Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #8,161 of 23,501

From my experience, the Q701s are bassier. They also have a wider soundstage which can be a positive or a negative. The HD600s have terrific mids. The treble is better on the HD600s, mainly due to a bump in the 6-8k range on the Q701s that cause noticeable sibilance (though I don't mind it too much, I can imagine it'd be a pain for some people). Overall the HD600s are a bit more neutral, though I quite enjoy the bass and wider soundstage of the Q701s. I prefer the Q701s for electronic music (eg. amon tobin, ryoji ikeda), but HD600s are more versatile overall (excellent for classical, but they will suit most music fine). I also imagine Q701s would be better for videogames. Comfort wise, the HD600s win, I can use them in bed comfortably and they feel barely there, but that's not to say the comfort on the Q701s aren't quite good too. Some people complain about the bumps on the headband of the Q701s but they haven't bothered me yet.

The Q701s are easily comparable with the HD600s in terms of sound quality and I have to say they are excellent value for their price (I got mine for $150). I would recommend anybody get a pair of Q701s if they can find them for that price (they retail for $600 in my country).

Thanks a lot for that reply, and after I get the HD600s I will be able to some a/bing with the DT880s myself but this is obviously after I do some serious listening of a lot of my albums and FLACs. I just re-downloaded the Inception Soundtrack and man I have to say the DT880s paired with either the CDAC+ and the Fournier, or UD110 and Vali sounds so detailed and engaging and I just have had that a long with the Game of Thrones soundtracks back to back for hours. I cannot wait to listen to the HD600

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #8,162 of 23,501
  Thanks a lot for that reply, and after I get the HD600s I will be able to some a/bing with the DT880s myself but this is obviously after I do some serious listening of a lot of my albums and FLACs. I just re-downloaded the Inception Soundtrack and man I have to say the DT880s paired with either the CDAC+ and the Fournier, or UD110 and Vali sounds so detailed and engaging and I just have had that a long with the Game of Thrones soundtracks back to back for hours. I cannot wait to listen to the HD600

Not a problem. As far as I know, they are more neutral than the DT880s (though I haven't tried 880s personally), I think you'll enjoy them. Have fun. :]

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #8,163 of 23,501
  Not a problem. As far as I know, they are more neutral than the DT880s (though I haven't tried 880s personally), I think you'll enjoy them. Have fun. :]

HD600 are more natural (timbre/tone).  DT880 are definitely more neutral (flatter freq).

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #8,166 of 23,501
Which version of the dt880 are we talking about here? The 250 ohm or 600 ohm? Also do the 250 ohm pair well with dx90? I have the hd600 and I use the e12 with my dx90.

The version they may be talking about is the Premium 600 ohm version, I did not have the money for the better but more power hungry version. I am using the 250ohm version, and i happen to love it more than i thought I would for shure...figured it would be a more relaxed DT990....if anything the DT990 is a DT880 with too much caffeine in the morning... really likely this headphone. Only like 16-17 hours until the post gets here with my HD600 to use, not to mention a nicer quality replacement cable for my Fostex HP-A3.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #8,167 of 23,501
Right now I only own the HD600, but I've had the HD650 and the Q701 and remember very well their sound signatures. I, for one, wouldn't keep more than one full sized open headphone, but I'm an headfier on a tight budget. I just happened to go through those other two until I found the right one for me.

I hope to like the PX100-II as I've read nice things about them on their appreciation thread. It'll be nice to have an easy to power, light and portable open headphone instead of having to choose between a full sized open headphone or an IEM, as they have a completely different presentation.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #8,168 of 23,501
  The Q701s and K701s are meant to be identical right? My Q701s are noticeably bassier than HD600s. Measurements also back this up, but they also show the Q701s are bassier than K701s.

What's the deal?

My Q701 were very bass light compared to my HD600. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #8,169 of 23,501

Hm are the HD600 bassier right off the rip fro the Q701s? or they need some time to burn in before the bass opens up? I am very happy with the fournier amps control over bass for a hybrid and I not having a ton of experiences with amps in general I would say it is very solid state, but in the best of ways while keeping a bit of the livelier feel a tube can give in some instances. I reeally like it very much and I hope the HD 600 likes it as well.

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #8,170 of 23,501
The Q701 were very shouty/harsh right out of the box, but some 20 hours or something later they were much better and it wasn't just me getting used to the sound. I listened to the Q701 for 10min and then left the room letting them playing music on repeat and only listened again hours later.
They were sounding much better at the time but didn't notice any further improvement later on and while they seemed to excel with classical music, they were still bass light (too much for me - and I'm fine with the RE0 IEM which is known for being bass shy) on pop/soft rock and the treble was "plasticky/artificial". They were still the made in Austria version, S/N 19*** if that matters.
The soundstage was also quite wide and spacious but, maybe as a consequence, not very focused.

