Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #9,826 of 23,482
  any update?
rolleyes.gif

Happy new year!

beerchug.gif

I was out on vacation for the past two weeks.  Vali/Modi arrived while I was gone and only opened them last night...but I realized I didn't have a decent RCA cable...now I am waiting on Monoprice >.< Hopefully this weekend I will finally get to listed to everything.  Luckily my new IE80s have been holding me over quite nicely!

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #9,827 of 23,482
As much as I've been enjoying the HD 600 so far, sometimes I feel like I need a little more bass, particularly in the sub-bass region. Instead of bass-boosting through my laptop EQ, and having to lower the preamp to compensate, I have the bass on +2 on my FiiO E07K and it seems to work pretty well. The FiiO's bass boost extends into the midbass, so to compensate, I lowered 200 Hz by 1.5 dB with a Q of .67 (100-400 Hz bandwidth). Works well for bringing up the lows a little without impacting the HD 600's already-solid midbass.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #9,828 of 23,482
If you can, wait until you have a few more shekels and look for a used M-Stage in the classifieds. I've seen nice units sell for ~$140. It's very good for that kind of money.

Thanks a lot for your recommendation but i'd rather get an unused amp. :)
I guess i'll have to go for E09K. 
So it will be :
Emu 0202 Line out > Fiio E09K > HD600, hope it'll be decent at least ?

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #9,829 of 23,482

Thanks a lot for your recommendation but i'd rather get an unused amp. :)
I guess i'll have to go for E09K. 
So it will be :
Emu 0202 Line out > Fiio E09K > HD600, hope it'll be decent at least ?

Take a look at the new Schiit Magni 2 Uber.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #9,830 of 23,482
It turns out my E07K doesn't have enough power in reserve to do any bass boosting; even with no EQ it clips at close to full volume. At 55/60 it's pretty loud, but I always appreciate a little headroom, especially if it means I can boost the low bass a little with volume to spare. Here comes the E09K to the rescue! 

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #9,831 of 23,482
Bravo Audio Ocean and HD600 go together like peanut butter and jelly. It has plenty of power to crank them up until your ears bleed (not that I would ever do that) and adds that little bit of warmth and bass to make you want to sit back and enjoy them for hours.

I literally purchased a more comfortable computer chair that reclines, main reason being that I plan on having many long listening sessions with this combo.

It's bitter cold outside, but the warm sound of my desktop set up is combatting it very well.

Cheers

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #9,832 of 23,482
Hey Guys,

I am at last a happy owner of the HD600! Santa came to this year and took away my wallet.

I am powering them from my Audio-gd NFB5 DAC/Amp. Not the best solution but it will have to do till Santa returns my wallet. I will be getting a custom built tube amp based on the 600s.....some day :)

I haven't had a lot of time to burn them but my first impressions are that rock music sounds really good. Clear and engaging. As a fellow member said...the headphones are true...almost too true :D. Vocals come out quite clear as well. I am picking up fluctuations in the tonality.

Happy for now, but I bet they are even better with a separate amp.

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #9,833 of 23,482
I guess I was somewhat happy with the HD600's from the beginning but I have come to find that these aren't a good fit for me. The midrange is best I have heard besides the DT860 but the lack of extension on both ends leaves me wanting for more engagement and excitement. There is too little definition and treble attack and the lower bass needs some convincing through EQ'ing and warm source matching to make them passable for me. I've since put them up for sale and I am looking forward to going back to Beyer-land where I seem to get the most in my musical enjoyment. It was fun chatting with you HD600 fans while I tried to give these headphones a fair chance! Feel free to PM me. If you want to find me, I'll be frequenting the T90 forums! Happy listening!

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #9,834 of 23,482

I was out on vacation for the past two weeks.  Vali/Modi arrived while I was gone and only opened them last night...but I realized I didn't have a decent RCA cable...now I am waiting on Monoprice >.< Hopefully this weekend I will finally get to listed to everything.  Luckily my new IE80s have been holding me over quite nicely!

Maybe you have RCA cables that you can borrow from your own stereo or tv setup, or go to a neighborhood radio shack, hardware store, etc?  You could be listening tonight rather than waiting on mail order.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #9,835 of 23,482
  Bravo Audio Ocean and HD600 go together like peanut butter and jelly. It has plenty of power to crank them up until your ears bleed (not that I would ever do that) and adds that little bit of warmth and bass to make you want to sit back and enjoy them for hours.

I literally purchased a more comfortable computer chair that reclines, main reason being that I plan on having many long listening sessions with this combo.

It's bitter cold outside, but the warm sound of my desktop set up is combatting it very well.

Cheers

I really want to get this amp. The problem is it came out in 2012 and the last thing I want to do is buy it and have the new version come out right after I buy it. I think I'm going to wait a while longer.

I guess I was somewhat happy with the HD600's from the beginning but I have come to find that these aren't a good fit for me. The midrange is best I have heard besides the DT860 but the lack of extension on both ends leaves me wanting for more engagement and excitement. There is too little definition and treble attack and the lower bass needs some convincing through EQ'ing and warm source matching to make them passable for me. I've since put them up for sale and I am looking forward to going back to Beyer-land where I seem to get the most in my musical enjoyment. It was fun chatting with you HD600 fans while I tried to give these headphones a fair chance! Feel free to PM me. If you want to find me, I'll be frequenting the T90 forums! Happy listening!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #9,836 of 23,482

I really want to get this amp. The problem is it came out in 2012 and the last thing I want to do is buy it and have the new version come out right after I buy it. I think I'm going to wait a while longer.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

I was going to buy a car, but I hear that they might come out with new models in the future, so I'll wait until they stop making stuff.  Then I'll buy the last one.

biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #9,838 of 23,482
Point well taken. However, if you know something new is coming out in one or two weeks, it might be worth it to wait for one or two weeks.

Certainly.  If that is known to be the case with the Bravo Ocean, then he should wait.  blse59, do you have information about an imminent new version? If not, then cut your Gordian knot!

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #9,840 of 23,482
You can get the Bravo Audio Ocean pretty cheap now. The only other thing I would consider besides this at this price point would be the xduoo ta-01, which is a single 12AU7 tube just like the Bravo, but it also has a USB DAC. It has dual wolfson chips, one for each channel. That's pretty impressive IMHO. Right now you can get the xduoo on Massdrop for like $135 shipped. 

Then again, I got my Bravo amp on Massdrop for $90 shipped.

Good times for audio my friend, good times indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back