Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #9,796 of 23,456
The Bravo amp is super powerful. I can't listen to my HD600 any higher than 1/3 volume, and that is saying a lot!

It adds a very slight amount of warmth, and opens up the soundstage. The best word I could use is that it "expands" the sound. Treble is crisp but not harsh at all. A very slight amount of color on the midrange that I wouldn't say is veiled. It makes the midrange on the HD600 even more lush, buttery smooth, and spectacular than it normally is IMHO.

In comparison, it is less harsh and slightly more powerful than my Cayin C5. The Cayin may sound a little more balanced and transparent, but with the HD600 the treble of the C5 can become fatiguing to my ears. Please not I am somewhat sensitive to crisp treble.

In comparison to the Fiio E18, the Bravo amp is many times more powerful. Both of them add a bit of warmth to the midrange, but the Bravo does it with incredible clarity. Treble is the same in terms of harshness, but the Bravo amp does it with better resolution.

I own the Topping NX1, Soundmagic A10, Cayin C5, Fiio E6, Fiio E18, and The Bravo. Out of all of them, the Bravo is the best for full sized cans most of the time is the Bravo (with just a couple of exceptions). The Cayin C5 comes in second. If you are thinking about getting a solid state amp for the HD600, The C5 has plenty of power and sounds great. The bass boost on the C5 works great also. Third place goes to the Fiio E18. It is a jack of all trades and a master of none. I use it regularly because it works great with IEMs, will push the HD600 beautifully in high gain setting, and it has a ton of versatility when used as a amp/DAC combo from your laptop. It also has android device DAC capabilities. 

Hope this helps

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #9,797 of 23,456
  The Bravo amp is super powerful. I can't listen to my HD600 any higher than 1/3 volume, and that is saying a lot!

It adds a very slight amount of warmth, and opens up the soundstage. The best word I could use is that it "expands" the sound. Treble is crisp but not harsh at all. A very slight amount of color on the midrange that I wouldn't say is veiled. It makes the midrange on the HD600 even more lush, buttery smooth, and spectacular than it normally is IMHO.

In comparison, it is less harsh and slightly more powerful than my Cayin C5. The Cayin may sound a little more balanced and transparent, but with the HD600 the treble of the C5 can become fatiguing to my ears. Please not I am somewhat sensitive to crisp treble.

In comparison to the Fiio E18, the Bravo amp is many times more powerful. Both of them add a bit of warmth to the midrange, but the Bravo does it with incredible clarity. Treble is the same in terms of harshness, but the Bravo amp does it with better resolution.

I own the Topping NX1, Soundmagic A10, Cayin C5, Fiio E6, Fiio E18, and The Bravo. Out of all of them, the Bravo is the best for full sized cans most of the time is the Bravo (with just a couple of exceptions). The Cayin C5 comes in second. If you are thinking about getting a solid state amp for the HD600, The C5 has plenty of power and sounds great. The bass boost on the C5 works great also. Third place goes to the Fiio E18. It is a jack of all trades and a master of none. I use it regularly because it works great with IEMs, will push the HD600 beautifully in high gain setting, and it has a ton of versatility when used as a amp/DAC combo from your laptop. It also has android device DAC capabilities. 

Hope this helps

That was very helpful, thanks! I've never listened to a tube amp before. I figured it might be fun to play around with one.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #9,799 of 23,456
I started a thread in the "recommendations" thread, but I haven't gotten any responses yet.  I thought that I'd ask here and get some opinions from HD 600 owners.  I'm looking to upgrade my amp from my Rega Ear.  It's a good little amp, but I thought that it would be better for $400.  The two amps that I am looking at are the Little Dot mk 4 SE and the Cayin HA-1A.  I think that I want to move in the direction of tubes because I really enjoy the liquid sound and warmth that they provide.  I have tried the Lyr in 2 different setups, and I did not dig the sound sig.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #9,800 of 23,456
I love my project Starlight by garage 1217 amp, with my hd600. Wonderful amp and plenty powerful, all for much cheaper than the lyr. Project ember by them also gets excellent reviews for hd600.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #9,801 of 23,456
I started a thread in the "recommendations" thread, but I haven't gotten any responses yet.  I thought that I'd ask here and get some opinions from HD 600 owners.  I'm looking to upgrade my amp from my Rega Ear.  It's a good little amp, but I thought that it would be better for $400.  The two amps that I am looking at are the Little Dot mk 4 SE and the Cayin HA-1A.  I think that I want to move in the direction of tubes because I really enjoy the liquid sound and warmth that they provide.  I have tried the Lyr in 2 different setups, and I did not dig the sound sig.