The HD600 have a smaller soundstage (my favorite on that aspect was the HD650, width wise it was between the Q701 and the HD600, but the placement/focus of the instruments was spot on!), but the tone/timbre is very realistic. Bass, mids, treble, all very well integrated and natural.

I found the HD650 too dark. There was too much mid-bass (voices sounded too bassy) and the treble, while refined, was quite subdued, lacking that bit of sparkle.

So I ended up with the HD600 and I'm a happy camper!

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #8,171 of 23,501

HD600 are more natural (timbre/tone).  DT880 are definitely more neutral (flatter freq).

Oh, ok. I always heard the DT880 was more v-shaped. Could be thinking of another DTxxx.

That's odd. The first thing I noticed when I tried the Q701s were how bassy they are. Maybe it's something to do with amplification/dac.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #8,172 of 23,501
  The Q701 were very shouty/harsh right out of the box, but some 20 hours or something later they were much better and it wasn't just me getting used to the sound. I listened to the Q701 for 10min and then left the room letting them playing music on repeat and only listened again hours later.
They were sounding much better at the time but didn't notice any further improvement later on and while they seemed to excel with classical music, they were still bass light (too much for me - and I'm fine with the RE0 IEM which is known for being bass shy) on pop/soft rock and the treble was "plasticky/artificial". They were still the made in Austria version, S/N 19*** if that matters.
The soundstage was also quite wide and spacious but, maybe as a consequence, not very focused.

The HD600 have a smaller soundstage (my favorite on that aspect was the HD650, width wise it was between the Q701 and the HD600, but the placement/focus of the instruments was spot on!), but the tone/timbre is very realistic. Bass, mids, treble, all very well integrated and natural.

I found the HD650 too dark. There was too much mid-bass (voices sounded too bassy) and the treble, while refined, was quite subdued, lacking that bit of sparkle.

So I ended up with the HD600 and I'm a happy camper!

Yeah, I have heard people feel that about the Q701/K701 phones, but then I hear people say they are beautiful, open, and organic. I know the more headphones I own and or try out for more than a hour I find what kind of tastes I have as far as headphone sound signature, open and or closed(open), what kind of drivers I prefer which I am still learning about alot of different things when it comes to audio gear but I am totally cool with that. Because of this **** I actually got back into music again like actually singing along with songs and getting lost in a solo or breakdown. It is something that I needed at this juncture in my life with all the bad that has happened as of late.  I truly believe I wiill enjoy the HD600 but in actually I have no real clue if I will.  Everyone has different tastes, I know I am digging the new amp and am looking for a decent solid state amp that has good quality per price to go with the HD600s and 880s.  I am thoroughly considering options for when I have enough saved( going to be a bit) but I am leaning to the Matrix M-stage because I have heard so much undoubtedly positive reviews and praise about the headphone amp. I also like the look and off shape for an amp.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #8,173 of 23,501

Will mostly be combo of pads settling in, positioning on head, and brain burn-in.

This might interest you - as it relates directly to the Q701 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

Worth reading the whole article and especially the conclusions on page 4.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #8,175 of 23,501

Will mostly be combo of pads settling in, positioning on head, and brain burn-in.

This might interest you - as it relates directly to the Q701 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

Worth reading the whole article and especially the conclusions on page 4.

I am writing this directed at you first since you and I talked about this the most with me. Being that I just received the HD600s like 15 min ago and literally tore through the box with broken scissors, at first I think I was having a feinting spell..(not really but it adds to the flavor of my story). I then proceeded to karate chop the crap out of the little air packaging bags to get to the other Mrs.(yes I know it was fast for we just met, but damn does she just get me so well, like it was fate.) I placed the senns on my above average size dome, and really these feel great...equally as comfortable or more so than the DT 990s(880s included but they have shallower cups where pads hits my ear, which actually is strangely comfortable) Yes the clamping force is more in general but where the 880 and 990 pro clamp at the beginning of my wide jaw line and causes readjustment these have a clamp all around making a kind of cushiony seal. I was very happy at this being that I cannot where grados due to on ear discomfort. I had music playing on the 880s so I switched it out I started with the song welcome home by Coheed, which is probably the main cd I like from them due to the mix of progressive and other genres. And I can say they do just right for rock imo, granted the dt880s maybe do it a bit better with some things have not had time to find out yet, but I do not know if it is better oppose to different. I am going to listen to other tracks and some instrumental and folk. i will be back after my complete impressions is finished. I am very happy to say the least, comfort is great so far, listening is even better, and I actually like the way they look in person much better than photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back