equivalent): http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/service-support-headphone-repair-premium

That's all I needed to know.

I really appreciate all of your help so far. :)

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #9,878 of 23,482
"Best Audiophile Voices" CD sounds good I think with HD600. Saxophone has body, guitar strings so well, and the voices are lovely. Female voices are filled with drama. These experiences are simply good with HD600.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #9,879 of 23,482
I was planning to read the whole thread before asking questions, but after reading 147 pages and seeing lots of repeating info, I hope this okay to jump in:

I bought my HD600s "lightly used". Now I can't confirm exactly what that means, but their overall condition is very good so I am inclined to accept the seller at his word. That said, I'm wondering about the firmness of the earpads. In November I bought the HD598, and those earpads are very firm, with very little give on the head. In comparison, the HD600 pads are a lot softer. They don't squish to nothing, but there's a big difference.

This also affects the relative experience of using them; I love the HD598 wide soundstage, and the HD600 definitely is lesser in that regard -- more intimate I guess. Physically (I assume due to the earpads), the HD600 feels more pressed in. Would new 600 earpads be a lot firmer, like the 598s? If so, how long would that firmness take to soften up through regular use?

Thanks for any input!

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #9,880 of 23,482
Hard to tell about the earpads without seeing/feeling yours, but always nice with a pair of new pads. Firmness only affects comfort and bass level, soundstage wont be affected at all.

The HD600 do have a narrow soundstage, it's not one of it's strengths, on the other hand so does it have very nice "timbre" and accuracy in sound and good ambience reproduction. I guess you cant have it all.

Personally I prefer my HD600 the most for relaxed listening, as neither the sound nor the comfort is annoying in any way  :wink:

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #9,881 of 23,482
  Hard to tell about the earpads without seeing/feeling yours, but always nice with a pair of new pads. Firmness only affects comfort and bass level, soundstage wont be affected at all.

The HD600 do have a narrow soundstage, it's not one of it's strengths, on the other hand so does it have very nice "timbre" and accuracy in sound and good ambience reproduction. I guess you cant have it all.

Personally I prefer my HD600 the most for relaxed listening, as neither the sound nor the comfort is annoying in any way  :wink:

Thanks for the reply, xeizo! I guess I assumed the soundstage would improve a bit if the drivers were a little farther from my ears (due to firmer earpads), but then I don't know much about the technical details of sound reproduction.

I'm a little torn with the 598 and 600. The 600 definitely outclasses the 598 in almost every aspect, but the soundstage. I mainly use headphones for movies and TV, with music being secondary, and it feels like the soundstage is important for the movie experience. The 598 is awesome for that, but lacks bass, whereas the 600 has more bass -- a definite plus for movies.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #9,882 of 23,482
For movies the 598 may well be the better choice, it has a wider soundstage and sounds pretty good overall. The HD600 are more of a monitoring-for-music-production type of a headphone. To get HD600-quality - and with a wider soundstage - may not be that easy. But I would also audition the Beyer Dynamics DT880/990 and Philips Fidelio X2 as serious alternatives fitting your use scenario.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #9,883 of 23,482
X1 owner with a set of HD600s incoming. I was curious for a set with a little less "thick" bass. I adore my X1s but was feeling in the mood for something less tilted. Hopefully these will scratch the itch. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #9,884 of 23,482
I have HD600 and X2. I love my HD600 for music, but don't little the X2 very much for music. For movies and tv the reverse is true, I love the X2s extra bass and amazingly wide soundstage for movies. If movies are your priority I would very highly recommend Philips X2. Like a lot:)

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #9,885 of 23,482
  For movies the 598 may well be the better choice, it has a wider soundstage and sounds pretty good overall. The HD600 are more of a monitoring-for-music-production type of a headphone. To get HD600-quality - and with a wider soundstage - may not be that easy. But I would also audition the Beyer Dynamics DT880/990 and Philips Fidelio X2 as serious alternatives fitting your use scenario.

I was afraid of that -- that I'd need to audition even more headphones before making my final decision. My wife already thinks I'm crazy (other than a new receiver last year, I haven't made a significant audio purchase in 8 or 9 years, and she was busy with school at the time and didn't notice my "process" as much).

Thanks for your input. I'll keep and enjoy the HD600s for now, and watch for used listings for those other models. Seems pretty easy overall to buy and try, then sell for not much loss, in this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back