Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #9,857 of 23,450
I'm getting pain in my jaw due to the tension in headband. This ever happened to anyone here?

The HD600/650 is the only headphone I bought and sold 4 times in total (combined between the two; 650 3 times, 600 once).  Each time was due to its comfort which I ultimately couldn't stand no matter what I tried to make it more comfy.  I always loved the sound of the HD650 in particular (more so than HD600 as it didn't have that slight 4k peak that bothered me a bit sonically) and if it was comfortable enough for me it honestly would have never left the stable because I really love the sound of it that much. But each time it caused so much pressure on my jawline; it laid against the points in my jaw that ultimately caused them to ache after about half an hour mark, and cause a headache by the hour mark. And no amount of stretching of the metal band could fix the problem... I literally once bent it so much that the bars actually had a visible angle in which they bent outwards... this helped a bit, but over time the pain from the pressure just came back. One problem I noticed with it was that it doesn't really have much much of a horizontal swivel, so I couldn't ever relieve the pressure far away enough from my jawline. But ultimately I realized that the main culprit was the oval shape of the cups; practically any headphone with similar oval shape caused the same problem for me and that includes the lower Senn models like 558 and 598 which clamp less. They just lined up badly with the part of my jaw that was the most sensitive. Funny thing is that the LCD-2's, which has as much clamping force if not more than HD650, is heavier, and in general is often said to be MORE uncomfortable than the HD650, was perfectly comfortable for me... and that's when I realized that it was shape of the cups that didn't play well with my jawline and not really anything else.  It's really a shame because I honestly really do think that these models sound top notch.  

So my recommendation is to try different length of adjustments, play around with positioning of the cups (try wearing the headband further back of the head or more forward), and also to bend the metal bands outwards to relieve clamping pressure and see if it gets better for you. If it doesn't, then you may just have the same problem as I do... in which case I don't think there is much you can do about it, unfortunately.

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #9,858 of 23,450
HD600 for 260 on Adorama now.

http://www.adorama.com/SEHD600.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=wDjw1YywAWWZ2jYVXwSnOVkYUkVzrwRR3VVxyk0&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905&utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot+provided

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #9,859 of 23,450

..... and then finally ..... the car ! (in a few years of course)

You guys are terrifying me!
wink.gif

I'm almost at page 100 in this thread... Long way to go! I bought used hd600s last week, loving them so far with no amp. O2 is on the way, though.

bwr827 mine are grown up, I went through what you're going to ..... he he he ..... you ain't seen nothin' yet !!!! 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #9,860 of 23,450
  HD600 for 260 on Adorama now.

http://www.adorama.com/SEHD600.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=wDjw1YywAWWZ2jYVXwSnOVkYUkVzrwRR3VVxyk0&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905&utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot+provided

So did you finally pull the trigger? Or just window shopping?

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #9,861 of 23,450
  So did you finally pull the trigger? Or just window shopping?

I just got myself $800+ IEM, not sure my wallet/wife is going to approve another impulse purchase. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #9,863 of 23,450
Jan 11, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #9,865 of 23,450
  You get them yet? I want to hear about your thoughts of them.

Yes, I got them few days ago. They sound great, but I'm having a hard time finding a good, comfortable fit with either OEM or Westone tips. My ear canals are really tight and everything is just too large. That's the biggest PITA about IEMs - finding a good fit, never an issue with full size cans. Looks like I'll have to order some custom sleeves (Sensaphonics)... There goes my money again. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #9,866 of 23,450

Yes, I got them few days ago. They sound great, but I'm having a hard time finding a good, comfortable fit with either OEM or Westone tips. My ear canals are really tight and everything is just too large. That's the biggest PITA about IEMs - finding a good fit, never an issue with full size cans. Looks like I'll have to order some custom sleeves (Sensaphonics)... There goes my money again. 
biggrin.gif

I have the opposite problem, my ear canals are like the grand canyon, huge bass ports. I have to get some of those large memory foam tips.
I just prefer headphones.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #9,867 of 23,450

The HD600/650 is the only headphone I bought and sold 4 times in total (combined between the two; 650 3 times, 600 once).  Each time was due to its comfort which I ultimately couldn't stand no matter what I tried to make it more comfy.  I always loved the sound of the HD650 in particular (more so than HD600 as it didn't have that slight 4k peak that bothered me a bit sonically) and if it was comfortable enough for me it honestly would have never left the stable because I really love the sound of it that much. But each time it caused so much pressure on my jawline; it laid against the points in my jaw that ultimately caused them to ache after about half an hour mark, and cause a headache by the hour mark. And no amount of stretching of the metal band could fix the problem... I literally once bent it so much that the bars actually had a visible angle in which they bent outwards... this helped a bit, but over time the pain from the pressure just came back. One problem I noticed with it was that it doesn't really have much much of a horizontal swivel, so I couldn't ever relieve the pressure far away enough from my jawline. But ultimately I realized that the main culprit was the oval shape of the cups; practically any headphone with similar oval shape caused the same problem for me and that includes the lower Senn models like 558 and 598 which clamp less. They just lined up badly with the part of my jaw that was the most sensitive. Funny thing is that the LCD-2's, which has as much clamping force if not more than HD650, is heavier, and in general is often said to be MORE uncomfortable than the HD650, was perfectly comfortable for me... and that's when I realized that it was shape of the cups that didn't play well with my jawline and not really anything else.  It's really a shame because I honestly really do think that these models sound top notch.  

So my recommendation is to try different length of adjustments, play around with positioning of the cups (try wearing the headband further back of the head or more forward), and also to bend the metal bands outwards to relieve clamping pressure and see if it gets better for you. If it doesn't, then you may just have the same problem as I do... in which case I don't think there is much you can do about it, unfortunately.

I find the slight peak at 4khz is what bothers me about the HD 600 as well which is why I plan on getting the HD 650. I have no complaints about the HD 600's sound otherwise but sadly it fatigues me a bit due to that peak and when my ears are fatigued my ears get stuffy, when I compared them to the HD 650, I found the HD 650 didn't bother my ears and because of this the HD 650 sounded consistently clearer to my ears. It seems like anything with peaks or elevations in the upper midrange and lower treble bother me. I haven't had much luck with headphones not bothering me sonically over time. Only one headphone I have owned doesn't sonically aggravate my ears and has the level of refinement I desire in a headphone and that's the DT 150, the closed-back stuffiness bothers me when it's warm or hot inside but that's about it. I've come to realize the upper midrange and lower treble has to be shelved a little bit for me to be happy, I don't mind some upper treble energy though as long as it's not a little too much like on the DT 990.

I plan on getting a new DAC really soon and I'm curious what changes will occur, if it helps eliminates the very slight fatigue I get with the HD 600, I will be perfectly happy with the HD 600 and won't bother with getting the HD 650 and maybe other headphones in general.

Comfort is really a personal thing. I've had headphones people say are comfortable be uncomfortable to me and other headphones that people don't like the comfort of be perfectly fine comfort wise. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back