FWIW, I found a tube-rolled Little Dot mkIII to offer the most involving experience with the HD600 out of all my amps, most of which are more exclusive, if you will. Hopefully a LDIVSE owner will chime in. Good luck.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #9,802 of 23,456
I use an LD MKIV with upgraded tubes (essentially same as shipped with the SE).  Goes great with both the HD600 and also my T1.  Best thing with the LD's is that there are heaps of tube rolling options - and you can completely tailor sound to your preferences with a bit of experimentation.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #9,803 of 23,456
Awesome, thank you!  Nice amps, too.  I'm getting a Magni 2.  Seems like a good deal for a solid state desktop amp.
That's probably going to be my next purchase. I'm thinking about getting the modi 2 uber, and magni 2 uber. It will be worth the extra $100 for all the different input options, and to have the pre-amp out options.

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #9,805 of 23,456
Hi guys,

Just wanted to chime in and say that I use the HD600 with a fiio E17 at work to listen to punk, metalcore, hardcore, etc... almost exclusively. They sound great. For these genres I have personally preferred them to the DT880 600ohm (too bright), PS500 (didn't enjoy the earpad fit, like the over ear experience), HE400 (too bright and heavy). Although I enjoyed each of the headphone mentioned I felt myself always coming back to the HD600 and feeling at home. I have 2-6 hour sessions and they never fatigue my ears. Even at higher volumes. With the E17 through laptop USB I listen at +6db gain and volume 23-30.

I'm happy now with the E17. I feel at times though I would want just the littliest bit more warmth. Would adding the E09k keep the same sound bud just add more warmth. Does anyone have input  for me?

Cheers!

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #9,806 of 23,456

I was the one who suggested the HD600 in the other thread!  I did so not because it sounds the same as the RS1 (I didn't think that was the goal) but more beacause it fulfilled the brief ('great mids, smooth highs, more bass') and (IMHO) it's one of the best headphones around for ArmAndHammer's stated musical preferences:

I also think describing the HD600 as 'laidback' can be a little misleading (although I understand why it's used), as it makes it sound uninvolving (and that put me off buying one for ages!) The HD600 is anything but uninvolving, in my experience.  I find it to be the best headphone for all-round music enjoyment I've tried, and a perfect complement to a Grado, for rock, acoustic & jazz music.
I also think anyone who loves music owes it to themselves to try the HD600 (or HD650) at some point. It's just 'musical'
beerchug.gif

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't think they're "laid-back", I think they are very, very accurate and natural-sounding, which lends to their musicality. They remind me of Quad ESL 63 loudspeakers in that regard. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #9,807 of 23,456
That's probably going to be my next purchase. I'm thinking about getting the modi 2 uber, and magni 2 uber. It will be worth the extra $100 for all the different input options, and to have the pre-amp out options.

We don't have to worry about any of this with the Magni 2, right? 
confused_face.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/562736/what-causes-this-amp-related

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #9,808 of 23,456
  We don't have to worry about any of this with the Magni 2, right? 
confused_face.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/562736/what-causes-this-amp-related

No you won't. That's an almost 4 year old problem with the original Asgard which they fixed and retrofitted for free. None of their products since have had this issue. Is there a point to bringing up a non-issue?

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #9,809 of 23,456
  No you won't. That's an almost 4 year old problem with the original Asgard which they fixed and retrofitted for free. None of their products since have had this issue. Is there a point to bringing up a non-issue?

Nope, not at all.  I'm just your average, typical consumer looking out for the best interests of his prize gear.  
cool.gif

Thanks for the response.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #9,810 of 23,456
  Nope, not at all.  I'm just your average, typical consumer looking out for the best interests of his prize gear.  
cool.gif

Thanks for the response.

Or just trying to needlessly scare people with old non related stuff. IMO this is not looking out for someone, If the OP was looking to buy an old used Asgard 1, then maybe you would warn them to make sure it was updated. Other than that, I don't see the merit in the post or the way it was presented, What's next the old spring contacts problem with HD600's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back